Main Menu

News:

If you are having problems registering, please e-mail theconclaveforum at gmail.com

A bit big maybe...

Started by Gourdo, March 10, 2010, 04:49:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shard

Sweet balls of Dorn! You could build a decent-sized Inquisitor-scale Imperial Guard platoon for the amount that thing costs!

Heroka Vendile

...it's a foot tall, that makes it bigger than a Dreadnaught would be in Inquisitor. It is, however, cool.
It's all fun and games until someone shoots their own guy with a Graviton gun instead of the MASSIVE SPIDER.
The Order of Krubal
Rewards Of The Enemy

DapperAnarchist

While that is absurdly large, and expensive, there might be cheaper toy versions...
Questions are a burden to others, answers a burden to oneself.

The Keltani Subsector  My P&M Thread - Most recent, INQ28!

MarcoSkoll

Quote from: Heroka Vendile on March 10, 2010, 06:18:43 PM...it's a foot tall.
No it isn't. It's a 30 inch, not a 30 centimetre model.

At that size, it would be about the size of an Inquisitor scale Reaver Titan!
S.Sgt Silva Birgen: "Good evening, we're here from the Adeptus Defenestratus."
Captain L. Rollin: "Nonsense. Never heard of it."
Birgen: "Pick a window. I'll demonstrate".

GW's =I= articles

DapperAnarchist

... Oh no. You went and said it. Someone is going to do it now...

MarcoSkoll

Quote from: DapperAnarchist on March 10, 2010, 07:17:03 PMSomeone is going to do it now...
I think the practical problems with fitting a 30" model onto a typical table rather outweigh the impressiveness of such a thing.
Anything that big would be pretty much relegated to being a static terrain piece, unless the terrain was very sparse, very cunningly placed, or moved to make way for the Titan.

Not that I'm necessarily trying to put anyone off if they are thinking about doing an Inquisitor scale Titan, but I'm just sharing a few of the problems I turned up in the planning stages of making a 40k scale Warlord (which would have been about 2 feet tall) several years back.

GW's =I= articles

DapperAnarchist

Given that, in theory, an Inquisitor game could last about 5 minutes of game time, I see no reason why it could not take place at the foot of a titan, that moves extremely slowly...

MarcoSkoll

While I don't have a figure on the speed of a Reaver, a Warhound has a top speed exceeding 35 mph.
Given most humans can't muster more than about half that (particularly when carrying the kind of stuff our characters do), a Titan would need to be expressly still, not merely "moving very slowly".

Which wouldn't be infeasible. A Reaver could well be performing long range fire support (big awareness penalties for the whole game, of course) - but why the characters are going to be hanging around underneath it is a bit of a different question.

GW's =I= articles

Kallidor

I guess 30inches works out about 80feet or so at 54mm? That'd make it even bigger than a Reaver Titan, plus the price is absurd. I've seen a 9inch AMP suit for twenty dollars which isn't as well made as this but much more accessible.
Be Pure!
Be Vigilant!
BEHAVE!

MarcoSkoll

Quote from: Kallidor on March 11, 2010, 01:52:04 AMI guess 30inches works out about 80feet or so at 54mm? That'd make it even bigger than a Reaver Titan.
Reavers, as best as can be worked out, are about 23-24 meters in height if you include the typical carapace mounted missile launcher. So, about 75-80 feet.

Given I expect the 30" figure includes the quite chunky base on that model, I'd say the two would pretty much match up in size.

GW's =I= articles

Flinty

Cool it maybe, but do they ever actually sell any?

I once spent a short time making props at the, now long defunct, Alien War ''attraction'' at the Trocadero, and would very occasionally *cough* suppliment *cough* our subsistence wages by selling off an Alien suit (head, hands, tail etc ,taken from an original film prop) for the huge fee, then of £400. From which was taken the cost of latex, buiscuit foam, etc etc; my share left me with enough to add the luxury of beans to my toast once a day for the next 2 weeks if I was careful...

Neanderthal and Proud!

Myriad

Quote from: DapperAnarchist on March 11, 2010, 01:25:30 AM
Given that, in theory, an Inquisitor game could last about 5 minutes of game time, I see no reason why it could not take place at the foot of a titan, that moves extremely slowly...

Hmm.  A slowly descending titan foot...
I had better point out, that some of the clubs I represent are of a military bent.

You know what you are?  A plywood shark!

DapperAnarchist

Quote from: MarcoSkoll on March 11, 2010, 01:51:30 AM
While I don't have a figure on the speed of a Reaver, a Warhound has a top speed exceeding 35 mph.
Given most humans can't muster more than about half that (particularly when carrying the kind of stuff our characters do), a Titan would need to be expressly still, not merely "moving very slowly".

Which wouldn't be infeasible. A Reaver could well be performing long range fire support (big awareness penalties for the whole game, of course) - but why the characters are going to be hanging around underneath it is a bit of a different question.

Well, the obvious option is sabotage. Other options include - Heretek trying to get access to a Dark Age MIU, Thorian who thinks this Reaver is the one that might manifest the Emperor's spirit, assassination attempt covered up by the noise of battle (to quote Jack O'Neill - "Oh, its like shooting someone when the train goes past so no-one hears it!"), Monodominant has commandeered this Reaver to shell a city to dust for a minor infraction, and another Inquisitor decides this is unacceptable...

Damn it, now I need to go to Smyths...

precinctomega

Having built and painted a 40k Reaver titan a couple of months ago, I can report that it stands at about 18" tall, so an INQ version would need to be about 36-40" tall.

Not impossible, by any means.  I have plans for a 40k Imperator titan (i.e. I've drawn up the plans and rough blueprints not "I'm planning to build...") which stands 42" tall.

R.