Main Menu

News:

If you are having problems registering, please e-mail theconclaveforum at gmail.com

Dark Heresy VOIP Campaign

Started by precinctomega, April 26, 2010, 10:17:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Koval

Really? I don't think Frost looks like she's wearing Eldar armour at all...

MarcoSkoll

Yeah, although I forget where it was said - this was a point at which I posted my art on several different forums.

Truth be told, Frost's armour does have some similarities to Eldar armour, being a hybrid of mesh and carapace armour designed for mobility; still, the technology is all human (if not necessarily completely legal).
S.Sgt Silva Birgen: "Good evening, we're here from the Adeptus Defenestratus."
Captain L. Rollin: "Nonsense. Never heard of it."
Birgen: "Pick a window. I'll demonstrate".

GW's =I= articles

MarcoSkoll

A slightly fuller, although still WIP, picture of Alyx. I'm hoping it will change size if it is clicked on.

Technically, her bodyglove actually comes with an armoured hood as well, but it's being left off for the sake of artistic licence.
On the other end of the scale, she probably wouldn't wear her cameleoline most of the time either, but I thought it'd be fun to add anyway. (As I was explaining, the Photoshop file is a mess of different layers over the same base pose, so adding or removing layers is easy).

Plus also, one dataslate log:

~~~~~

> User: Leveque, Astraea
> Passcode: ********
+++ PASSCODE ACCEPTED +++
> Command: Commence new text log
+++ STARTING ENTRY 7723.ae/2 +++

Levongard, Landing Day.

I cannot precisely date this log. I believe it to be early in Decimus 013.M42, although this is difficult to confirm as I have yet to see a time piece on this agrestic world that I trust to have conformity to imperial standard time and my chrono is still to recalibrate itself.

Once again Inquisitor Rhodes - or perhaps, in this case, Overseer Bayev - has made further modifications to our team structure.

I cannot say I am completely sorry to see Novus transferred to Saber cell - the lack of his arrogant manner and rash decision making will not be a loss to our effectiveness. His occasional otherworldly insight and luck are more regrettable departures from our team, and in some ways, I feel one of the most dependable elements in my life of the last few years has been removed. A dependability that included a guarantee that he would say the wrong thing at the wrong time and persistently get on my nerves, but a dependability nonetheless.

Ernst's religious wisdom, impossible charm and herculean strength are all losses for our team, however - and on a personal level, I am feeling the absence of a fellow Iracadian by my side more than I might have initially imagined. We may never really have discussed home all that greatly, but it was a tie to sanity.

This leaves only Guilliman of those I first met on the Holy Blood. There are few I would sooner have covering my back in a fight (even if it seems he sometimes needs the same in return), but he is no great conversationalist, so I am left trying to find someone amongst our newer team members to provide any actual social content to this assignment.

I have had longest to familiarise myself with Pelagius Turlough.
Given that one of his earlier acts during our last mission was to assume the identity of a team member he knew we had recently lost, I cannot credit tact as one of his virtues. I am also fairly sure I would prefer not to know the motivations behind a man with no evident medicae training reading those portions of my records.
I have yet to see how he handles himself under severe pressure and his driving skills seem to be a game of chance, but he does, other than that, seem to be an able agent - his research did strongly benefit our last investigation, and he seems generally observant and learned.

Doyle Grizbain is possessed of questionable morals; limited personal hygiene; extensive appetites both cibarious and carnal; and a great many other things - more specifically, those which should not belong to him.
Fortunately, I think he has stopped attempting to steal from within the cell, so we shouldn't find ourselves at any great danger due to misplaced equipment, but he is still consistently thieving from others. The exact quantity of Commander Barabarigo's stationery about his person at this moment is probably considerable.

However, if those very numerous personality flaws can be put aside, it seems there may be a certain charm underneath, if the numerous tattoos of his various sexual conquests have any truth to them.

Zarkov Khan... I can only assume that someone somewhere believes our cell requires a loose cannon, although this time we have been assigned a pyromaniac rather than a narcissist.
I have had little time to familiarise myself with him beyond that it is clear than most of his waking thoughts relate to an intent to set something, somewhere or someone on fire. That may be a virtue should we find ourselves in combat, but it doesn't contribute to either his investigation and conversation skills.

And I have heard nearly nothing out of Miklos Verner, to the point it has been easy to lose track of whether he is even accompanying us at any given moment.

Only time will tell how our team now serves, although going from three allies I had a history of trust with to only one and a number of individuals who I don't know from Thor, nor they me, may simply cause us to fall apart.

To the mission, a man known as Bloodfist. Three of our allies seem to have direct quarrels with Bloodfist, so provided none are traitors in Bloodfist's employ, I can assume their dedication to the mission.

Our primary Warden contact on this matter has disappeared. Given the timing being only two days before our own landing, I doubt this is a deliberate choice on his part. Back on Iracadia, we knew our ships were in-system days before they reached orbit - even with this planet's low technology, Warden Black likely would have known we were shortly due to arrive at the time of his disappearance. Even if he did not, disappearing with all his notes and not a single message left is not the act of a competent lawman.

We now have several mysteries to solve.

The death of Jax Felderik. We have a potential lead to investigate via the corpse that appears to be from south west Farungo - a settlement called Farcamp, if my interpretation of Warden Torrence's accent serves me well.

But to address the munitions crate, I am brought to Commander Barbarigo, one of the two women who have my attention in all the wrong ways.
Assuming that someone of her experience and standing is neither incompetent nor ignorant - the Inquisition does not ignore a matter because they are told to - why did she draw attention to that weapons shipment? A simple answer would have caused us to gloss over any potential illegalities or poor decision making, but her obstructiveness made it something we would notice.

If she was genuinely trying to keep attention off the shipment, she is a fool. Else, she is attempting to manipulate us. I dislike both options.
She mentioned "His Lordship", and the shipment being lost in the mountains. Checking the planetary maps, unless the terms of address for local nobility are particularly abnormal, I am unable to see which "Lord" would have required a shipment to be sent via the mountains, rather than via land or sea. Again, I dislike the options.

The other woman I mention is Petra Novalon, who appears to be a former Warden who Commander Barbarigo removed, yet also apparently trusts with her life.
She is presently not to be found, although apparently also not presently in the Commander's employ. She is probably my main objective to find at the moment, given her whereabouts are unknown during the time period where Jax Felderik and several of Hoffman's workers were killed.
Doubly so as she was the individual responsible for the half of the weapons shipment which provided the munitions for one of these killings. Adding in the description of her as a general purpose gun for hire with a tendency for widespread collateral damage, Barbarigo's vouching for her doesn't seem to be adding up to much at the moment.

Armando Hoffman is the next element of interest. The question of six dead workers on his premises does beg question, but he seems the least likely to be suspect in this situation - he does not need to break into his own offices, he seemed genuinely shaken and the timing gives him a decent alibi for the death of Felderik.

But, things are seldom as they seem, so he will remain on our watchlist.

The question of where we go next exists. It is late in the day as I write this, so little more can be achieved this evening.
The possibility exists of Ms Novalon returning to the Pikeman's Halt, or of trying to delve deeper into Warden records - although the records I wish to see might well require forced entry.

May he on Terra provide me the wisdom to proceed.

Ave Imperator.

+++ ENTRY 7723.ae/2 ENDS+++
> Command: Encrypt
+++ ENCRYPTING ENTRY 7723.ae/2+++
+++ PROCESSING+++
+++ COMPLETE+++
> Command: Log off
+++ COMMAND ACCEPTED +++
+++ THOUGHT FOR THE DAY: A FINE MIND IS A BLESSING OF THE EMPEROR - IT SHOULD NOT BE CLUTTERED WITH TRIVIALITIES +++
+++ SYSTEM LOG-OFF +++

GW's =I= articles

Heroka Vendile

Looking good.
If you're wondering why Barbarigo was a little inconsistent, it's because I was pretty much ad-libbing half the session due to deciding to make a plot change on the fly that meant you would probably end up speaking with her, something that wasn't in the original plan at all  :P
It's all fun and games until someone shoots their own guy with a Graviton gun instead of the MASSIVE SPIDER.
The Order of Krubal
Rewards Of The Enemy

MarcoSkoll

I guessed that was a likely cause but "I don't trust the Warden Commander" is rather more suitable for an in-character mission log than "I don't think the GM had notes for this part".

GW's =I= articles

MarcoSkoll

Well, there was quite a debate going on there.

Clepsydra found herself on the outnumbered side - but vats of clones are a normal thing for her and she's quite prepared to treat people of unusual origins as people.
Calne was a digital half-copy uploaded into the wrong body? As far as Sydra's concerned, so what. Really, the only argument that swung it was the realisation that was an existence Calne wasn't happy with. (Unless she misconstrued that threat of violence).

Overall, she's not pleased with a mission outcome that saved nobody and similarly not pleased with almost no survivors from the landing team...

... but she doesn't regret having tried anyway. Unfortunately, she's a hero.

GW's =I= articles

Koval

Quote from: MarcoSkoll on October 11, 2013, 04:27:14 AM
Calne was a digital half-copy uploaded into the wrong body?
Sort of. Calne was indeed a digital half-copy, but the only reason her body was "wrong" was because those were originally carbon copies of Skarkon -- they'd been surgically altered to look like Calne.

The problem was simply that Skarkon was still about 25 years away from having actual Calne copies, so she had to modify her own.

QuoteReally, the only argument that swung it was the realisation that was an existence Calne wasn't happy with. (Unless she misconstrued that threat of violence).
I should imagine that hearing it straight from her boss (and creator) would've been a deal-breaker for Calne -- in that respect Skarkon is fortunate that the daemon showed up when it did.

Not that Calne wouldn't have gone postal on the Inquisitor had she survived the daemon encounter.

MarcoSkoll

Quote from: Koval on October 11, 2013, 07:10:46 AMSort of.
Still, it works for Clepsydra. Being an engineered project of black science makes you a bit more open to that kind of thing.

GW's =I= articles

Koval

Thought I'd mentioned this earlier, turns out I hadn't -- I'm starting a new temp contract on Monday, but this time it's far enough away that it'll most likely take me ages to get home.

So it's likely I'll be arriving closer to 8 than to 7:30 for some time.

MarcoSkoll

Well, remembering that...

Quote from: Heroka Vendile on September 19, 2013, 11:54:23 AM
Also be aware with plenty advance notice that I won't be around for the 28th Oct and 4th Nov either. So we'll get 3 sessions in prior to a mini break, then things will run normally up till christmas when we tend to play it by ear a bit.

... we'll probably be missing about four sessions anyway.

In any case, I'm sure I'll be able to entertain people until you get there this week with the shopping list Alyx would like to acquire before heading further across Levongard.

Mostly, the list relates to hoping that local shopkeepers will recognise the word "soap", but there's also a couple of things she's hoping can be bribed from the warden's quartermaster.

GW's =I= articles

Koval

I appear to have forgotten that, although I equally have no idea how long this contract's due to last -- it'll definitely affect the next two weeks for sure.

Koval

I don't think I'll even be on Skype this Thursday -- I'm likely to be busy most of the evening.

MarcoSkoll

Works for me. I'll be helping my parents on a short boat-trip over the next few days anyway.

GW's =I= articles

Heroka Vendile

The collected lists from last week and previously of prisoners, etc. so you know exactly what you have to hand leading into your questionings/interrogations in a couple weeks time. You may well want to pull from other notes you have, but this is just to list a reminder of the definitive items of evidence collected.

Warden Compound detainment cells
Arnst Wexman – injured
Petra Novallon – injured
Farcamper man – injured

Warden Compound morgue
Jax Felderick – killed in the Drunken Skyjack bombing
Marcus Lowes – headshot with shotgun by Novallon
1 Augmented Farcamp man
3 Farcamp men from safe house (including the one who transported the package)
1 Farcamp tavern bomber – horrifically burnt remains
6 of Hoffman's warehouse workers
Hoffman's Grand Bazaar store clerk

Itemsof possible interest
Revolver & purse of 50 Thrones found on Hoffman's clerk
3 lasguns (from Farcampers at safe house)
remains of 2 explosives crates (Drunken Skyjack & safe house)
the Package (10 inches long, 3 inch diameter, black, ceramic looking, shaped like half a horse shoe, heavy, smooth surface with wires protruding in various places)

Other Notes
Lowes was a local low-life, a Port Hope native in his mid thirties he had a history of getting in trouble with the Sheriffs, by luck alone he'd never been imprisoned at a time when the Mechanicus had come to empty prisons. He had 2 flintlock pistols and a knife.

Wexman had 2 autopistols, a collapsible power glaive, very advanced bionic legs, chest and arms light carapace armour under merchant garb and a coin pouch with 20 Porties, 15 Grams, 30 Thrones.

Novallon had a shotgun, an archeotech laspistol, boot knife, sword, flak vest, good quality tunic and trousers and a coin pouch with 20 Porties.

The Augmented Farcamper has extensive but not terribly good bionic implants, mostly sub-dermal, Warden mortician believes it to be some sort of full-body charging conduit. The man has also had the rear part of his brain replaced with bionics. The mortician believes the work was probably done by a heretek rather than by any member of the mechanicus with resources. Aside from these implants, he appears to have be utterly unremarkable.

The 6 warehouse workers and the store clerk all have facial traits that would appear to make them related, Hoffman has already confirmed the warehouse workers were all related.

If anyone's interested, the current body count is 13 civilians (all victims of the tavern bombing, so far) and 14 NPCs.
It's all fun and games until someone shoots their own guy with a Graviton gun instead of the MASSIVE SPIDER.
The Order of Krubal
Rewards Of The Enemy

MarcoSkoll

A very belated next log entry:

~~~~~

> User: Leveque, Astraea
> Passcode: ********
+++ PASSCODE ACCEPTED +++
> Command: Commence new text log
+++ STARTING ENTRY 7728.vs/1 +++

Levongard, day two.

The Emperor smiles on us. A lead relating to a number of Farcamp natives seen around the Grand Bazaar in Westmarket proved genuine.

We tailed one to a small store belonging to Armando Hoffman, observed him doing business and tracked him back to a building further south in the area. Brix reports this as a former safehouse of the Wardens around five years ago. The timing here is suspiciously close to Novalon's departure from their services.
Although, as I recall Pelagius noting later, it probably would have been possible to find the safehouse based simply on the colour their language was turning the air. Subtlety did not seem to be one of their strengths.

We conducted an impromptu assault on the building, complicated slightly by Pelagius inadvertently detonating a store of explosives in the process, but it otherwise proved successful. We recovered Petra Novalon in the process, injured but alive. She has a lot of things to answer for.
We need to determine the present nature of Commander Barbarigo's bizarre relationship with her; potentially account for it as well. The insane degree of trust she seems to place in Novalon may lead her to interrupt our questioning.
But for her own sake, she had better not have known of Novalon's involvement in this operation.

Perhaps of greater long term value, the individual who attempted to flee across the local rooftops before he was apprehended by Doyle and I is Arnst Wexman. Given his apparent degree of bionic augmentation and his not inconsiderable head-start, I am not unproud of having matched his pace.

To quote the mission briefing, Wexman is believed to be Bloodfist's second in command. This seems plausible, given the extensive cost of his bionics, although we must accurately determine his importance to the operation.
If true, then we have a very valuable resource at our disposal here. With any luck, we shall be able to get something chrestomathic from him.
It also eases my concerns about this mission to an extent. The organisation will be weakened by the loss of a major lieutenant and I am not dramatically cowed by their level of security, both information and physical, if this is that demonstrated by apparently one of their best.

For the sake of record, the names of Lowes, Hoffman, Novalon, Felderik, Black, Wexman, Bloodfist and Brix were used, and mention was also made of the explosion at the Skyjack and the dead workers at Hoffman's compound being part of cleaning up their messes.
This absolutely confirms Bloodfist's involvement and very fortunately implies the situation that they themselves do not know where Warden Black may be.

The absence of mention of the Inquisition is also worth of note. As of yet, our involvement in this may be unanticipated. However, Brix has mentioned the possibility of internal leaks within the Wardens. This has a high likelihood of compromising that valuable secret, so we should not assume that Bloodfist will remain unaware of our presence in the situation. He will quickly take note if we have indeed captured his chief lieutenant and the latest of his trinkets.

Lowes was previously unknown to me, although Brix has confirmed him as one of the five bodies we took from the Safehouse. He is described as a persistent offender, although he has avoided having spent enough time in the gaols to have been taken to Sudvan. Seeing as these visits from the Mechanicus Envoy are approximately yearly, it would seem his crimes are of a petty nature.

Nonetheless, I wish to read the records the Wardens have on him. If he has been working for Bloodfist for any length of time, the specifics of his crimes may be valuable information.
He was after all important enough that Novalon's first thoughts during our assault was to ensure he was dead; It seems trust is in short supply in their operation. Wexman made similar efforts to eliminate Novalon, an important detail we should remind her of should she seem to have any remaining loyalties.

I am left to wonder if there are any offenders similar to Lowes that may also have been absorbed into the operations on Levongard. Perhaps Pelagius might find searching their records a source of entertainment; he certainly spent enough time in the Braggand house's records on Maedai.

A similar matter is the extensive recruitment of  Farcamp natives; Pelagius's hypothesis that the artefact may have importance to them is of potential merit, but I want clearer answers on what and why their involvement is.

And lastly, we have to make the apprehension of Hoffman a high priority. He is failing the Emperor in either his purity or his diligence if his business has any involvement with Bloodfist's operation. That is, if his guilt has not already led him to flee.

Ave Imperator.

+++ ENTRY 7728.vs/1 ENDS+++
> Command: Encrypt
+++ ENCRYPTING ENTRY 7728.vs/1+++
+++ PROCESSING+++
+++ COMPLETE+++
> Command: Log off
+++ COMMAND ACCEPTED +++
+++ THOUGHT FOR THE DAY: BE GRATEFUL OF YOUR MASTER'S FAVOUR +++
+++ SYSTEM LOG-OFF +++

~~~~~

In summary, the big questions Alyx has are:

Novalon: What was she doing there? Did Barbarigo know about it? What is her current relationship with Barbarigo?
Wexman: Anything we can get from him about Bloodfist's operation and his importance to it. Also, anything about the artefact.
Farcamper: Why and how are you working for Bloodfist? Does the artefact mean anything to you? General questions about weird cyborg dude.
General Warden enquiries: Lowes' record. Other potential lowlifes that might be involved.
Hoffman (once found): Is he incompetent or a heretic?

GW's =I= articles