Main Menu

News:

If you are having problems registering, please e-mail theconclaveforum at gmail.com

Dark Heresy VOIP Campaign

Started by precinctomega, April 26, 2010, 10:17:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Koval

I was simply making the observation that if there's a strong leading lady in a given RP around these parts, it's likely that you are responsible. I wasn't trying to suggest that there's anything bad about it.

In fairness, we have seen the likes of Silva*, Frost, Lyra and (most recently) Riley performing very strongly in recent years...

*Yes, I'm aware Silva wasn't exactly the leading lady when I last encountered her, but that was primarily because of Alice. If Alice had instead been an Alistair, Silva would have fitted the "female lead" position very nicely.

MarcoSkoll

No, I think I probably do "have a problem", given that I write about twice as many female characters as male ones. Not sure what said "problem" might be, but I'm sure armchair psychologists could make up all kinds of excuses to use the word "Freudian".

Mind you, I can at least be fairly confident I'm not misogynistic. Unless I'm in really deep denial.
S.Sgt Silva Birgen: "Good evening, we're here from the Adeptus Defenestratus."
Captain L. Rollin: "Nonsense. Never heard of it."
Birgen: "Pick a window. I'll demonstrate".

GW's =I= articles

Koval

Quote from: MarcoSkoll on May 25, 2012, 10:07:03 PM
No, I think I probably do "have a problem", given that I write about twice as many female characters as male ones. Not sure what said "problem" might be, but I'm sure armchair psychologists could make up all kinds of excuses to use the word "Freudian".

Mind you, I can at least be fairly confident I'm not misogynistic. Unless I'm in really deep denial.
Hmm. To date, I can't think of many female characters I've written at all. Over the period of time I'm actually willing to count (as my writing before that was just bad), I think I've used:
-one female lead (Alice, who's going to be split up into two different characters, for the simple reason that I want to preserve her as a character while separating her from the idea necessitating her creation)
-maybe four female supports (Rosheine who barely counts, Rowena who managed to straddle that transition gap between bad writing and okay writing, Michiru Amamiya who I used and killed off over on 40KO, and possibly Tyra in the near future depending on whether she survives Defiant Echoes)
-one female antagonist (an Eldar Farseer, also over on 40KO, though in this one's case she ended up defaulting to Heroic Neutral once the Bigger Bad showed up)

By way of comparison, in Defiant Echoes alone, I've used:
-one male lead (Andreas, oddly enough)
-at least one male support (Haines, probably Barkley/Ravion/Holst as well if Herald, Necris and Octavian don't return to reclaim their characters)
-several male antagonists (Zagan, Goruvich, the Ancient)
-one antagonist that prefers to identify as male but ultimately isn't bothered or constrained by such things as gender-identity (Agares)

If anything, I need to balance it out more...

I've used female characters in RPs before, but they've been neither player-characters nor GM-characters. That said, there would arguably be no plot to one particular RP were it an all-male cast...

Stormgrad

On a side note at least David does not go to the lengths of using a voice changer and if we did run deathwatch at any point I would pretty much make it mandatory that you rolled a sister using the rules from blood of martyrs

MarcoSkoll

Oh dear. That's even worse than what I imagined. Probably hilarious though.

GW's =I= articles

Koval

Quote from: Stormgrad on May 28, 2012, 04:09:49 PM
On a side note at least David does not go to the lengths of using a voice changer
If you're referring to that bit last week where I gave a crappy impersonation of the Ancient (who really is just a Khornate Dalek stuffed into a Dreadnought chassis), that was done using my own vocal chords. I wish I had a voice ring modulator, or any skill with Audacity, as that way I could A) sound convincing B) let Dave in on it too :P

Heroka Vendile

nah, Lampitt used one a couple times early on in DH - worked pretty well, but sounded a touch metallic
It's all fun and games until someone shoots their own guy with a Graviton gun instead of the MASSIVE SPIDER.
The Order of Krubal
Rewards Of The Enemy

MarcoSkoll

Of course, the reason the others stopped me trying to do the voice for my girl characters "in character" was that was entirely my own vocal chords as well and I kept losing track of my pitch because I couldn't hear myself with the headphones on. Maybe I'll subject you all to it again sometime.

Anyway, now to disappear before anyone asks me why I know transexual voice techniques.

GW's =I= articles

MarcoSkoll

I have to nominate that last session as one of our very best since we started. Plenty of good roleplaying (even if my IC suddenly went totally OOC at the point my brain finally managed to put the pieces together - thank the Emperor for my note taking), my dice rolls were completely on form and Gregor's housebreaking was hilarious!

EDIT: Not to understate the amusement of Mrs. Stanleck finally getting to have her way with Novus.

GW's =I= articles

Van Helser

Gregor was definitely no cat burglar!

I think we're all getting to know our characters better and getting properly into character with them now.  Makes for a good GMing experience I must say!

Ruaridh

Koval

Quote from: Van Helser on June 01, 2012, 11:22:36 AM
I think we're all getting to know our characters better and getting properly into character with them now.
It'll probably take me a fair while yet, with DH anyway, although I've got a fair understanding of Novus already (better than I do of Stirling, which embarrasses me somewhat) and am well on the way to understanding what makes Alyx tick.

Rogue Trader... not so much, as I've had one session to go by :P

MarcoSkoll

I don't think anyone has yet worked out what makes Alyx tick.

You obviously weren't there for most of this, but I've been making cryptic hints that she's not who she seems pretty much since the start. I could list them all, but I think that might make it a bit too easy.

GW's =I= articles

Koval

In that case I guess I'm on the way to understanding what Alyx wants us to think makes her tick... right? :P

MarcoSkoll

I'd say you're hearing the ticking, but are yet to work out the why.

EDIT: I just realised we missed out on a chance for an "Ernst didn't know he could break his face" line. (In-jokes that Koval won't get.)

GW's =I= articles

Heroka Vendile

Best session yet eh? Must've been cause I was out getting drunk on Thursday night  :P

I'm sure the retelling of events in my absence will be interesting.
It's all fun and games until someone shoots their own guy with a Graviton gun instead of the MASSIVE SPIDER.
The Order of Krubal
Rewards Of The Enemy