Main Menu

News:

If you are having problems registering, please e-mail theconclaveforum at gmail.com

Nade Skanek

Started by Dust King, August 09, 2009, 11:59:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Adlan

Marco, I'm well aware that eye sight is important for accuracy (my appalling vision hasn't prevented me being recommended for my units combat shooting team though), still, He used to be a Vindicare. Vindicare's are phenomenal, almost beyond human.

Even an Old one eyed one should remember some of the skills.

MarcoSkoll

Quote from: Adlan on August 11, 2009, 03:30:29 PMVindicare's are phenomenal, almost beyond human.
They are.

While a giving him skill like Deadeye Shot is acceptable, I'd leave his BS where it is, because 83 is still very very respectable. Given that the rulebook and Derek's article both put an in-practice and physically fit Vindicare at low to mid nineties, I'd say that low eighties was about as much as I could possibly justify for someone who's biologically a septuagenarian, even if he was a Vindicare.
S.Sgt Silva Birgen: "Good evening, we're here from the Adeptus Defenestratus."
Captain L. Rollin: "Nonsense. Never heard of it."
Birgen: "Pick a window. I'll demonstrate".

GW's =I= articles

Dust King

Quote from: Inquisitor Cade on August 11, 2009, 12:28:30 PM
(I sense MSG 3 inspiration)

A cookie for you :D, he was inspired by several characters from the series.

Skill wise I'm trying to stop him from being game dominating, I'll give him a bit of playtesting before I add any skills.

Also I put quite a bit of thought into his BS, as marco said a vindicare is low 90's and a Imperial guard stormtrooper is 70, I saw low-mid 80's as a realistic level for his character.

As for the aiming I tend to shut one eye when looking down the sights, however I'm very casual and I wouldn't be surprised it this was completely wrong.

Adlan

I agree, the BS is about right for an aging marksman, all I said was that being as he's a former vindicare, he should have more skills. I don't think they'd break the character.

On the Other hand, if there's intended to be some ambiguity about whether or not the character is telling the truth, then his lack of skills is a good thing.

But you know the power level of your group best. Playtesting is never a bad idea.

Aidan

Quote from: Dust King on August 09, 2009, 11:59:05 PM
Cough: smoking iho sticks has lead to a bad cough, sneaking is a risky action if it's failed that turns movement counts as jogging (heard 10 yards away) for awareness tests

Whoop, can't believe I missed this first time. No, nothing with the rule. But 'lho sticks' are the light drugs of choice  in certain parts of the Segmentum Obscurus and Pacificus, nobody in or near Phycon sector - which is the better part of a Galaxy away - has ever heard of them. Here, we just smoke cigarettes and cigars, thank you very much - people thins end of the galaxy don't feel the need to come up with alternative nomenclature for 3rd millennium items.

(in short, it's an Abnettism; I am a fan his books but eternally bothered by the widespread use of his inventions.

-Aidan.

Dust King

From memory it was in the last edition guard codex as well, but lets just say he'll smoke whatever he can get his hands on for simplicity's sake  :)

Aidan

Quote from: Dust King on August 12, 2009, 06:44:05 AM
From memory it was in the last edition guard codex as well, but lets just say he'll smoke whatever he can get his hands on for simplicity's sake  :)

Aye, and so were the Tanith! The fact is that regiment has, realistically, only an extremely specific region  in which it could theoretically fight. Abnett at least, from what I've read of his books, acknowledges the fact that the imperium is a big place, and travel is limited, and nobody knows all that much about what is happening elsewhere in it - let alone trading blimmin' narcotics (or the local dialect name for them) across it! (Better than is some other fiction, where characters seem to be aware in minute detail of everything that's happened in the galaxy!)

So no hard feelings, but the codex is just a loose guide. We can give it a miss here, 'course, but if he's ever smoke a lho stick in his life, it won't have been near phycon sector!