Main Menu

News:

If you are having problems registering, please e-mail theconclaveforum at gmail.com

First Founding: Dark Angels

Started by greenstuff_gav, March 22, 2010, 03:16:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

greenstuff_gav

Copypasta!

so, as i've posted before, i've got a World Eater and an Ultramarine in 54mm already and a Salamander WIP.

Having two more Artemis' to hand, i've decided i'm going to try and get each of the First Founding chapters into Inquisitor with appropriate background and miniatures.
The key "point" of this long term project is to experiment with a variety of sculpting techniques, learn new methods of working and because i think it'd look cool  :D
you never know, i may make molds of the various chapter shoulderpads i sculpt.. just for personal use, of course  ;)

so, this marine was done a long time ago, to match My Relictors Army (look a Rage's Relictors Army articles; the idea being a centre piece for the force; one of its members in 54mm :D

having got it back from Charax, i think it, while crude in places, is a good start for the Dark Angels marine :)

First, those Relictors Icons are coming off and being replaced with Dark Angels symbols.
Adding in a few feathers on the belt should work well :)

the robes will be staying that length (although they will be tidied up); it makes no sense to have the robes dragging on the floor; not only will it get torn as the marine stumbles on it, but it'll end up dirty! :D

Covenants sword is lined up for the existing hand; the hilt converted to be more "Dark Angel-y"
the missing hand will be open, resting on the pistol holster on the belt :)
Not sold on the head; may try a hood, Artemis' head with suitable scars and a long braid. will prolly leave the scowling look he has :)
i make no apologies, i warned you my ability to roll ones was infectious...

Build Your Imagination

Brother_Brimstone

Very nice - i really like the look of the space marine in the robe.

Look forward to seeing this progress.

greenstuff_gav

*blows dust off've topic*

so, it's been a while, but the issues attaching the Salamanders' Shoulder Pad kinda killed all my motivation :(

now, this is where i am with the Dark Angel;

tried a non-traditional Dark Angels Logo. not happy with it, but has given me a couple of ideas :)

so, currently accepting ideas on background; need a solid excuse to play him in Inquisitor, and the "hunting the Fallen" doesn't cut it ;)
plus ideas for weapons; i have a plethora of swords he can hold :)

also, alternate head!

;D

Build Your Imagination

Heroka Vendile

ooo ghosthead then eh? how well'd that come out quaility wise then? kinda hard to tell with a translucent object being photographed  ;)
It's all fun and games until someone shoots their own guy with a Graviton gun instead of the MASSIVE SPIDER.
The Order of Krubal
Rewards Of The Enemy

greenstuff_gav

Quote from: Heroka Vendile on August 25, 2010, 01:05:40 AM
ooo ghosthead then eh? how well'd that come out quaility wise then? kinda hard to tell with a translucent object being photographed  ;)

Can't Comment  ;D
air bubbles aside (that's a Technique Issue - a vibrating plate would help), pretty good  8)
the PlanĀ© is to stop these bidding wars over 'em till GW remould Artemis to include his helmet *hopes*

Build Your Imagination

DapperAnarchist

He could be hunting a very specific Fallen - one who escaped him earlier. But, more interestingly - he could be offering his services as a warrior to the Inquisition, but with the real intent of finding out which Inquisitors might know something about the Fallen, then arranging for their deaths.
Questions are a burden to others, answers a burden to oneself.

The Keltani Subsector  My P&M Thread - Most recent, INQ28!

Shannow

Very cool head, I'd love to have a bash at casting things looking at some of the stuff turned out by you and ynek in particular. Aside from that he looks very cool :), though the legs a little static IMO.

Rob
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tanhauser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain.

Time to die.

Kresten

Nice work! That skull you gs'd on his sash thingy is amazing.

Looking forward to seeing him painted, and id definitely buy a space marine helmet...
"A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords at dawn"

Nevermore2010

I'd just like to say i'd also buy one or two heads lol

That model has potential and i really hope its rekindled your desire to finish not just this but your salamander to! (i'm biased, i collect 40k salamnders lol) I'll be watching with interest, i love watching SM sculpts. And then i love spending all my money trying to do my own ones lol
Wash: "Psychic, though? That sounds like something out of science fiction."

Zoe:  "We live in a space ship, dear."

Dexter

Really awesome model.  A lot of the 54mm Space Marine sculpts I've seen have the legs too skinny and comically out of proportion, but the robe on this guy has gone a long way to ensuring his proportions are what they should be.
Side note, it looks like the links to your Relictors army are down.  Do you have a working link?  I think that the Relictors are probably the coolest chapter when it comes to Inquisitor-related goodness.
Signatures are displayed at the bottom of each post or personal message. BBC code and smileys may be used in your signature.

greenstuff_gav

i'll see if i still have my archive; was a Relictors army using Dark Angels minis; went to a more "we can use deamonweapons as we're pure" look rather'n using chaosy bits :)

the Salamander, as the pointing arm just doesn't work with a shoulderpad, is likely to be stripped down and reposed, it's not as easy as just removing that arm (curse marine shoulderpads! curse them!) :(

so, throwing together some ideas for background;

X was an average Battle Brother in the Dark Angels, fighting for his Chapter for several decades.
As per any son of el Johnson, X went from Battle Brother to Sargeant, upto Veteran and, with being the sole survivor of the Ilandis V Massicare, holding the tattered Imperial Guard regiment firm until reinforcements arrived, promoted into the Deathwing.
It was after the Rites when X learned the Truth of the Fallen; how half the legion were swayed by Luthors' lies and that many of these traitors were still at large. With this knowledge that Xs' Faith was shaken.
Each of those brothers were trained and fought as he had. Each had spilt blood and fought in The Lions' name as he had.

Xs' combat efficiency dropped, the knowledge of the Fallen weighing down apon his mind, preventing him from working as an Battle Brother.
X spent time with the confessors and Chaplains, trying to regain his Faith, taking the sacred acts of flagellation to the point they were damaging, even for his altered physique. He would intone prayer for days on end untill his voice failed and the flagstones cracked under his weight.
Rumour persisted throughout the chapter of this Brother who had lost his faith, many putting it down to Ilandis.
The Dark Council, lead by Grand Master Azael, gave X leave to take the shattered remnants of his former Captains' Relic Blade and travel the Imperium, accompanied by a single serf, tasked with bringing Faith and Imperial Teachings to Mankind; such a humble journey and teaching others to reviere the God-Emperor, often by his very precense, may aid X to refuel his Faith, wherein he would be welcomed back to The Rock and have his Relic Blade reforged, a symbol of what he had regained.

Build Your Imagination

Shannow

I think the story is refrshingly simple yet not dull or lacking in detail, very good for just a barebones rundown! And as corny and cliched as it is, I quite like the idea that he's just refferred to as X now :P

Rob
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tanhauser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain.

Time to die.

Vermis

Quote from: greenstuff_gav on August 25, 2010, 05:58:20 PMteaching others to reviere the God-Emperor, often by his very precense...

I'll say!

"YOU!  PASSING STRANGER!  DO YOU REVERE THE GOD-EMPEROR?"

"Oh yessir I revere the God-Emperor indeedily doodily can I go change my pants now"

Nice work Gav.  :)  The robes and icon look good.
www.minisculpture.co.uk - a place about pushing putty 'til it does what you want it.  Currently recuperating from being hackered and knackered.

Jamas Orian

Very cool!

Quote from: Vermis on August 26, 2010, 02:03:36 AM

"YOU!  PASSING STRANGER!  DO YOU REVERE THE GOD-EMPEROR?"

"Oh yessir I revere the God-Emperor indeedily doodily can I go change my pants now"

xD

greenstuff_gav

so, been pottering around on this one. really not sold on the shoulderpad, so an tempted to recast one from my fallen;

also going with a custom helmet on this one with some DA iconography (DA booster pack mayhaps?)

also throwing about ideas for the other shoulderpad; not sold if i should repeat the Ultramarine with a mini-vignette or if i should go with a standard veteran icon... opinions?

Build Your Imagination