Main Menu

News:

If you are having problems registering, please e-mail theconclaveforum at gmail.com

Commissar Rule

Started by Flinty, March 31, 2010, 09:58:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Flinty

Hi - I am trying to develop a Commissar character, but feel there is something missing which I cant put my finger on - if you can be bothered to wade through the background, great! If not, any comment and criticism of stats, abilities and kit would be very welcome.

Apologies for the wall of text, pics of the WIP figure to follow, and I like low stats.

I'd like to add some sort of rule to replicate a shell shock type episode that either paralyses or sends him into a rage – yes/no, too chessey?
I expect GM discretionary bonus to sg rolls where relevant to his background investigative skills. 
He's only a member on the periphery of an Inquistor's cell, with no direct contact or even knowledge of who that individual is or their underlying motives or philosophy... a tool in other words (ho ho).

Commissar Rule

Ws:52  Bs:63  S:48  T:54  I:61  Wp:64  Sg:58  Nv:67*  Ld:73

* - possibly subject to change when under fire, either up or down

Right handed

Bionic Right Eye incorporating the following:
-   range finder and motion predictor or night vision function, 1 action to switch between modes.
-   voice recorder and pict capture (miu activation)
Bionic right lung (average)
Bionic heart (average)
Voice projector implant - speaking can be understood up to xx yards, shouting at xx yards.

Abilities:
Leader

Weapons:
Las Pistol (military issue, to be derived from Marco's armoury) with 3 reloads
Chain sword

Equipment:
Mesh armour panels (Av 4) chest, abdomen, Flack weave (Av 2) on all other locations except head.
Comm. link
Injector, 3 doses of Detox
Imperial Infantryman's Uplifting Primer –  I think I imagined it, or are there Inq. rules for this?
If I did, possible additional small bonus to Leader ability

Commissar Rule
The son of Imperial administrators on a quiet agri-world, his mother was killed in a harvester unit malfunction and Rule's father petitioned for him to be taken by the Schola Progenium on the neighbouring Hive World; at 13, Rule saw the last of his father. A late arrival, he struggled to develop contacts within the gangs and so became a quiet and withdrawn individual, finding purpose in his studies and solace in the Chapel.

Upon graduation, Rule made up a shortfall in the Schola's Departmento Munitorum draft. In the various aptitude ordeals and selection interrogations his independent outlook and devout nature propelled him into the Commissariat, where he graduated from his basic training in the lower part of his cohort. Rule was assigned to the 2nd Company of the Academy training squad, attached to the 421st Neremov Mechanised Infantry.

The 421st carried out a number of police actions subjugating planetary revolts before taking very heavy casualties in action against an Orkish planetary incursion and was amalgamated with three other Guard remnant regiments. Rule was promoted to Commissar Observer and assigned to Commissar Sub-Intendant  Lhamm of the 85th Kovian Armoured Reconnaissance Regt for further training and evaluation.

Rule served for the duration of a 4 year campaign to counter an uprising instigated by a Traitor Marine squad, at the close of which, Rule was given his commission and gazetteered as Commissar Field Gendarme.

Rule saw a number of long term deployments; first with the 17th Harum Grenadiers and then the 12th Larussian Rifles and 73rd Forasian Infantry, rising to Commissar Deputy Field Inspector before being posted to the newly raised Arusian 5th Infantry.

The Arusian 5th had a brief existence; engaged in a police action as part of its shake down deployment, a sudden localised warp storm heralded the arrival of the cruiser Azuradin's Curse, a remnant of a Traitor Marine fleet. The 5th Arusian managed to hold out for 11 days, until the storm suddenly abated, tearing the Azuradin's Curse back into the abyss. Even though the planetary PDF had been used as a first line of defence, the 5th had suffered massive casualties during what was fully expected to be a last stand. Rule had maintained discipline within the shrinking defensive perimeter throughout the action, despite suffering a serious injury at the start of the engagement, and was the only surviving Commissar outside of the Regimental HQ. Although given a formal commendation for his actions, there was talk that Rule had engaged in ''unorthodox'' actions, and had even developed a bond with the troopers.

In order to control the taint of contact with Chaos, the subsequent investigations resulted in the execution of most of the surviving Hive populations. Due to its spirited defence, the remnants of the Arusian 5th were treated leniently and sent to a Penal Battalion. Rule was spared this fate as a member of the Commissariat and after extensive examination was declared free of infection. Rule petitioned for a new field posting, but was instead given an administrative position investigating the rear echelon and logistical units of the 4th 'Fedelis' and 26th 'Extirpate' IG divisions...and kept under observation. 

Over the years he successfully terminated numerous smuggling rings and profiteering syndicates and was involved in returning (and only the occasional execution) of a large number individuals declared AWOL in the rear areas. It appeared that his last posting had resulted in Rule being classified as unfit for front line duties, and he was permanently assigned to the local Commissariat Office of Investigation under Commissar Director Malfosse.

Rule developed a nose for investigations and first came to the attention of an Inquisitor during an enquiry into a missing IG munitions resupply shipment, which resulted in Rule rashly attempting an arrest of the head of a Noble house. Continued investigations lead to an attempted assassination a year later (after the presentation of some wide ranging evidence involving a planetary Governor) and he only escaped through the intervention of what the records described as a ''Senior Imperial Servant'' and his ''Staff''.

This figure ensured Rule received medical treatment, off-planet, and on Rule's recovery, sent orders detaching Rule from the Commissariat and placing him at the disposal of the Inquisition.

Now in his fifties, Rule continues his investigative work, frequently following leads provided by an Interrogator Horentious, and has since collected a small staff of his own.
Neanderthal and Proud!

Inquisitor Cade

The background seems sound to me. I like the idea of him being more or less out of the know, his faith in the purity of the Inquisition convincing him that his work is holy. I wonder weather it truely is?

I'd be tempted to buff his kit a bit. As a ranking commissar he would be able to gat a power sword, and given his low Ws it wouldn't be a game dominating weapon. As he is an investigative and not a field operative some subtle kit might suit him well. A digi weapon or even a force field for example.

His S/T indicate he isn't as dedicated to phisical fitness as most of his ilk, and his Wp, Nv and Ld I'd expect to be rather more exceptional as he is a commissar. His Sg would likely be higher too if he has a flair at investigation.

Why would Nv change when under fire? Is this linked to the shell shocked thing you were thinking of. I see no reason in the background to support such a rule.
*Insert token witticism*

MarcoSkoll

Quote from: Flinty on March 31, 2010, 09:58:41 AMI'd like to add some sort of rule to replicate a shell shock type episode that either paralyses or sends him into a rage – yes/no, too chessey?
Sounds like an interesting idea. Presumably if he fails a pinning test, he must take another Nv test to avoid going into shock, and then if he fails you have some way of deciding whether he gets stunned or goes into frenzy?

QuoteI expect GM discretionary bonus to sg rolls where relevant to his background investigative skills.
Well, I kinda expect that kind of thing anyway. Normally, I set out a table of particular strengths or weaknesses in the character's experience, which confer either bonuses or penalties when the appropriate subject comes up.

To give examples, Inquisitor Rhodes has a Doctorate of Archaeology, so she gains a bonus as appropriate to that, but she's poor on Military Knowledge - relatively so, at least. On the other hand, Inquisitor Skoll is good with the mechanical principles of firearms, but as he grew up on an agri-world, his knowledge of mainstream Imperial culture and history is best described as "average".

You don't have to do the same, but usually if I'm giving a character an area of particular knowledge, I usually decide on an area where they're not as knowledgeable as something of a counter.

QuoteImperial Infantryman's Uplifting Primer –  I think I imagined it, or are there Inq. rules for this?
Unlikely. Most Imperial Guard recognise that the Uplifting Primer is over-glorified toilet paper, and only keep it around because the penalty for not having it is to be shot.
S.Sgt Silva Birgen: "Good evening, we're here from the Adeptus Defenestratus."
Captain L. Rollin: "Nonsense. Never heard of it."
Birgen: "Pick a window. I'll demonstrate".

GW's =I= articles

Kaled

Quote from: Flinty on March 31, 2010, 09:58:41 AM
Imperial Infantryman's Uplifting Primer –  I think I imagined it, or are there Inq. rules for this?
If I did, possible additional small bonus to Leader ability
If you are going to give him a bonus to Leader due to the Primer, then it probably should only apply to Guardsmen...
I like to remember things my own way... Not necessarily the way they happened.

Inquisitor - Blood Bowl - Malifaux - Fairy Meat

Flinty

Finally managed to upload some photos under the modelling thread

Thanks for the comments -

QuotePresumably if he fails a pinning test, he must take another Nv test to avoid going into shock, and then if he fails you have some way of deciding whether he gets stunned or goes into frenzy?

I was thinking of a Nv test once pinned simply to decide on stunned or frenzied - but I like the idea of the shock roll first. Otherwise I can see him either permenantly behind cover or being shot down within a couple of turns...

QuoteUnlikely. Most Imperial Guard recognise that the Uplifting Primer is over-glorified toilet paper, and only keep it around because the penalty for not having it is to be shot.

I should have explained that Rule has a wierd obsession with it, waving it about in times of trouble - but as Kaled says, it improves the quality of his propoganda only with Guardsmen - 2 of whom conviently form his retinue.

QuoteI'd be tempted to buff his kit a bit. As a ranking commissar he would be able to gat a power sword, and given his low Ws it wouldn't be a game dominating weapon. As he is an investigative and not a field operative some subtle kit might suit him well. A digi weapon or even a force field for example.
Humm...I like the idea of a simple chain weapon - his attempt at showing some connection with the regimental sergeants perhaps. Given his less than stellar fighting skills, maybe a force field would be a useful ace up his sleeve, especially now he's more of a policeman.

Neanderthal and Proud!

Myriad

Chain weapons are pretty cool, and we don't see enough of them in the game.  I'm with Marco, and not wholly convinced the uplifting primer would boost spirits, but it might represent his 'connection' with the rank and file well to give him a boost to leader for guardsmen.

I quite like this guy, he's got plenty of character to both his background and profile.  As far as some kind of rule for shellshock, I'd caution to try to keep it relatively simple, but otherwise it'll add an individual touch to the character.
I had better point out, that some of the clubs I represent are of a military bent.

You know what you are?  A plywood shark!

MarcoSkoll

Quote from: Flinty on March 31, 2010, 06:26:25 PMI was thinking of a Nv test once pinned simply to decide on stunned or frenzied - but I like the idea of the shock roll first. Otherwise I can see him either permenantly behind cover or being shot down within a couple of turns...
Well, I'd randomise which happens (or allow the GM to decide), and I'd have some way of deciding how he might revert to "normal". Does it apply for a randomised number of turns, until he passes some form of test, or something else?

QuoteI should have explained that Rule has a weird obsession with it, waving it about in times of trouble.
Perhaps, but just because he has confidence in it, doesn't mean his troops have.

My personal take is that any superior or officer who uses the Primer in such a manner will be less respected, but more feared - anyone who takes that book seriously is suffering from a deficit of common sense, but probably has some unfavourable tendencies to execute their troops for the slightest indiscretion.

As such, any bonus should probably be matched by a penalty that represents the troop's lack of trust for the officer's decisions.
S.Sgt Silva Birgen: "Good evening, we're here from the Adeptus Defenestratus."
Captain L. Rollin: "Nonsense. Never heard of it."
Birgen: "Pick a window. I'll demonstrate".

GW's =I= articles

Flinty

Ahh - poorly written fluff and lack of thought on my part.

I think Rule's obsession with the Primer probably dates from the events leading up to the decision to remove him from front-line duty. These days, Rule tends to become a little 'touchy' when things get stressful and likes to rant, perhaps rather like a ''You can't handle the truth'' Jack Nicholson (rather than Basil Fawlty). He builds up from a relatively calm beginning whinge or grouse, into to a sudden outburst directed towards or possibly against (its often unclear), his two long suffering assistants. This results in them doing what they are told for 5 minutes, but leaving them in serious doubt about his long-term sanity.

His fascination with the Primer is unclear - does he actually believe in any of it, does he blame it for his own situation, is he accusing others of beleving in it or the Imperium of a crass disregard of human life? (bit of a given, that one...).

End result: Once per game, Rule can add 10% to his Leadership when dealing with Imperial Guardsmen

As for the shell shock/combat stress:

Whenever Rule is subjected to ranged enemy attack, regardless of any pinning tests, he must roll under his Nv.
A failure will reduce his Nv score by D10 (effects are cummulative).
This is repeated at the start of each turn Rule is considered under fire.

Close combat alone does not trigger this effect.

Should his Nv fall below 45, there is a chance Rule will:

01 - 10:
Continue as normal.

11 - 55:
Seek immediate cover and remain there. He may not return fire or expose any part of himself (i.e. make any observation/awareness rolls) and will ignore any friendly character.
If engaged in close combat, he can only perform parry/dodge actions and must attempt to break combat and retreat up to his maximum available movement, until he reaches the board edge or passes a Wp test.

56 - 90:
Return fire and attempt to move into close combat with the nearest enemy character - treat as subject to Frenzy

91 - 100:
Ignore all activity around him and proceed at a walking pace towards his objective where he will perform any required activity before attempting to leave the board.
Ranged damage will break this trance, and after the first blow in close combat, Rule will parry/dodge and attempt to break combat and retreat.

When suffering from these effects, Rule can roll against his Wp, a sucessful roll will revert Rule to a 'normal' state for D3 turns. He must then start to make Nv checks again each turn he is subject to enemy fire.

Neanderthal and Proud!

TheNephew

Might be easier to just GM his shellshock-like reactions - if he's aware of/ close to the enemy shooting, he's more likely to charge in, but if he's coming under heavy weapons fire from someone miles off he'll hit that deck faster than anyone else on the board and stay there for a week.

Flinty

QuoteTopic Summary
Posted on: Today at 12:36:25 AMPosted by: TheNephew 
Insert Quote
Might be easier to just GM his shellshock-like reactions 

Yep - I think your right, far less cumbersome and should maintain an element of uncertainty..
Neanderthal and Proud!

Kaled

If you're playing in a group with a regular GM then that method of working out the effects of shell-shock is fine, but if you plan to use him in pick up games (at something like the Spring Conclave) then you might want a more structured approach as the GM is unlikely to know your character well enough...
I like to remember things my own way... Not necessarily the way they happened.

Inquisitor - Blood Bowl - Malifaux - Fairy Meat