Main Menu

News:

If you are having problems registering, please e-mail theconclaveforum at gmail.com

Otesh'Ra, The Dark Thief

Started by Alyster Wick, April 19, 2010, 05:42:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alyster Wick

Otesh'Ra, The Dark Thief

Loosely have a model planned out, may post the story at the end on the IC section and turn it into something episodic.

Stats first followed by background (VERY BRIEF) and a vignette. Don't worry, he's an NPC.

Stats:
WS  BS  S   T     I   Wp Sg  Nv  Ld    S
98  78  54 48  97  --    91 93   89    6

Ambidextrous
Skills: Blunt, Iron Will, Fearsome (to psykers [but not inquisitors/inquisitorially sanctioned]), Word of the Emperor – Litany of Spite

Weapons: Xenos Monofilament Blade (short sword that does not break against power weapons) w/ Zarshem Toxin*, Needle pistol w/ shot selector (choice of blood fire and Zarshem toxins), two knives (one with choke, one with blood fire), Brathu-ot*

Armour: Naracormer Suit (4 points of armor all locations, full autosenses), Nightcloak forcefield*

Equipment: 2 Otdann Grenades*

Skills (beyond standard Eldar skills): Master of Blades*, Dirge of the Fall*, Delicate Touch*, The Unspoken Rite*

Details of equipment:

Zarshem Toxin: Any damage done by a weapon with the Zarshem Toxin doubles its damage for purposes of system shock.

Brathu-ot: Brathu-ot is an ancient knife so dark it is said to consume the light around it.  The only color detectable from it comes from a deep purple soulstone embedded in its hilt.
Counts as knife, anyone killed with Brathu-ot has their soul ripped from their body and trapped within the knife's blade.  If a strike from Brathu-ot causes a character to be stunned or knocked unconscious then they must pass a WP test or have their soul ripped out (only one soul can be stored in Brathu-ot at a time)

Nightcloak forcefield: Counts as a d6 forcefield against shooting attacks, all tests to see Otesh are at -25% (this is increased to -50% if he is in the dark).  Furthermore, all shooting attacks directed at Otesh are at -15% to his (increased to -40% if he is in the dark).

Otdann Grenades: Otdann grenades create a pocket of darkness so deep that it swallows all light around it.  Once deployed they are active until deactivated or removed (GM discretion).  They are used as normal grenades but open up a void of darkness d6 inches in diameter.  Count this area as pitch black under any circumstances (ie. There is no amount of light that will illuminate it).  Nightvision may be used to counter its effects but while the user may see into the void of darkness they will be unable to see beyond its borders.

Master of Blades: Otesh uses his WS in place of his S to calculate his damage bonus in close combat

Dirge of the Fall: Otesh has been known sings odes to the destruction of the Eldar.  Beyond mere words, he speaks rites that may draw the eyes of the Dark Prince upon those around him.  Any Eldar who hears him sing takes a N test as though they have been shot at (clutching their ears instead of diving for cover).  They must take a WP test or suffer as though they have suffered a psychic overload. 

Delicate Touch: Otesh is a skilled torturer with his chosen weapons.  He can cause infinite pain with the slightest pin prick and takes pleasure in taking his opponents apart at his leisure.  Otesh may opt to use delicate touch in close combat.  When he does he inflicts a maximum of 1 injury level with that attack though damage taken remains the same.

The Unspoken Rite: Eldar treat Otesh as if he were a Pariah.  All other characters treat him as normal, though no psychic powers may be used against him which involve Otesh taking a WP test.

Background:

It is said that only the oldest of the Eldar race know of Otesh-Ra's true origins.  Some say he was born before the fall, others that he was conceived in the pits of the Dark City.  Whispers have even been heard that he is a fallen Farseer who lead his craftworld to destruction.
   What little is known points to a ritual that Otesh-Ra performed on himself so terrible that the Eldar have no word for it.  While there are no words to accurately describe it in the human language the two closest translations of this ritual have been "to rend one's own soul" and "to allow the void entry to your heart."
   Performing this ritual made Otesh-Ra a complete outcast from all form of Eldar society.  However it is also said to have granted him knowledge undreamt of concerning the nature of the warp, specifically how it interacts with the physical world.  For this reason he is still sometimes sought out by members of his race, but only in the times of greatest need and almost never directly.
   Though few know of the true nature of his transformation it is clear that Otesh-Ra retains some semblance of "humanity". His agenda (if he has any) is unknown, though he seems to take pleasure in death and often works as an assassin or mercenary.  He has no qualms working with other species though has a penchant for lauding his superiority over all others (especially his own species).
   Over the centuries many attempts on his life have been made by various Eldar sects, Slanneshi cults and factions within the Imperium.  All have failed. There have been reports that some species (including humans) have at times worshiped him as a deity, though these are uncorroborated.

Vignette:
   "Do I make you uneasy Mon-Keigh?"
   Beneath his thick red robes the human shifted.
   "I am here for business xenos, not idle chatter."
   Otesh smiled, but the human wouldn't be able to tell.  All his features were hidden behind smooth black faceplate.  It protected him from more than just prying eyes...
   "Perhaps you would sit better if you would stop trying to pry into my head? I would have thought the message were clear after your first try meat puppet."
   The man sat up sharply.
   "I am an agent of the Emperor's Inquisition scum, do not think you are above me!"
   Otesh sighed and drummed his fingers on the cracked wooden table between them and sighed.  There were so few civilized places in this sector that would allow Imperials in.  Little secret why.
   "Isn't that how your kind communicates anyway?"
   Otesh laughed again.
   "Indeed, Inquisitor, I quite like you.  A Mon-Keigh attempting psychic communication, how novel.  It is not often I'm so entertained at a business gathering."
   "I warn you scum, one more joke..."
   The Inquisitor's seal jumped on the table as he slammed his fists down.
   "Fine then, calm yourself.  You're here for business, we'll do business.  The council of the Novi-Naran sent you, yes?"
   "How did you..."
   "There aren't many who know how to find me, especially not of your race.  I'm aware that there's something they need done and it was just a matter of time before the messenger found me.  And that feeling that you've get when you try to read me?"
   Otesh pointed to the Inquisitor's head.
   "I'm afraid it's far, far worse for our race."
   "You know, I was curious about that.  When they spoke your name, there was nothing to go along, with it." 
   The blank helmet turned to face the Inquisitor fully for the first time.  He smiled.
   "The conversation seemed so empty, you know?  There were words, but it felt like silence. Is that why they refered to you as Dris Eadara?"
   Before he could utter the last syllable, the human felt the faint tickle of a monofilament blade against his throat.
   "If I want this to hurt Mon-Keigh, it will hurt.  This is your only warning, and know that the fate I promise you is far worse than death."
   The Inquisitor swallowed. As quickly as the blade came out, it disappeared.
   "Yes, well, to the business then."
   "Who is it you want?"
   "There is an Inquisitor..."
   Otesh laughed again.
   "You humans, always at each other's throats."
   The Inquisitor ignored the comment and pressed on.
   "He has many names.  Most recently it was Ghent and there are records of an Imperial Lord name Brenner that also fit his description.  I have files on his most recent known activities, as well as a former operative of his named Cill, he may be able to give you more information."
   "So what are the details then?"
   "He is a vile heretic and blasphemer.  However, there are aspects of his work that may be valuable to me.  I need his current where abouts but I also need his body."
   Otesh sneered.
   "So the deal is that you get the body..."
   "...And the council gets the soul."
   Otesh leaned back in his chair.
   "And the payment for this?"
   "I've been told of your currency, here are the coordinates of a prison transport along with the correct hailing frequencies and deactivation rites." 
   The Inquisitor placed a data slate on the table. Otesh picked it up and turned the thing over, examining it.
   "Mon-Keigh technology..."
   He ignored the comment.
   "Ghent is said to be ancient, even old by the standards of your race. He carries a toothed daemon-weapon that is said to guide him.  The hosts in his entourage are like none on Imperial record, even in the writings of heretics.  And be wary of his Pariah."
   "You do not know the meaning of the word ancient Mon-Keigh.  I will get you your body and the council its soul."
   Otesh'Ra got up to leave.
   "I do not say these things out of concern scum.  His Pariah, the thing is unnatural, even by their standards."
   The Eldar turned back.
   "Did they not tell you human? I am the dark thief, the eater of souls. An entire race quakes at the thought of my name."
   Otesh'Ra left the Inquisitor, disappearing into the darkness as though he carried it with him.

Brother_Brimstone

Great character; i especially loved the little story - it said a lot abot the character without saying much (if you know what i mean).

My only comment would be that you would have to be really careful with the 'soul catching' rule. I could imagine players not being too happy that thier beloved charcter is gone beyond hope. Still; nothing that can't be controlled with a bit of careful RPing. I get the sense that he would probably only try to steal the soul of his primary target and if the players are using characters you designed then that problem won't occur.

Anyway, good stuff, look forward to seeing the model, and i'd definitely be interested in reading the fluff about it if you do decide to post more.

Inquisitor Cade

I'm glad he's an NPC, as he's scary. What is his role?

Quoteoften works as an assassin or mercenary.

Being a gun for hire seems a bit thugish for such an ancient and elite character.
*Insert token witticism*

Swarbie

Wow is this guy nasty. :o

However, as he's an NPC who, I assume, will only appear relatively rarely, I guess that's not too bad. 

I love the little vignette.
And I saw her body burning,
With it, my world
To dust returning

TheNephew

QuoteBeing a gun for hire seems a bit thugish for such an ancient and elite character.

I'd assume he does it for fun, if he's in the area or heading that way anyway.
Or if the payment is suitable, which it may well be - having an Inquisitor's resources, I'd imagine there're one or two things that might interest even an ancient Eldar psyker, even if it doesn't seem that big a deal.
Having something to do may well be a big motivator, if he's into his more base desires like killing things for the fun of it.

DapperAnarchist

I find it interesting that his name is more reminiscent of Necrontyr than Eldar... Could provide some interesting twists.
Questions are a burden to others, answers a burden to oneself.

The Keltani Subsector  My P&M Thread - Most recent, INQ28!

Alyster Wick

QuoteI could imagine players not being too happy that thier beloved charcter is gone beyond hope.

His soul-stealing knife is more of a character thing/plot device.  Don't worry, he isn't wantonly stealing souls (also why he can only contain one soul in the blade at a time).  I should add that if there's a soul trapped in it then the blade acts as a normal knife (it doesn't continue stealing souls just to discard the previous tenants). Also, if someone has their soul stolen while remaining physically alive that doesn't necessarily mean that they're dead...MUAHAHA

QuoteHowever, as he's an NPC who, I assume, will only appear relatively rarely, I guess that's not too bad. 

He's definitely a plot device primarily.  His views of life and death struggles as novel combined with his "delicate touch" ability is meant to ensure that he isn't going around slaughtering everyone at the drop of the hat. 

QuoteBeing a gun for hire seems a bit thugish for such an ancient and elite character.

I'll defer to TheNephew's answer but expand slightly to say that you are quite right that he is ancient and elite (in certain ways).  He's also the member of perhaps the more arrogant species in the galaxy (in terms of their confidence in their superiority and/or wisdom) and is shunned as an abomination by most of them while believing himself to have transcended them.  More of something for consideration, I don't want to go into too much detail in case I do end up writing/posting what I have mapped out.

QuoteI find it interesting that his name is more reminiscent of Necrontyr than Eldar... Could provide some interesting twists.

I hadn't realized that but you're right, it does look rather Necrontyr.  In a rare bought of studiousness I actually researched and compiled a modest but sizeable Eldar Dictionary so everything in the story actually does mean something based on some kind of canonical evidence (although I may be putting too much faith in my sources).