Main Menu

News:

If you are having problems registering, please e-mail theconclaveforum at gmail.com

Dark Heresy VOIP Campaign

Started by precinctomega, April 26, 2010, 10:17:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

precinctomega

(Edited by Marco Skoll)

This is the thread for the forum's semi-official Dark Heresy group, run via VoIP. Should you be interested in joining us, drop us a line - we've had people from all over the world join us.

Original post follows (originally, the group was intended to be a one-off meet, so the first few pages are now redundant and most of what follows after probably won't make sense out of context. If you want to join us, feel free to ignore it all and jump to the end):

~~~~~

EDIT - See Page 2 for further details.

At the Spring Conclave I briefly mentioned the idea of having a Dark Heresy campaign day in Bugman's at some point later this year.  The idea would be to run from 10am to 6.30pm through one or more DH campaigns, trying to fit in as much excitement as possible in 8 and a half hours.

Please post here if you're interested in principle.  I'll then work out a suitable date and interested parties can then decide if they can make it.  We might run it near Christmas in the slot usually occupied by the GT, or in the Oct/Nov area, although Ruaridh "Van Helser" Dall is going to run an Autumn Conclave at about that time and I don't want to detract from participants in that event.

Generally speaking, I'd GM a group of up to four.  If we get more than that, we might split off into two groups with two GMs.

R.

Van Helser

As I said on Saturday, I would be very tempted to come down for this.

The dates for the Autumn/Winter Conclave are a bit up in the air. When I spoke to the Warhammer World staff they said they weren't booking into September/October until nearer the time. Thought it a bid odd as I thought we couldn't run the IGT in December due to them being booked up... May have to wait until the summer before I can get a confirmed date.

Ruaridh

Kaled

I made the booking for the IGT (and Spring Conclave) through the events team rather than through the WHW staff. The impression I got is that some weekends are designated 'free play' and can't be booked in advance until close to the time (and the WHW staff deal with these). Other weekends can be booked a long time in advance (by going through the events team), but these are mostly taken up with corporate events and tournaments - hence the very limited options I had for the IGT.

I'm a 'maybe' for DH - in the past I was never a big fan of RPGs, but I wouldn't mind giving DH a go seeing as I've bought all the books!
I like to remember things my own way... Not necessarily the way they happened.

Inquisitor - Blood Bowl - Malifaux - Fairy Meat

Brother_Brimstone

I'd love to play but there are two caveats:

1) I've only played DH once before and don't own the book. However, i should be able to buy it, and i have played a lot of DND as well as a bit of world of darkness and call of the cthulhu.

2) I'll be at uni by then, and if i get into my first choice, there are rather strict restrictions on leaving the city. However, lecture/tutorial schedule permitting, if it's on a weekend I should be able to make a day trip.

So yeah, i'd like to go. It's just an issue of being able...

Heroka Vendile

I'd be interested, but my problem is the fact that I am reaching the end of uni now and am about to go out into the big bad world of employment (hopefully), so I've no idea where I'll be or my availability.
It's all fun and games until someone shoots their own guy with a Graviton gun instead of the MASSIVE SPIDER.
The Order of Krubal
Rewards Of The Enemy

precinctomega

Quoteif i get into my first choice, there are rather strict restrictions on leaving the city.

Sorry?  So you pay them to educate you and they tell you where you are and are not allowed to travel?  Hm... That would be an interesting tribunal.

R.

Brother_Brimstone

Quote from: precinctomega on May 05, 2010, 10:00:38 AM
Sorry?  So you pay them to educate you and they tell you where you are and are not allowed to travel?  Hm... That would be an interesting tribunal.

I dont't think it's as bad as all that, but i have heard, for example, that technically you're only allowed to go home for one weekend per term (IIRC). Having said that, they will be notably short terms (just very busy ones...).

Also, as an update, I ordered the DH core rulebook off amazon, so amazon's delivery schedule permitting i shall soon have the book and be able to read up on the system.

precinctomega

I have to admit that it would make a pleasant change to have a group of players who actually know the rules.

R.

N01H3r3

Quote from: precinctomega on May 07, 2010, 02:43:46 PM
I have to admit that it would make a pleasant change to have a group of players who actually know the rules.

R.
Depending on the date, and any deadlines I'm dealing with at the time, I might be convinced to attend. I think it's safe to assume that I'm familiar with Dark Heresy and its sister games :)
Contributing Writer for many Warhammer 40,000 Roleplay books, including Black Crusade

Professional Games Designer.

precinctomega

Not sure I want to GM a game with you in it, Nathan!  ;)  You'd be pointing out all my mistakes.

R.

Kaled

That's how I feel when GMing a game of Inquisitor that you're playing in! ;)

You'd have thought I'd have learned the rules by now... :-[

precinctomega

You can always distract me with new minis, Dave.  I don't have that protection in Dark Heresy!*

*That said, here's a secondary question: for people who are thinking of attending this, whenever I get around to organizing it, would you prefer a miniature-based campaign with maps and battle boards, or a purely P&P campaign?

The plan is to run through a series of short-ish adventures and see how far we can get in a single day.

I would start with a campaign of my own devising that basically tells the story of how the Acolytes some to the attention of the Inquisition.  This would then be followed by a number of published campaigns, including Illumination, Maggots in the Meat and Purge the Unclean**, but with significant plot-changes to ensure that those who've played those games before find them as unpredictable as possible.

There would, of course, be no charge to participate, but I would expect players to take turns in providing me with fresh cups of tea in order to keep my larynx in working order.

**SWMBO, little attention as she pays to the games I play, pointed out that this would make a brilliant name for a character: "Purge, the Unclean".

R.

Kaled

Well, chances are that if I'm coming I'll build a (28mm) model even if he's not used - I find that the process of making a model is a good way for me to develop a character.

That, and I have an enginseer model who I bought for parts for a 54mm model, but who I like and was planning to convert and paint and he'd make a good DH character...

N01H3r3

Quote from: precinctomega on May 08, 2010, 08:38:16 AM
Not sure I want to GM a game with you in it, Nathan!  ;)  You'd be pointing out all my mistakes.
I'm more tactful than that; I've played in a few games where I knew the system better than the GM; I provide advice where necessary (to keep the game moving; nothing slows down the game like the GM having to look up a rule), but otherwise have the good sense to keep my mouth shut. In most cases, rules details are less important than the events they're depicting. I play RPGs frequently enough to know that all the knowledge behind my face isn't strictly necessary to enjoying a game.

I use my powers for good. Well, unless I'm GMing, in which case, "you b******" is taken as the highest of compliments.

Quote from: precinctomega on May 08, 2010, 09:08:18 AM*That said, here's a secondary question: for people who are thinking of attending this, whenever I get around to organizing it, would you prefer a miniature-based campaign with maps and battle boards, or a purely P&P campaign?
I personally haven't used miniatures in an RPG for years, and while I will use sketch maps, I don't tend to use boards and models and the like in my games unless I'm running or playing D&D 4th edition (where they're pretty much essential). Doesn't mean I won't try if bringing miniatures is the common consensus, though.

QuoteI would start with a campaign of my own devising that basically tells the story of how the Acolytes some to the attention of the Inquisition.  This would then be followed by a number of published campaigns, including Illumination, Maggots in the Meat and Purge the Unclean**, but with significant plot-changes to ensure that those who've played those games before find them as unpredictable as possible.
That's a good thing; I've run all those adventures. I'd be wary oif Maggots in the Meat, as it's not an easy adventure to get right when running it, as the tone varies quite considerably based on what you're aiming for as a GM. If you PM me with any questions you have about the adventures (to avoid spoiling those who've not played them), I can provide advice in this regard.
Contributing Writer for many Warhammer 40,000 Roleplay books, including Black Crusade

Professional Games Designer.

Brother_Brimstone

In about 4 years of roleplaying, i've only ever played one campaign where we used real maps and minis, and we gave up on that half way through because it was slowing us down a bit.

Having said that, I can definitely see the merits of using maps and minis, in that it gives a better idea of sclae and distance.

Essentially, in a long winded way i'm saying that I'm happy either way, but if we do use minis, I'd definitely prefer it at 28mm scale, seeing as I have so few 54mm models and they're rather more expensive. Apparently Amazon actually dispatched my DH core rulebook last night, so i can expect it at some point during this coming week.