Main Menu

News:

If you are having problems registering, please e-mail theconclaveforum at gmail.com

Dark Heresy VOIP Campaign

Started by precinctomega, April 26, 2010, 10:17:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Heroka Vendile

I think we are, however I learnt yesterday that I'm out for a family lunch at 12.30, so may not be back till 2 or so.
It's all fun and games until someone shoots their own guy with a Graviton gun instead of the MASSIVE SPIDER.
The Order of Krubal
Rewards Of The Enemy

MarcoSkoll

Pexir session 1 notes:

Summoned by the Inquisition, the cell is are put on route to Pexir (Carthax Wiki Page) aboard the "Vindicated Passion".

They are met aboard by a new handler, Urban Schröder (appears to be physically in his 60s or possibly early 70s, but is well built. He is patterned with the scars and bionics of an abnormally long career as an Inquisition agent). Once the cell closes on Pexir, they are briefed on the mission.

~~~~~

The mission is in two stages. The primary stage is the retrieval of a casket lost by active agents of Sierra cell - no known survivors. Casket is approximately 50cm by 40 by 30 cm and is genelocked to Sierra cell's prime operative: Vin Latko. Contents of casket are unknown - Sierra cell were largely on vox silence, so the present stage of their mission is unclear.

Current intelligence gives a very high probability that the case was lost to the Razor gang in the depths of Hosz hive, as they are currently making considerable arrangements in "the Black Cave", a notorious smuggling den in the underhive.

The gang leader is Nikolai "Edge" Vratislav - a nose that has been broken too many times, two deep gashes over his left eye, a short mohawk, numerous facial piercings, but no visible tattoos.
Current strength of gang is believed to be about 30-50 members. No clear figures, as gangs tend to minimise contact with authorities.

The Razor gang is currently believed to be in "alliance" with Liteka gang and Poeker clan, but their current enemies are unclear.
"Edge" himself is believed to have close relationship with two working girls: Paraskeva Fabian & Milena Lilianan

The Inquisitor's network has no other dedicated investigation cells available on Pexir (hence why the player cell is being brought in), but limited support on ground may be available from certain contacts in extreme circumstances.
Given the fate of Sierra cell, the cell is strongly advised to avoid revealing its status as Inquisition agents whenever possible.

~~~~~

The cell is a few days later deployed to Pexir by a bulk passenger shuttle that can be described as "Standing room only". They arrive on level 174 of Hosz hive, are quickly shooed/shoved out of the shuttle and get a brief view of the surface of Pexir as the shuttle bay doors seal. (A reasonably pleasant looking low-level jungle, although often made inhospitable by extreme weather conditions).

Moving out into the city proper, there is a considerable "traveller's market" built up around the shuttle bay - a plethora of stalls seeking to profit from hungry arrivals (with considerably more pleasant food than what has been served on the warp voyage), as well as rentable accommodation.

At the far end of the market, a clearer view of the city is possible - while there are massive arcing support structures to hold up the colossal weight of the hive, the city is not delineated into domes in the same way as Hive Primus or its ilk. The space is fairly "open" by the standards of a hive, with ramps, roads and bridges that allow free access between levels (which appear to be somewhat arbitrarily numerated, as there's no strict boundary between what's one level and the next).

The transport in Hosz hive (or this region, at least) is primarily galvanically powered ground vehicles, with occasional grav-capable vehicles skipping over the flow of traffic.
Various of the new arrivals that came with you are nearby being loaded onto what is broadly a cab-less flatbed truck with seats laid out in the rear, evidently as some form of public transport.

Dose accesses a data-port, and manages to locate a nearby Mechanicus complex, but is rejected by the security protocols when he tries to find out more.
Gaenor approaches one of the various "tourist guides" and with a hefty bribe (by the guide's standards anyway) gets a considerable selection of maps (two parchment, and a data crystal accessible by slate).

~~~~~

EDIT: Session 2 postponed, due to headaches and absences.
S.Sgt Silva Birgen: "Good evening, we're here from the Adeptus Defenestratus."
Captain L. Rollin: "Nonsense. Never heard of it."
Birgen: "Pick a window. I'll demonstrate".

GW's =I= articles

MarcoSkoll

More session notes. If you think there are any glaring errors or omissions (even as the GM, I sometimes forget what's happened!), tell me.

~~~~~

Pexir session 2 notes:

The team rents a room around the Level 174 shuttle bay, in order to serve as a base of operations on at least a temporary basis.

A discussion on potential approaches to "Edge", his gang and the casket raises a number of possibilities.

Edge might be got to via his favourite working girls, or by posting/adding to a bounty on his head (with several less than legal propositions around how to fund that - robbing banks or criminals). Plans for acquiring the casket revolve around the auction - winning, rigging or sabotaging the auction, or capturing it while it is on the move to or from the Cave.

The team then take one of the mag-elevators to investigate the gang's territory (largely between Levels 40-50) and the Black Cave (level 37), arriving at the closest stop, Level 47.
Their investigation starts from the most reputable drinking establishment they can find in the region, The Rusty Cask. Here, they search for a relatively gormless gun-for-hire, and find Jarek Novak, offering him a retainer to keep himself drunk rather than busy.

In looking for more details on the Black Cave, they get no immediate answers, but after a few minutes are delivered a written message telling them to meet at Street 15728a. They begin to make their way there, but notice they're being followed by six very well armed and armoured thugs.

~~~~~

Pexir session 3 notes:

The thugs catch up with the cell. Seemingly having mistaken the cell's inquiries in the pub as a sign of gang affiliation, the thugs attempt to kidnap the cell.

However, the cell's microbeads are then wired into by another party, a female using the alias V. She provides a distraction by severely stunning the thug's leader with a rifle shot that cuts through his helmet and left cheek. The cell then flee down an alleyway, throwing an incendiary grenade to block off the exit.

They are then cut off again further ahead by two of the thugs, who badly wound Maya before they are gunned down. Trying to avoid the main fight, Dose and Rosaline have a brief incident with an angry guard dog, before Dose runs into an officious Arbitrator (who, in an attempt to ascertain what is going on, got attacked by the aforementioned guard dog).

Maya flees the main fight when the well armed/armoured thug leader arrives; he then badly wounds Gaenor with a bolt round before V appears from behind and impales him. Maya and Rose then have a brief exchange of fire with an autogun wielding thug before he backs off up the corridor, shortly afterwards leading to an exchange of fire with V, who fatally shoots him in the chest with a high-powered laspistol before disappearing.

The Arbitrator briefly questions several of the cell, but ultimately decides there is nothing of significance he can charge them with (or perhaps realises that he's outnumbered) and instead busies himself with arranging to have the several bodies cleared up.
After he leaves, V then reappears. Now they have a clearer look, V is a fairly small woman wearing cameleoline. Her face is largely hidden. V successfully guesses from the mis-matched mix of probing off-worlders that they are an Inquisition cell (which Gaenor then inadvertently confirms), also showing clear disdain for their (perceived) incompetence for running into a group of "snatchers".

Angrily, Gaenor attempts to fire on V, but in the close quarters, V evades and brings a blade to the Guardswoman's throat before continuing (mentioning her own inquisition involvement and the presence of another cell). When V removes the blade, Gaenor makes several threats and attempts to attack again, but is tackled by Maya. This proves to be the last straw for V, who simply leaves during the scuffle.

There is then a general argument between Gaenor and the rest of the cell about whether that was the right way to handle the situation, regardless of how condescending V may or may not have been. Eventually, Rose has enough of Gaenor's dismissive swearing, and shuts up the argument by insisting they return to their mission. They proceed to Street 15728a, but during half an hour of waiting (as Dose and Rose do their best to patch up the wounded members of the cell) they are not approached by anyone.

Concluding that the message was likely either from the now-irritated V or a trick by the thugs, they begin a search of the wider area.

~~~~~

The next session is currently set for 10th July, due to absences next week.

GW's =I= articles

Van Helser

Also, after failing every single dice roll all game, Dose rolls natural 2's consecutively as he uses his new medicae mechadendrite to heal first Maya, and then Gaenor (though accidental amputation may have crossed his mind...).

Ruaridh

Koval

I maintain that V needs to get over herself and pull the stick out of her backside. Gaenor's reaction was entirely appropriate for the character.

MarcoSkoll

A fair point, Ruaridh, I've edited the healing into the notes.

On the note of V, and this is off the record, she wasn't deliberately intended to divide and irritate the cell to quite the point as to have the Tech-Priest considering wilful medical malpractice, but I wasn't exactly expecting the cell to fall in love with her either.
There are reasons as to why she responded to you the way she did - both relating to her character and the overall plot, but whether or not you figure out any such specifics remains to be seen.

GW's =I= articles

Koval

just woke up with a headache guys, and these things usually last all day, so don't count on me being there today.

Koval

...and a quick reminder that I'll be travelling this weekend. See you on the 24th?

MarcoSkoll

That means we won't have you or Ruaridh, so yes. I'll try and have a summary of what happened in last week's session* before then.

*We pushed ahead a bit, as I didn't want to miss this coming session too and thus leave it a full month between sessions; Don't worry, no opportunities to shoot V in the face were missed, although that is because there weren't any opportunities...

GW's =I= articles

TallulahBelle

Its probably cheeky since you guys have been playing ages and have big detailed shared histories but... When your next campaign starts would their be a slot open?
Im really struggling to find a RPG group that's interested in the same kind of intricate plot focused stuff I am ao... Um yeah.
Ben/bethan/jedi

MarcoSkoll

Absolutely - we're always open to new players. The group has had about a dozen players through its run, including from as far afield as Florida and Israel, but it's only Euan and me who've been involved continuously*. (Ruaridh was in the group at the very start though, but he took a break for things like getting married).

* Well, almost. I've missed a couple of sessions since we started. As in literally two. :P

We're not even so far embroiled in the current story that a new character couldn't be introduced at this stage; we've had a few players join mid-plot before.

Quote from: jediknight129 on July 15, 2016, 01:59:25 AMbig detailed shared histories
Well, our current characters don't have an over-abundance of shared history, as we only started with this cell about a year ago, and not all of the characters have made it.

There's quite a few stories from our previous cell (many of the more entertaining ones revolving around either Ernst Udet or Novus Tristar) and our infamous "list of things" (our list of in-jokes, born of our sillier ideas), but they're not immediately vital to joining the game.

GW's =I= articles

TallulahBelle

Awesome, and all I need are a competent net connection some sort of voip program and a couple of D10 right? As for a character iv got a couple somewhere. I don't currently have a copy of the DH book if that's an issue (I was more drawn to rogue trader personally)

MarcoSkoll

Quote from: jediknight129 on July 15, 2016, 03:32:20 PMAwesome, and all I need are a competent net connection some sort of voip program and a couple of D10 right? As for a character iv got a couple somewhere. I don't currently have a copy of the DH book if that's an issue (I was more drawn to rogue trader personally)
The systems are largely compatible in their core rules*, but the character creation and advancement are somewhat askew to each other. Rogue Trader characters start at a minimum of 5000 XP with fairly decent equipment (boltguns, carapace, etc), which is a little more than our present DH cell is currently at - at the moment, around 3500 XP, with equipment closer to flak armour and shotguns. However, I have the DH PDF, which I won't feel too guilty about sending you if you need it (given that 1st edition is now an OOP ruleset and you've already got most of the core rules in the RT book).

* The only major differences are how psychic powers and money work, as well as RT having all the space mechanics. Most of the rest is minor errata, but we of course have a couple of house rules to get used to as well.

We use Skype (and occasionally Roll20, an online RPG tool, if we need to use maps), but we'll probably also want to discuss your character and how we include them via e-mail too. I'll PM you some contact details.

GW's =I= articles

TallulahBelle

Thank you hunni.

Id really love the pdf actually. My DH copy went back to the society bookshelf at the end of the year I left uni as a leaving gift to the soc.

Do I need to download anything for roll20? Also um... I tend to use a vpicevhanger via skype for a couple of reasons. 1. My natural voice has some problems that skype tends to enhance. (a slight vocal slur) more audible via VOIP than in person. Reason 2. Is... Erm complicated.  Just putting that out as not a warning but it may sound not what u expect.

Thanks again hun!!! Yet another reason I love the conclave community. Im... Iv wanted to ask for an invite for ages but iv never been brave enough.

MarcoSkoll

Quote from: jediknight129 on July 16, 2016, 01:58:00 AMDo I need to download anything for roll20?
It's in-browser; although it uses something like Flash, Javascript and/or similar, I don't recall it needing any non-standard plug-in.

QuoteAlso um... I tend to use a vpicevhanger via skype for a couple of reasons.
We've had people use them before (generally to voice a character of the other gender); some of the programs have been thinly veiled dubstep machines*, but if you think it'll help make you clearer, that's fine by me.

* To cut through our in-jokes and obscure references, "dubstep" is our jargon for the call breaking up or distorting.

GW's =I= articles