Main Menu

News:

If you are having problems registering, please e-mail theconclaveforum at gmail.com

Molotov's 54mm...

Started by Molotov, April 29, 2010, 08:13:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Molotov

Yes, you heard right! I've been leafing through various blogs and I'm keen to put together a small group of 54mm models. My concept, as-yet, is for a Dark Heresy-esque group of Inquisitorial agents, perhaps led by an Interrogator. Ideally I'd like to tie them into the narrative of my INQ28 adventures, so they'll be ferreting around somewhere in the Dalthan Sector, and perhaps they'll be part of Inquisitor Hoth's network of agents.

My aim is to try to put together some interesting and innovative models, if possible. I'm not intricately familiar with the Inquisitor model range, and so I'd appreciate some input as to which models go together well. Money isn't really an object here, and I'd like to keep to GW bits and pieces (insofar as possible).

I've been heavily inspired by Van Helser's "Morchai" model, though I'd like to use something other than Josef's arms - perhaps Malicant's, though I'd like to give him a pistol (from Devlan, perhaps) but then I'm not sure what to do with the other arm. This character I imagine being a priest or the Interrogator.  Any thoughts on his arms would be appreciated. I've seen that Ferran converted his Gabriel Stern with Malicant's arms to have a ranged weapon, but studying the online store and the CCMWiki it's not particularly clear how easy doing something like that would be.

Is there anything interesting I can do with Stone? With his musculature it looks as though it'd be pretty difficult to give him other arms without sculpting some semblance of clothing on him, and I really don't like the head...

The Bounty Hunter figure - how nice a model is it, actually? It's got an awful paintjob on the GW site and I've never been enamoured with it, but it looks as though it could possibly have some potential.

Could it perhaps be possible to repose the Callidus Assassin so she was standing straight? Her hips look somewhat awkward so I'd appreciate any guidance anyone might have. I've looked on CCMWiki and the arms are a little unusually-cast, also - could it be possible to use Barbaretta's arms?

The other (available) character I'd be interested in is the Arbites Judge - does anyone have any interesting conversions for him?

Thanks in advance for any responses,

- Mol.
INQ28 Thread | INQ28 Blog
INQ28, done properly, is at least the equal of its big brother - and Mol is one of the expert proponents of "done properly".
- precinctomega

MarcoSkoll

Quote from: Molotov on April 29, 2010, 08:13:52 PMIs there anything interesting I can do with Stone?
I once converted Stone into a middle aged woman. Whether that's interesting or just outright disturbing will of course depend on your point of view, but it demonstrated that it's not too hard to remove the raised details from the torso and sculpt on clothing.

QuoteThe Bounty Hunter figure - how nice a model is it, actually?
I've not got one myself, but one of my mates has. It's certainly got itself some potential - makes for a good puritan Van Helsing type without too much work.

QuoteCould it perhaps be possible to repose the Callidus Assassin so she was standing straight? Her hips look somewhat awkward so I'd appreciate any guidance anyone might have.
To be entirely honest, the legs in general are awkward. I don't know which sculptor was involved, but I wouldn't accept that of my own work. The inner thighs are pretty much missing and the pelvis is an odd shape.

Kaled has of course managed to repose the model out of its "skipping through the daisies" pose (see here), but personally, I'd say there's more to be fixed than just that.
S.Sgt Silva Birgen: "Good evening, we're here from the Adeptus Defenestratus."
Captain L. Rollin: "Nonsense. Never heard of it."
Birgen: "Pick a window. I'll demonstrate".

GW's =I= articles

Necris

I've also done a conversion with the callidus

And as for the Judge and Bounty Hunter

Judge

This here is my very favourite gun...I call her rita.

The Order of the Iron Rose - Necris' Inq28 Plog

Kaled

Quote from: Molotov on April 29, 2010, 08:13:52 PM
I'm keen to put together a small group of 54mm models
That's how it starts - I was keen to put together four or five 54mm models and then I was going to go straight back to my 28mm projects!

QuoteI'd like to keep to GW bits and pieces (insofar as possible).
I'm curious - why?  Do you plan to play at GW stores?  Or do you have some other reason for wanting to restrict yourself to GW stuff?

QuoteI've seen that Ferran converted his Gabriel Stern with Malicant's arms to have a ranged weapon, but studying the online store and the CCMWiki it's not particularly clear how easy doing something like that would be.
I don't think it'd be too tricky - you might need a bit of greenstuff, but it shouldn't be too hard...

QuoteIs there anything interesting I can do with Stone?
That depends - what do you call 'interesting'?  He's a pretty cool model and you could easily convert him to have robes open at the front so his chest is showing.  Or give him a Hawaiian shirt like Van Helser did...

QuoteI really don't like the head...
I'm not a huge fan of it in an unconverted state, but it looks great if you get rid of the staples.  I've used it twice - once on my Obliterator-infected gunfighter and again on an Inquisitorial Stormtrooper

QuoteThe Bounty Hunter figure - how nice a model is it, actually?
The torso and legs are surprisingly good, but I'm not a fan of the arms or heads.

QuoteCould it perhaps be possible to repose the Callidus Assassin so she was standing straight?
Yep, as others have said, reposing the Callidus is not too difficult.  She is pretty slender, but you could probably give her Barbaretta's arms.  Or, as she's so slender you could probably convert some 28mm arms to fit - which is what I did (incidentally, I plan to rework that model slightly in the near future - I've never been happy with her).  But as Marco says, the pose isn't the only thing wrong with her and there are better female models out there.

QuoteThe other (available) character I'd be interested in is the Arbites Judge - does anyone have any interesting conversions for him?
Again it depends on what you call interesting - I've used him for two conversions, an Inquisitorial Stormtrooper and a Skitarii-Provost, but if you look around there are loads of great conversions of him.  IMHO he's one of the better models in the GW range and is surprisingly versatile.
I like to remember things my own way... Not necessarily the way they happened.

Inquisitor - Blood Bowl - Malifaux - Fairy Meat

kierkegaard

Barbaretta's arms are almost as big as the Callidus assassin's legs.

Necris

I have to agree with Dave the Bounty hunter arms and very....smooth there is little detail on them at all
This here is my very favourite gun...I call her rita.

The Order of the Iron Rose - Necris' Inq28 Plog

Ferran

Converting Malicant's arms isn't too tough, you just need suitable hands (don't even have to remove the originals as they are attached to his sword). Painting can be fiddly due to the arms/weapon crossing the torso so some planning is required.

One good thing about the Judge is that he comes with 3 heads, always nice to have options. His look can fit a number of differrent architypes. Cutting his torso off and creating a skirt-type configuration is a popular and effective conversion. Whether you stick with the original body or replace the torso there are a number of arm sets that work well with the model.

I really like the Bounty Hunter. His legs seem a little over-long and his torso seems maybe a tiny bit squat, but the model is very tall and imposing. Good number of parts, easy to swap out the torso/arms/etc. I agree that the arms aren't good. The heads are ok for me, and there's a few other bits in the kit. Nice Witch Hunter / desparado type, my next one will be along the lines of http://img1.fantasticfiction.co.uk/images/n49/n245928.jpg Derek did a nice conversion using the legs and torso iirc. edit/ the sculpted text on the bounty hunter isn't great imo and should be obliterated with a file.

I'm also a fan of the Sgt Stone mini. His head is easily filed down to look more normal. You can use 40k Ork arms for a nice jungle / Catachan appearance http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/dd176/Jazz_is_for_losers/Inquisitor/Catachan.jpg Toothpick Murke also has a nice looking head for this character too (it's the same head but someone has filed the Stone head and then added a bandana).

Myriad

The witchhunter model is quite good for parts, and includes a head sans hat.  The body and legs are certainly a good base for a model.  The judge is another good one for parts, but does have a rather distinctive pose that tends to mark out a model as a judge conversion (not necessarily a bad thing). 

Converting Malicant's arms to carry a ranged weapon is a fair bit of work, though I guess not especially difficult - the arms will come without hands attached, so maybe you can attach another hand relatively simply (the eversor assassin comes with alternative right hands, though the rest of the model is hard work to use).  Stone I've seem used alot of different ways - my brother turned him into a servitor.

I can't offer much guidance on the callidus - the skull codpiece has always put me off buying it.

I had better point out, that some of the clubs I represent are of a military bent.

You know what you are?  A plywood shark!

precinctomega

QuoteI have to agree with Dave the Bounty hunter

A career change I hadn't heard about?

QuoteI'm keen to put together a small group of 54mm models.

Yesssss.... Come to the Dark Side!  Give in to your anger!  Surrender to your hate!  It is... your destiny!

R.

Molotov

Well, the dark side has been given into!

Yesterday I received:

Adeptus Arbites Judge
Bounty Hunter
Callidus Assassin
Cherubael
Daemon Huntress
Devotee Malicant
Inquisitor Covenant
Inquisitor Eisenhorn
Kroot Mercenary (which came with the add-on bits - the Kroot rifle, etc. - but not with the lacerator!)
Special Security Enforcer Barbaretta (which came with the Lucretia Bravus bits)
Slick' Devlan (which came with the Damien Bloodhound Bits)

I've already begun to slowly piece things together. I've not got pictures at this stage, because my computer's died and I'm having to post this off a work PC, but I've taken inspiration from Auric Morchai to place Cherubael's head on Covenant's body (I still need to work out the legs and arms) and I've begun making an Arbitrator Judge using the head from Slick Devlan to make a grizzled, older film noir-esque character.

I'm still trying to work out what to do with the other pieces - I had thought of using Malicant's legs for the Interrogator, but now I'm thinking that Delphan Gruss' legs would be a better fit. Malicant's been a little awkward, but I'm not sure what to do with him. I've considered using the alternate head from the bounty hunter on the Malicant body, but as I'm planning on using Malicant's arms on the interrogator, I'm not sure what arms to put on Malicant's body.

The bounty hunter's legs and body could well work for a hiver noble or somesuch - not quite sure which head to use at the moment. I suppose that it  it rather depends on the character that he develops.

Kaled - I do have some questions about the Callidus conversion you did. Which arms did you use? You mentioned 28mm arms, but I'm curious as to which ones (in particular) you used.  Thanks in advance for the help!
INQ28, done properly, is at least the equal of its big brother - and Mol is one of the expert proponents of "done properly".
- precinctomega

precinctomega

Ooh, there's nothing like having a big pile of new models, with limbs and bits all over the place, to mix and match together into new and interesting character concepts.

Enjoy!

R.

Kaled

Wow!!! You really have embraced the 'Dark side' haven't you?! That's an impressive haul of models - I look forwards ro seeing pics (and maybe seeing them at a Conclave event?).

IIRC I used old (as in Rogue Trader 'old') ork boy arms on the Callidus conversion. They might be rather hard to get hold of now, but I'm thinking you could easily lengthen some marine arms to fit...
I like to remember things my own way... Not necessarily the way they happened.

Inquisitor - Blood Bowl - Malifaux - Fairy Meat

Molotov

Indeed, there are some nice miniatures that will make some brilliant characters. It's been nice fiddling around with all those miniatures (though I wish that I could get a few other models - the bodyguard especially!)

I'll try to get some pictures up as soon as possible. Any suggestions about combinations that I could put together are more than welcome! I had considered using Covenant's arms on the body of the Bounty Hunter (the torso would require some slight alteration to allow them to fit). I would need to replace the sword with something slightly less ostentatious though...
- precinctomega

kierkegaard

Quote from: Molotov on May 06, 2010, 02:47:45 PM
Any suggestions about combinations that I could put together are more than welcome!

My suggestion would be to look through the archives of the painting and modelling section. Any post titled 'Showcase' is usually a good bet.

Molotov

Well, here are my first photographs. I've spent most of the day setting up my new netbook, so I only have pictures of my Arbitrator yet - just the Interrogator. As many of you are old hands at Inquisitor, it might not be especially exciting, but documenting my progress encourages me to continue.

As such, here's the progress of my Interrogator - the Arbitrator will follow soon, I hope.

- precinctomega