Main Menu

News:

If you are having problems registering, please e-mail theconclaveforum at gmail.com

Change is Afoot for Dark Magenta!

Started by Saussure, March 12, 2010, 11:35:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Saussure

As those of you who have loyally downloaded and read our humble magazine will be aware, it's been rather a long time since a new issue of Dark Magenta has graced the web. Whilst we're all rather embarrassed by this, the truth is that "real life" was rather getting in the way of the production method we'd created, and we had been sitting on almost enough material for Issue 4 for a very long time, whilst never quite having enough content at the same time!

The proposed solution is a change to the fashion in which Dark Magenta will publish content for the foreseeable future. We now intend to release new articles as-and-when they become available, on an individual basis. The first two examples of this approach can now be found on the Dark Magenta website. While I would admit that this has been a pragmatic change to allow us to once again issue content, I'm also very excited by the opportunities it brings us, and the added flexibility we'll have to get the best content out to the community as soon as we can. Look out for more articles over the coming weeks!

Of course, we still need your help with content in the future, and you can continue to use our submissions@darkmagenta.co.uk e-mail address, or contact the editor directly at editor@darkmagenta.co.uk. Alternatively, for those of you who frequent The Conclave, a personal message to the moderators will also flag your ideas for content. Whilst we have some articles lined up over the coming month, we need your help in the long term. We also intend to continue with our infrequent series of faction source books, so keep an eye on the website for the next installment.

Before I go, I must extend my thanks to Dave Knowles for his work on formatting the first batch of articles in the new format, and for helping to sort out the teething problems along the way.

Kind regards,

Derek
(Editor-in-Chief, Dark Magenta)

Herodotus Benedict Saussure
Ordo Hereticus Terran
Forum Moderator

Kaled

I'm not about to comment on my own writing (but others are welcome to do so), but I thought Ben's article was excellent - I read it a few times while doing the layout and enjoyed it immensely.  He's done a great job of capturing some of the lazy cliches that appear all too often in the background of characters and I wonder if the article might make uncomfortable reading for some people...  There were certainly somethings in there that I might think about adding into the background for some of my characters - the bit about competition between acolytes ties in with a lot of the thoughts I've been having about acolytes taking more of a role in games of Inquisitor.

As well as doing layout for articles, I've got a couple more pieces in the works and I hope the fact that we can turn articles around and get them published a lot more quickly will encourage more people to submit articles.
I like to remember things my own way... Not necessarily the way they happened.

Inquisitor - Blood Bowl - Malifaux - Fairy Meat

Heroka Vendile

It's good to see the change to help DM escape the rut it seemed to be stuck in (from the outside at least), I like the simple layout choice as well.
How are you planning to have the articles available on the site? A slight restructuring of the Magazine screen?
It's all fun and games until someone shoots their own guy with a Graviton gun instead of the MASSIVE SPIDER.
The Order of Krubal
Rewards Of The Enemy

Kaled

I notice that this thread has a fairly small number of views; have we had many downloads of the new articles or do we need to advertise more?

What do people think of the new layout?
I like to remember things my own way... Not necessarily the way they happened.

Inquisitor - Blood Bowl - Malifaux - Fairy Meat

Saussure

Quote from: Heroka Vendile on March 15, 2010, 12:39:14 AM
How are you planning to have the articles available on the site? A slight restructuring of the Magazine screen?

We'll have to think about that - it will probably need some re-jigging once we increase the number of articles available.

Dave, I'll ask Gav to have a check of our recent traffic.

Herodotus Benedict Saussure
Ordo Hereticus Terran
Forum Moderator

Heroka Vendile

seeing as old DM had a fairly large amount of downloads, surely this would indicate to the mass-appeal of the articles - even to those who don't necessarily play Inquisitor - perhaps passing on the OP statement to say BellOfLostSouls would be an idea? Allowing the spread of knowledge of this change, and to boost DMs profile a bit.
It's all fun and games until someone shoots their own guy with a Graviton gun instead of the MASSIVE SPIDER.
The Order of Krubal
Rewards Of The Enemy