Main Menu

News:

If you are having problems registering, please e-mail theconclaveforum at gmail.com

Inquisitor Solace Bastille

Started by Lucidum, March 07, 2010, 05:17:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DapperAnarchist

Liberalness in the Imperium is a funny one - some point out that the Imperium needs every human body it can get, and so can't go around favouring one gender over the other. Others point out that as the Imperium is theocratic, fascist, xenophobic, speciecist, eugenicist and so on, why shouldn't they cover lots of other prejudices? - Homophobia, sexual intolerance, Anti-ecological, anti-'queer' (in the broad sense), etc.

On balance, I go for the "Its a big galaxy" theory. A lot of the Imperium will be intolerant to anything outside their own way of doing things, but some areas will have more lee-way.

A Feminist Inquisitor could be a religiously motivated one - Why are all the "Statuary" (a word I've just assigned a new meaning to, that of "Those heroes who must be represented by statues in any Orthodox Temple of the Emperor" - The Emperor, Dorn, Sanguinus, Gulliman, Russ, Malcador, Thor and the like) male, and why are the Brides of the Emperor and the Living Saints and so on left out? Admittedly, I've never seen any evidence that they are in the fluff... but that just means you get to invent it.
Questions are a burden to others, answers a burden to oneself.

The Keltani Subsector  My P&M Thread - Most recent, INQ28!

MarcoSkoll

Quote from: Lucidum on March 08, 2010, 06:52:50 AMMarco- as for your concerns on the powerful stats of the character, I'm not sure why she would be considered too strong (although definitely too much equipment), the stats were just a result of my D10 or D6 rolling on the randomized stat generator for an Inquisitor character in the rulebook.
As Kaled says, quite a lot of the forum don't use the random generators, instead hand-picking stats based on the descriptions of stat values near the front of the rulebook.

As a result, on that scale characters are considered exceptional in an area when they have stats in the 70 range (but there's been a certain amount of disagreement going on over the last few days as to the exact interpretation what a particular value might mean and how different stat values can combine).

Generally, it's a rare situation to see a stat exceeding 80 on my character profiles. However, don't feel you need to conform to the level that I use.

QuoteThe assassin will be in a new post on this part of the forum once I work out the details for him/her. I am kind of discouraged now because of all the negative feedback...
Don't let yourself be. If you post a character, particularly one that tries to plumb unusual depths for the 40k universe, some people will like it, some people will have less positive criticisms to make of it.
It's a forum full of people of different opinions - you'd be very lucky to post a character that everyone thought was perfect. I might even go so far as to say that it's impossible.

In your case, you stretched things a bit too far for my liking with the whole Adepta Sororitas thing. But given the science in the Imperium, a transgender character is perfectly valid, and something that I don't see done often.
While there are some reasonably frequent meta-examples, such as when the creator decides to swap the character's sex from their original concept, or the slightly weird deviantArt 40k meme where the artist is encouraged to draw a "gender swapped version" of the character in question, going into it seriously isn't all that commonly done.
S.Sgt Silva Birgen: "Good evening, we're here from the Adeptus Defenestratus."
Captain L. Rollin: "Nonsense. Never heard of it."
Birgen: "Pick a window. I'll demonstrate".

GW's =I= articles

Inquisitor Cade

I'm looking forward to seeing the backgrounds and profiles you come up with for the two of them.

To reiterate though, the profiles given at the back of the book particulary those of Inquisitors, are pretty broken. There are descriptions of the stats near the beginning that say what stats are suitable for whatr level of skill. Ws/Bs 80 for example both indicate being an absolute master up close or with guns respectively, for a character to have even close to that level on both makes them more than extraordinaty. And Inquisitor might achieve Ws 80 or Bs 80 is it were the main thing they focused on, and a really elite warrior might be able to be Bs and Ws 70's.
*Insert token witticism*

Brother_Brimstone

Quote from: Lucidum on March 08, 2010, 06:52:50 AM
The assassin will be in a new post on this part of the forum once I work out the details for him/her. I am kind of discouraged now because of all the negative feedback...

Negative feedback shouldn't be something that discourages you; it should be something that spurs you. If you post a character on the Conclave, you should be prepared to have it torn into, at least a little. If you are posting a character, you shouldn't post it expecting everyone to laud it as the greatest thing they've ever seen. I'm sorry if I sound a bit harsh, it is not my intention, I merely tell yuo this because I remeber my first character experience of the 'clave. It was on the old clave, and Charax seemed to be a much more frequent poster than he is now. I remeber that he had a major reputation for his encyclopaedic knowledge of the 40K 'verse, and that if you wanted backstory feedback - he was the guy. I posted my first edition of Zophar, and it got absolutely destroyed. The quote i remeber most is 'you've used every single half assed trick in the book'. The attitude to take from thsi (And the attitidue i tried to adopt) was 'well, that didn't work - let's use it as an opportunity to help my character grow and become more real', and I feel extremely grateful for being pushed to do so, because i'm very pleased with Zophar's current (fairly expansive) backstory.

So if you think that your feedback is negative, ask why. It's not ebcause the people here are mean, and want to destroy your vision - in fact i've found this forum to be filled with extremely helpful individuals who have really guided me, and helped my knowledge to grow. It's probably because they want to help your character to be more than something that is at odds with the 40k universe, or at odds with realism, they want to help your character to be the best character it can be. I agree it can seem intimidating when you realise you must re-write your backstory, but its unreasonable to post a character and then tell people that they've discouraged you because it has problems. It isn't their fault it has problems, they could just ignore the problems and go 'yup, fine', but that helps no one.

So, onwards and upwards! I look forward to reading the second incarnation of your character(s)

Lucidum

I guess I am only discouraged because in my experience, with the groups I travel in, I am the one with the encycloepedic knowledge of 40K, and that's usually something I've been proud of. But now, starting in a new place like this I feel like an ameature all over again.

MarcoSkoll

Well, I wouldn't feel too bad!

As it is, the Conclave may well be the amongst the most concentrated sources of 40k knowledge going. With most people here taking a serious interest in the background, the forum collectively could probably make some Games Workshop designers feel under-read on the subject
S.Sgt Silva Birgen: "Good evening, we're here from the Adeptus Defenestratus."
Captain L. Rollin: "Nonsense. Never heard of it."
Birgen: "Pick a window. I'll demonstrate".

GW's =I= articles

Brother_Brimstone

I agree with Marco - one of the largest attractions to inquisitor for me was that I love the 40k background so much, I wanted to be able to delve deep into it, and sort of create a world where my own characters are a part of it. I can't speak for anypne else, but i would imagine this is true for a lot of the people here. Therefore, it serves to reason that a lot of people here are the kind of people who know a lot about the 40k background.

Lucidum

Ah, well I guess it seems like I'm in the right place then.  :D