Main Menu

News:

If you are having problems registering, please e-mail theconclaveforum at gmail.com

1/35 Scale Models

Started by Brother_Brimstone, February 25, 2010, 07:54:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brother_Brimstone

I recently bought the following model, after discovering the site through the conclave;

http://www.smartmaxstore.com/hauptsturmfuhrer-von-kardsten-en.htm

I want to convert him to be a renegade/heretic guardsman (i wanted one which looked like a Death Korps Of Krieg guardsman, not for any fluff reasons, but because i really like the 'gas mask' aesthetic).

My main problem is, having only seen Inquisitor models, and never 1/35 models (or at least never knowing that was the scale), I was wondering whether the model would be okay to pass for a smallish fella, or whether it would be just TOO small.

Any help would be really appreciated.

precinctomega

Having seen the mini IRL, myself, I decided it was just too small, beautiful though it unquestionably is.  Similarly, the Smog range is just a bit too small, IMO, to stand comfortably alongside INQ minis.

R.

Brother_Brimstone

Righto, thanks very much for the advice - if i can't find another model better suited to the job, i may have to end up woking it into my character's fluff that he was always a 'runt of the litter' - could lead to some interesting 'napolean complex' implications. I suppose i'll just have to see if even that's too much of a strech once it arrives.

Even if i can't use it for Inquisitor, i'm still glad i bought it, i really like its theme.

greenstuff_gav

while he may become skinny, shouldn't be too difficult to extend his limbs?

love the SmartMax stuff.. have a couple myself, but horribly priced :(
i make no apologies, i warned you my ability to roll ones was infectious...

Build Your Imagination

Kaled

Andrea do some nice WWI soldiers in gas masks that may suit your purposes...

http://www.historexagents.com/shop/hxproductdetail.php?ProductCode=S3F13
I like to remember things my own way... Not necessarily the way they happened.

Inquisitor - Blood Bowl - Malifaux - Fairy Meat

MarcoSkoll

Inquisitor is pretty much 1/32th "Heroic" - so they're bulkier than a "true 1/32" model.
My more naturally proportioned sculpts are done to about 1/30th, which I find helps stop them looking inherently scrawny next to the regular models.

Now, I do models of all kinds of different scale heights, from about 51mm (~5' 1"/155 cm) to 63mm (~6' 3"/190 cm). Both extremes are perfectly reasonable heights for humans.

I reckon a 1/35th model will normally come out at about 50mm tall... so about 5 feet. Short for a human male (at least by UK standards), but nothing that would be impossible.
Your model is claimed to be 52mm (although a little of that will be the hat) - so I say go with it. He'll be on the short and scrawny side, but that's nothing the background (and modest S&T stats) can't fix.
S.Sgt Silva Birgen: "Good evening, we're here from the Adeptus Defenestratus."
Captain L. Rollin: "Nonsense. Never heard of it."
Birgen: "Pick a window. I'll demonstrate".

GW's =I= articles

Brother_Brimstone

Wow, thanks very much for all the help.

I had seen the andrea one, but i wasnt sure on the pose and also how baggy the mask was. I also liked the coat on the smart max one. Thanks for all the help, and i'll get pictures up as soon as i receive and begin work on him.

Kaled

I like to remember things my own way... Not necessarily the way they happened.

Inquisitor - Blood Bowl - Malifaux - Fairy Meat

Myriad

Not to waste my earlier calculations on how feasable an even shorter model is.  52mm (stated height) multiplied by 52 means he's 1.66 metres, well within .  That makes him pretty short according to the height distributions of most countries, but not unfeasably so.  For some countries it's about average though, and there's reason to assume that across the imperium the 'normal' height varies between populations.

Inquisitor guys do tend to be quite large - the kroot, I think, gain a foot or so.  This isn't necessarily representative and the odd small model could fit.  I'd certainly use the model, but I'd probably try to plan the height of the rest of the warband so as not to show him up.
I had better point out, that some of the clubs I represent are of a military bent.

You know what you are?  A plywood shark!

Flinty

Ah, finished lurking....

Ive just ordered some Dragon 1/35th minis (mouldling looks very crisp on t'internet) with the same idea in mind. I was going to attempt a bulking up process simillar to Vermis's Cadian WIP - although with my modelling skills they might head towards teletubbies....

No reason why the Underhive drafts into the Guard regiments would be anything less than stunted, short, malformed or otherwise runty looking. Dont forget the Industrial towns and cities in the UK produced several 'Bantam' regiments during WW1 - I think the Germans did too in the later years - men too short or slight to meet the usual requirements (err...not that they were malformed or runty in any way in case I am offending anyones ancestors).

The only real problem I see with the bulking up process is Marco's point about tiny heads - fine if they are just short people, but I have only ever met a couple of real life 'pin-heads' before, so a whole entourage might be pushing it.

Neanderthal and Proud!

Vermis

Quote from: Flinty on February 26, 2010, 08:46:39 AMI was going to attempt a bulking up process simillar to Vermis's Cadian WIP

Whee!

QuoteThe only real problem I see with the bulking up process is Marco's point about tiny heads - fine if they are just short people, but I have only ever met a couple of real life 'pin-heads' before, so a whole entourage might be pushing it.

I'll start to bulk up the Cadian's head in the next couple of steps.  I've already practised on another head in the kit, and it went fairly well.  Needs a touch of anatomical knowledge, though, and might be more of an effort with 1/35 minis; though I guess not so much with 'bantamweights'.
www.minisculpture.co.uk - a place about pushing putty 'til it does what you want it.  Currently recuperating from being hackered and knackered.

Flinty

Bugger! Just recieved the 1/35 plastics - very nice moulding and each individual figure comes in a gratifying large number of pieces.....but the scale is waaaay out. Even inserting spacers into every joint, and making a few more, would still result in some kind of 'honey, i shrunk your sidekicks' look.

However, the accesories are excellent - rifle magazine clips with 5 individual bullets, bolts for the rifles, pouches, trench spades and some nice brass etched straps/belts - even 3 watches! Does anyone wear a watch in the Grimdark?

Otherwise, I think I have just bought some rather expensive armatures; which may not be a bad thing.

(I have since stuck a post-it to the monitor with '1/32' written on it). 
Neanderthal and Proud!

MarcoSkoll

The problem will presumably be on both the bulk and height front.

A 28mm Heroic model, while about 1/60th height, looks about in scale with a 1/48th size vehicle because of the model's extra bulk - which as I say, is why I tend to work at the slightly larger 1/30th scale for my sculpts. Possibly makes them a mite tall (not notably), but keeps them from looking completely scrawny next to the normal models.

QuoteDoes anyone wear a watch in the Grimdark?
No, they wear "Chronometers"... ;)
S.Sgt Silva Birgen: "Good evening, we're here from the Adeptus Defenestratus."
Captain L. Rollin: "Nonsense. Never heard of it."
Birgen: "Pick a window. I'll demonstrate".

GW's =I= articles

DapperAnarchist

You can use them as a frame on which you sculpt... I'm using some for that, but I bought a big bag of tank and infantry parts for a fiver...
Questions are a burden to others, answers a burden to oneself.

The Keltani Subsector  My P&M Thread - Most recent, INQ28!