Main Menu

News:

If you are having problems registering, please e-mail theconclaveforum at gmail.com

Lisa Theobald and Auric Morchai

Started by Van Helser, April 03, 2010, 05:02:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Van Helser

I've had a productive Easter weekend so far and feel just about ready to share some pictures of two of my latest models. 

First up is a new version of Inquisitor Tomashek Goddard's Explicator, Elisabel Honesty Theobald, or Lisa to her (rather few) friends.  The previous version was beginning to look very cack-handed (a sign of getting better at this whole modelling malarkey?), and I felt an update was in order.  Plus I'm thinking of advancing her story by giving her some more independence from Goddard.  I fancy having her beliefs start diverging away from Goddard's - she's much more of a Monodominant, and needed tooling up to better her ass-kicking abilities.  The laspistol she carried before has been swapped for a hellpistol, and she's wielding a power hammer now as both a Malleus badge of office and for laying the smackdown.  With a meaty knife and a compact laspistol to back that lot up, she's ready to start taking names.

Joining her quest to send the warpfilth back to whence it came is Auric Morchai, a preacher from a militant, Astartes inspired cult.  Bionically rebuilt more times than anyone wanting to keep hold of their sanity should be, he wields one of the most improbably large eviscerators seen in the Sectors Ocularis.  There weren't enough religious nutters in my collection until now...

Both are still due a wee bit of GS work, and I hope to have them painted for the Spring Conclave.  Watch this space.

Ruaridh

Inquisitor Cade

Nice! The first model is looking good, but the second is amazing. I feel he should be on the frount cover of the rulebook or something, he is just perfect for inquisitor. What is the head?

The Hellpistol looks a bit much like a bolter from the side. I'd cover up/ alter the part right at the back of it.
*Insert token witticism*

Hadriel Caine

lovely stuff Van! I'm cunningly plotting my return to these forums soon...

New model for Lisa is looking much cooler and more unique.

Auric Morchai is ecellent another v original use of classic INQ parts which is always good I think!
The head, If I am not mistaken is from Cherubael with the horns filed down.

lets see some paint!

Adam
The Fall of Astraea
Astrean OOC- feedback thread

\'You have to lie to keep people happy\'

Saussure

Ruaridh, those are both very nice indeed. I love the concept for both of them, and Morchai's pose is nails. Religious nutters are hobby-satisfying - Carter needs more of them around him. From the front, I can't help but shake the feeling that Honesty's torso is a shade too long, but I think it may just be my initial reading of the image that I can't shake, because it looks more reasonable from all the other angles.

Looking forward to seeing both of them painted!

Herodotus Benedict Saussure
Ordo Hereticus Terran
Forum Moderator

Myriad

Looking good - Morchai is a real example of a relatively simple conversion that really works.  Malicant's chainsword actually looks somewhat more believable as a polearm compared to the devotee's near impossible pose, although I'd still bulk out the end of the handle to give a bit of counterweight.

Elisabeth looks good, but gives the impression of being of unusual size for some reason (nothing wrong with that.  Given we're in the 41st millenium the citizens often seem unusually uniform in size).  Do you have a size comparison handy?
I had better point out, that some of the clubs I represent are of a military bent.

You know what you are?  A plywood shark!

Brother_Brimstone

Great stuff - I really like the hellpistol. I'd perhaps mirror the suggestion of a counterweight on the polearm BUT seeing as the 'swinging' hand gripping the polearm has a large gauntlet on it, it's reasonable to say that the gauntlet provides the required weight to swing the polearm, sort of how you swing a katana, when you snap your forward hand downward and your back hand upward (when executing a vertcal swing). I hope that made sense - I know what I mean in my head, but committing it to writing is more difficult...

Alyster Wick

Loving both models.  I'd been contemplating a chain-polearm and the second model has provided some good inspiration to that end.  I also need to pick up some blasted servo-skulls, they just add a little something. 

I'm having trouble discerning where Lisa's head is from. It isn't a retooled sister repentia, is it?

precinctomega

Van Helser

Thanks for the comments all.  Must say that Morchai is one of new favourite models - it's a shame that he's not the main character in the group!  Just got to hope I can do him justice with the paint job...

I've done a bit more work to Lisa, giving her a better haircut and finalising the right sleeve and adding another band around the wires to the hellpistol, and based them both. 

There's a size comparison for you Myriad.  Being based on the Eldar Ranger model, she is a bit lanky, especially in comparison to Morchai, but there's lots of room for height and build discrepancies in the 41st millennium!  I think her microcephaly might be sorted now with that picture - she was leaning back on her base in the last one, giving a very odd perspective.  The Repentia head is a small one, but not markedly so in comparison to the Ranger head that originally sat there.

Morchai's head is indeed Cherubael's with the horns smoothed down.  It's such an expressive face I had to use it!  The gauntlet is going to represent a bionic arm, so I don't think I'll need to add weight to the pommel end of the haft - with that arm I'm sure he could wield it one-handed if he really wanted.  The right hand's only doing some steering!

Now hopefully I'll get started painting tomorrow, but we'll see. 

Ruaridh

Molotov

I love the Morchai model, using Cherubael's head is brilliant (I never saw the potential in it before.)

Looking forward to seeing it completed!
INQ28 Thread | INQ28 Blog
INQ28, done properly, is at least the equal of its big brother - and Mol is one of the expert proponents of "done properly".
- precinctomega

rourke

loving Morchai, brilliant combination of bits,
cant wait to see them painted,

kinda off topic, any chance of some pics of the new models you used in the latest DM battle report?

kierkegaard

Any chance of seeing some pictures of them in their finished states? (I can't get a good enough look at them in the battle report photos.)

Van Helser

Rightio then; I've finally had time to sit down and take some pictures of the finished pair. 

Theobald first:

I must admit I'm not a hundred per cent happy with the paint job.  I think it's too busy.  Robskib suggested I go for a lighter green for the lining of the jacket, and I was thinking a brown might tie it into the red of the robe.  I'm not sure which direction to go in.  Suggestions are welcome!

And now Morchai:

I am pretty thrilled with how Morchai's paint job turned out - this was a massive relief let me tell you!  I was worried that I'd make a mediocre job and ruin what is probably now my favourite model.  Fortunately this simple scheme has worked really well.  I hope you all think so too!

Oh and Rourke - sorry for taking so long to get back to you, but all my models can be found in this Photobucket albumBrett, van der Voohen, Ganz and Goddard can be seen from all angles there.

Ruaridh

kierkegaard

They both look good to me Van.

I can't offer any advice on Theobald's colour scheme (because I'm colour blind, and the pictures are a bit on the dark side) but I do like it as it is. I think that the pentagramic ward looks great.

I really like Morchai's scheme (are the robes based around Dheneb Stone?) but it looks to me is if you got a bit of grit in the paint (there are one or two funny bumps on the front, and six or seven on the back.) Other than that, it looks great (the face in particular.)

Van Helser

Hmmm; on second look the pictures are a bit dark, Theobald especially.  Hopefully the sun will come out later on and I'll try getting another picture taken. 

The pentagrammic wards are meant to be made by Morchai - I though the yellow sashes were a good way to tie the models together, plus entirely in-keeping for a pair of Ordo Malleus fighters.

And Morchai's scheme began as Dheneb Stone.  I find it a very versatile colour - there's lots of off-white in the 41st millennium.  Didn't notice the bumps at all until you pointed them out Nick.  Can't stop looking at them now!  May be getting the Dremel out in the near future and re-painting!  Must buy some new Chaos Black!

Ruaridh