Main Menu

News:

If you are having problems registering, please e-mail theconclaveforum at gmail.com

Dark Heresy VOIP Campaign

Started by precinctomega, April 26, 2010, 10:17:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MarcoSkoll

Well, I know Alyx would think the Governor is the more interesting matter. She knows Orks are belligerent and doesn't quite see how the...

...Alex, Alyx, Ernst, Guilliman, Horatio, Novus, Ragnan, Ser William...

... eight of us would contribute notably to a large scale war. Our skills in a fight will be a bit "drop in the ocean", and our leadership abilities will be a bit hampered by most of us not actually speaking the local dialect.
(Mind you, Euan had an interesting call last week. If there is loads of materiel that can be recovered from the crashed ship, then that could change the odds if we can pull off teaching the "how to use a lasgun" crash course.)

But the war is the one we have an invite for - or at least Guilliman does.

Mind you, as has been revealed, we do have nobility on hand - bluffing ourselves an invite to talk with the governor isn't impossible.
S.Sgt Silva Birgen: "Good evening, we're here from the Adeptus Defenestratus."
Captain L. Rollin: "Nonsense. Never heard of it."
Birgen: "Pick a window. I'll demonstrate".

GW's =I= articles

Koval

Well, you already know that the planet has guns -- Sir William has his shotgun, after all -- though judging by what Kay's been keeping in his stock room, which let's be honest is a hell of a lot smaller than a voidship's armoury, the main concern with finding materiel isn't going to be finding it so much as transporting it.

It does however depend on what happens with Kay and what sorts of dreams you have in the meantime -- I've still got a good one lined up.

MarcoSkoll

Quote from: Koval on January 21, 2013, 03:15:44 PMWell, you already know that the planet has guns
Well, yes. We haven't been deified (or lynched) for our magic death sticks. (Even if ours are a bit more advanced.)

But as I'm assuming the army is packing no more than bolt action rifles (seeing as the planet has been described as Victorian era tech-wise), lasguns would be a huge boost to their firepower.

Quotethe main concern with finding materiel isn't going to be finding it so much as transporting it.
I'd suggest Ernst took a strength test, but who knows what will happen now!

Alyx's best suggestion: Hope some form of lighter survived the crash as well as the lasguns.

GW's =I= articles

Koval

See, now that you've said that, I'm going to immediately say "no", just to get you to think about it some more -- if it had actually come up in-game, I might not have had time to think about it properly, and would've had to make a snap decision that might not have made sense. This way, we don't end up potentially spoiling the surprise and solving a problem before we arrive at it :P

MarcoSkoll

Fortunately, she has a second best suggestion. But she says not to tell you this time.

GW's =I= articles

Koval

Okay, I'll admit the combat dragged on a bit, but that's partly because I didn't suddenly want to kill the entire party so I had to tone the Daemon down a tad mid-session. 20 damage to Ernst's leg is still fairly powerful (even though I gave him faith-armour) but five Overbleeds of Force Bolt with the extra knockdown effect is arguably much better than five Overbleeds of what would've been Fire Bolt. Rest assured that we shouldn't have too many more huge fights.

And you blew up another building! We're turning into a right little demolition crew.

MarcoSkoll

QuoteOkay, I'll admit the combat dragged on a bit, but that's partly because...
The major issue is that Games Workshop never really figured a way to do this kind of combat mechanics fluidly, as is evidenced by the RPs and Inquisitor getting clunky at times.
Running through a fight in either system at any real pace takes everyone being on the ball and some serious organisation.

But I will concede that it's not an easy feat of rules writing, either way. Detailed results takes detailed rules. (Hmm. I need to kick off a discussion about Inquisitor 2 at some point. I've got ideas that need discussing.)

~~~~~

On another note, Alyx doesn't have the slightest idea what the many great and terrible things (or words of that approximate order) the daemon was accusing her of are supposed to be.

There's some petty theft, property damage and a lot of killing in self-defence - but for an assassin, she's rubbish at actually committing to anything that could be called "murder". Her sins are all pretty tame by the 41st millennium's standards.

Clepsydra would be a different matter... after all, where Alyx is getting paid back for doing the right thing, 'Sydra is trying to make up for having done the wrong things.

GW's =I= articles

Koval

Nobody ever said the Daemon was necessarily sane. Or getting its tenses right. It's a giant eye that's basically its own crystal ball, so it could've seen things that Alyx hasn't even done yet. It could also be trying to screw with you.

As for the combat mechanics, that's probably more FFG's fault than GW's.

MarcoSkoll

Quote from: Koval on January 26, 2013, 06:43:22 AMAs for the combat mechanics, that's probably more FFG's fault than GW's.
Given that Dark Heresy was written by Black Industries, the Black Library RPG arm, before it was licensed to FFG, and has had to retain those same basics in FFG's reprints, I don't think FFG are really culpable in that respect.

GW's =I= articles

Koval

Fair enough, but Black Industries wasn't exactly a high-profile subdivision of GW so it's not strictly GW as a whole that's at fault either, more like just the people at Black Industries.

It may, however, be best to leave this one at the door.

Koval

Crazy trippy dreams everywhere! Alyx probably suspects a lot of things now about Dessel and the Daemon.

For those of us that weren't here: post waking up, Alyx found a (slightly charred) page of one of those books we destroyed last time. One side of the page was a perfect mirror, but the other side turned out to be quite disturbing -- instead of a flat sheet of inky blackness, Alyx saw what can best be described as a charcoal drawing of three people: a man, a woman, and a small child.

The small child happened to be the small child that's been popping up at various points -- Gulliman would recognise her.
The man was Master Kay.
The woman was none other than Alyx herself.

Cue speculation as regards the Daemon's interest in Alyx. The safest option, of course, is that it really enjoys screwing with her head. And just about everyone else's.

MarcoSkoll

I think Alyx is more concerned about what the others think of the daemon's fascination with her than the fact she has a daemon fascinated with her.
That's probably because she's rather ignorant about Chaos, beyond the principle it should a) be destroyed and b) not be trusted.

Quote from: Koval on February 02, 2013, 06:51:32 AMOne side of the page was a perfect mirror
Was that actually in the plan when I made that guess, or was it thrown in as a "Why not"?

GW's =I= articles

Koval

It was actually a "Why not?", as the notes I'd drawn up dealt only with the one side of that page. Sir William didn't initially have a harem, either.

I'm generally free and easy with truly harmless gap-fillers. :P

MarcoSkoll

Yes - I've noticed how many of my stupid suggestions you've incorporated. Who can forget the infamous space cake?

GW's =I= articles

Koval

It made perfect sense at the time and, as you've discovered on multiple occasions, the setting itself is actively taking the mick.