Main Menu

News:

If you are having problems registering, please e-mail theconclaveforum at gmail.com

Zophar - WIP

Started by Brother_Brimstone, March 01, 2010, 09:42:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brother_Brimstone

http://s988.photobucket.com/albums/af8/Brother_Brimstone/Zophar/?action-view&current=DSCN2189.jpg

There is zophar - i haven't attached his arms yet, as they require conversion - i've posted him up with regards to my question of his size. He's standing next to a Redemptionist from Necromunda

http://s988.photobucket.com/albums/af8/Brother_Brimstone/Zophar/?action-view&current=DSCN2190.jpg

There he is by a ruler

Also, I wanted to ask about the autogun I'm converting from scratch - obviously i'll need to elongate the barrel of one of these two guns, but which is a better basis? One is a chaos space marine bolter, and the other is the combined pieces of two ork shootas, which I attached in order to make it more resemble the basis of an autogun. Even so, I'd like to know whether you think the standard bolter is probably a better bet.

http://s988.photobucket.com/albums/af8/Brother_Brimstone/Zophar/?action-view&current=guncompare.jpg

Ignore the background - the only way I could get my camera to focus without reflecting its flash was to photograph them in the palm of my hand.

RobSkib

Do you have any scale pictures against inquisitor models? Also, is that the smart max model?
An Inquisitor walks into a bar - he rolls D100 to see if he hits it.
                                     +++++++
Gallery of my Inquisitor models here.

Brother_Brimstone

No, I don't have any other Inquisitor models yet - Zophar is my first actual Inquisitor model (up until now i've only played inquisitor with friends' models or at 28mm scale).

And yes, he is the smart max model, the one with the ridiculously long name from the mauser earth series. Expensive (although no more expensive than an official inuisitor model), but it was exactly the look I wanted, so I let my wallet take one for the team. I think i've finished the gun conversion now - i'll upload the picture and link you once i've done so.

Brother_Brimstone

The gun - it doesn't look much while unpainted, but i'm sure it will improve with paint. The thing on the bottom is meant to be a laser dot projector, the thing on the barrel is meant to be a silencer and the thing on top is meant to be a scope.

Any criticism is welcomed, my main problems are; is the barrel too short, and is the scope too large? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

EDIT: Yeah, it would probably be more help if i actually posted the link - sorry about that.
http://s988.photobucket.com/albums/af8/Brother_Brimstone/Zophar/?action=view&current=gun3.jpg

RobSkib

Try and avoid double posting, there's an edit post button in the top right of your post, its just generally more acceptable forum etiquette :)

The gun - I'd shave off some of the excess rivets (it'll make it look less orky), I'd also try and smooth some of that GS down. I usually avoid GS when making guns, it makes them look really botched when they're painted. I think the silencer is a bit thick, if it was longer and thinner I think it would look smashing.
                                     +++++++

Brother_Brimstone

Righto, thanks very much. Do you not think the scope might be disproportionately large then? It's one of those things where i'm not entirely happy with it, but I have no better ideas, and I wonder whether anything else I try may well end up looking worse.

EDIT - Right, i've got the gun alongside Zophar (for an idea of scale), and with the suggested change to the silencer. I'm done for the night, i'll pick up on it tomorrow if i get time. Any more comments/criticisms from anyone would be really appreciated - i'd be especially interested in suggested improvements for the sniper scope, as I can't think of anything better than as is, but i' think it's disproportionately large..

http://s988.photobucket.com/albums/af8/Brother_Brimstone/Zophar/?action=view&current=zopharandgun.jpg

RobSkib

Is the gun going with him? If so, I'd scrap the eyepiece of the scope and have a series of trailing wires leading to an input in his gas mask. Ever tried to aim down a scope in a gas mask? Not easy, plus an MIU link is very 40k!
                                     +++++++

Brother_Brimstone

Wow, that's a brilliant idea, thanks very much, i shall definitely give some thought as to how to implement that. As a side not, the last thing I did before clearing my modelling gear away for the night was to lose the scope from the gun anyway - it looks much better without. More pictures tomorrow then!

Thanks for your time and help.

Brother_Brimstone

Ferran

I checked out some 1:35 soldiers on my way home today and I agree with the sentiment that they're a bit small. Commendable work on the sword there, looks like a smooth, clean creation. However I do think it's a bit large and could perhaps use a second try (same as before but a little smaller and finer).

Kaled

I think the rifle really needs a stock (some thin plastic cut and filed to shape would be perfect), and I agree with Ferran that the sword is a bit big - but then it is supposed to be a sword that was wielded by an Alpha Legionaire.  Maybe make the hit a bit larger to balance it out somewhat?
I like to remember things my own way... Not necessarily the way they happened.

Inquisitor - Blood Bowl - Malifaux - Fairy Meat

Brother_Brimstone

I fear I cannot accept praise on the sword - my crafting skills are very limited, and the sword is in fact a sword wielded by a greater daemon of slaanesh, cut down and attached to the hilt from something else. The only bit of it which I crafted was the handle - probably the worst part!

And I agree the sword is gigantic in proportion to Zophar, large enpugh to cleave him clean in half - but that was my intention - he is about 5 foot odd (five and a half max), and the man who made the sword was about eight foot (eight foot is about right for a space marine, yes?). Therefore, it serves to reason that the sword is almost as big as Zophar. However, he HAS to carry the sword around - Zophar CANNOT not carry that sword. In gameplay mechanics or fluff I doubt he'd have the strength to lift either of his weapons single handed (he'd presumably sling the weapon he's not using over his back), but for ease of modelling and to create an 'action pose' I just made it so he was holding both.

Thank you for the advice on the stock though - looking at the Imperial Guard autoguns I was thinking myself that a stock would probably improve the gun.

Myriad

Of course, he's got demonic strength.  Placed in that context, cool looking sword - it still isn't a very balanced blade though, I'd be tempted to bulk out the handle a bit (2 handed swords had huge hilts).  I like the rifle but again, there's a lack of balancing weight and I agree it would benefit from a stock.
I had better point out, that some of the clubs I represent are of a military bent.

You know what you are?  A plywood shark!

Flinty

Nice. I was looking at the Smart Max models as well, so good to see one in the....err....flesh.

Yep huge demonic sword once weilded by a semi-superbeing could perhaps have a longer 2 handed hilt; I'd imagine Zophar would find it difficult to get any craftsman to meddle with possesed materials to shortnen what was originally there, and I dont imagine the entity would be too keen on having its 'bits' played with either...

Sling - stock, either, but I know from experience that stocks are more durable on models than even the most cunningly folded slings.

Keep posting the pics.
Neanderthal and Proud!

Adlan

A Sword that big needs a better handle. another fist length and a nice pommel on the hilt would do wonder for it's asthetic. And the Gun need's a Stock.