Main Menu

News:

If you are having problems registering, please e-mail theconclaveforum at gmail.com

Inquisitor Marcus Catullus & Warband

Started by Sideros Peltarion, August 10, 2009, 08:32:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sideros Peltarion

Hi guys, I haven't played a full campaign with detailed characters before so I am new to this, however I have put together a warband for an Istvaanian Inquisitor.  I haven't yet written proper backgrounds for them, but have had some thoughts to start from and wanted to see what you guys think of them.
I tried to make my warband not overly powerful, but as it is my first proper warband you will be able to judge better than I.

Inquisitor Marcus Catullus
Equipment: Laspistol, chainsword/power fist, flak armour on all locations but head, two frag grenades, auspex, knife.
Special Abilities: Force of Will, Leader, Nerves of Steel.
   WS   BS   S   T   I   Wp   Sg   Nv   Ld
   87   67   65   62   83   84   82   85   84

Basically I was thinking he would be a former Guard Lieutenant recruited as Interrogator by an Inquisitor during an investigation/uprising whatever and who is now a few decades into his full Inquisitorial carreer.  I see him as more of a leader from the front, an inspiring presence due to his Guard experiences etc.  He followed his mentor into the Istvaanian philosophy and seeks to create insurrections and cults in order to kick-start Imperial planets into becoming more militaristic, supplying more and better recruits for the Imperial Guard.
I was thinking of giving him a power fist as I have a model in mind to start from that I already own, however if it is too powerful or whatever then just say and I will give him the chainsword.

Interrogator Lukas Garven
Equipment: Laspistol, knife, robes (AV 2 on all locations but head)
Special Abilities: Acrobatic, Catfall, Dodge
Psychic Abilities: Wyrd Hammerhand, Storm of Lightning.
   74   71   54   55   73   79   73   78   77

Lukas Garven is Catullus' interrogator who is used by Catullus to infiltrate/promote cults on Imperial worlds for Catullus to use or expose for his own ends.  He is equipped to match the people he might interract with, but as soon as he needs to he can open up with his psycher powers.  I haven't given much thought yet to his history or personality, but will be soon.

I have an Imperial Guard Veteran from Finreht and an assassin/vigilante character with knives too but I have to go downstairs so will put them up tomorrow.
It is the first Warband I have thought up and it is still in the planning stages so go easy on me please, and I will take nay advice you have on board.
Thanks

MarcoSkoll

The first thing to say is that by typical "Conclave power levels", the Inquisitor's WS & I could stand to lose 5-10 points. I'd probably also knock back the Interrogator's stats here and there. His S&T are fine, but the rest of his stats together are a little generous - he is after all an Interrogator, and thus still learning.

Of course, this depends on the rest of the warband - if these two were alone, those levels would be acceptable.

~~~~~

Skills-wise: Ah... The old NoS & FoW combination. I prefer to avoid using these (particularly in tandem) over a high Nv value except in exceptional circumstances.
And these reasons need explaining (for example, the regenerating mutant in my collection who has come back from the dead multiple times has NoS - it's not comfortable being shot, but it's not permanently fatal like it is for some people).

Also, bear in mind that there are other Nv tests than just Pinning and Fear/Terror, which the NoS & FOW combo won't save you from.

The interrogator's skills are rather focused around agility, but no problem with that.

~~~~~

Equipment: All very fair. In fact, I'd almost be encouraging you to be a bit more generous with it, this is an Inquisitor and his acolyte.

If you want the powerfist, then go for it. I'll always encourage moderation in power and bolt weapons, but don't feel that means you can't have any (although I personally don't).
S.Sgt Silva Birgen: "Good evening, we're here from the Adeptus Defenestratus."
Captain L. Rollin: "Nonsense. Never heard of it."
Birgen: "Pick a window. I'll demonstrate".

GW's =I= articles

Alyster Wick

The background is a little bare bones, but it's a good jumping off point for a character. In depth fluff is great, but there's a lot to be said for developing a character during play and I think what you have for Catullus fits this perfectly.

As far as his acolyte goes, I've always been wary of using Jack-of-all-trades style characters.  Currently he's a good shot and formidable close combat opponent who can dodge bullets and leap over other characters in addition to possessing psychic powers.  Since he's just an Interrogator I'd definitely trim these down.  Personally I think you should dock his Ws and Bs, lose the special abilities, and remove the wyrd psychic power (correct me if I'm wrong, but fluff wise I don't think wyrds generally have more than one ability).  Then I'd give him a special ability along the lines of demagogue or something like that.  If he were a psycher with great oratorical skills he'd be a natural at infiltrating (or even creating) cults for his master. 

Anyway, just my two cents.

Sideros Peltarion

First of all thanks for your input, it is very helpful for me.
Secondly I have adjusted the stats for the two characters taking your advice into account
Inquisitor Marcus Catullus
Equipment: Laspistol with two reloads, power fist, flak armour on all locations but head, photon grenade, two plasma grenades, auspex, knife, digi needle pistol with stun and refractor field.
Special Abilities: Leader
  WS   BS   S      T     I    Wp   Sg    Nv   Ld
  71    63   65   62   79   77    76   85   84

Agitator Lukas Garven
Equipment: Laspistol with two reloads, knife, robes (AV 2 on all locations but head)
Special Abilities: Demagogue, Dodge, Word of Chaos
Psychic Abilities: Hammerhand, Storm of Lightning.
  WS   BS    S     T     I    Wp   Sg   Nv   Ld
  62    61   54   55   67   71   68   73   72

@ Alyster Wick
Yes I know the background is quite bare bones at the moment, but I am still in the process of developing it so just put together some basic ideas from which to create the characters. When I do eventually get to use them, which is still a month or so away, I should have some proper detailed background.
Regarding the Wryd ability, I got rid of the Wyrd element, but I didn't realise that they were supposed to only have one power in the fluff. It doesn't say that in the abilities section of the rulebook.
I did originally think of giving him an ability like demagogue but it isn't in the rulebook and as far as I know I don't have it in any of my pdfs.  If you could point me towards it so I can find out the rules that would be great as it would fit in with his role really well.

I now have the other two characters.  However I am worried that the assassin/vigilante character is a bit cliche, if you think he is I have already been considering replacing him with another character, either a priest or another Guard veteran like an Ork Hunter from Armageddon or something.

Corporal Conn Rechtmar (Finreht Highlander)
Conn is right handed.
Equipment: Mars pattern lasgun with bayonet and six reloads, sword, two frag grenades, flak armour on all locations but head
Special Abilities: Hipshooting
   66   63   55   59   54   58   49   67   62
If you don't know about the Finreht Highlanders this is their lexicanum page http://wh40k.lexicanum.com/wiki/Finreht_Highlanders.  From reading through that I decided that he would have lower BS than WS and a very low SG, but a reasonable T due to the highland nature of their home and their crude understanding of technology.  I gave him hipshooting because he is supposed to be from a light infantry regiment and so should be used to moving and shooting.  The sword is due to the fact he is an NCO and will probably be a bit like a basket hilted broadsword as they are a Scottish themed regiment.

In terms of background Conn came from the 12th Finreht Highlanders whose regiment was involved in the suppression of a Feral Ork uprising in a yet unnamed planet.  Basically this invasion was started after my Inquisitor secretly imported a couple of Orks into the jungle of said planet in order to create an Ork threat to shake the planet out of its peaceful ways and supply a source of elite soldiers like the Armageddon Ork Hunters.  I will explain it more and more eloquently when it comes to writing the fluff up, but that is the basis of it.

Assassin/Vigilante
Equipment: Two knives, four throwing knives, flak armour on chest and abdomen, robes (AV 2) on legs, groin and arms.
Special Abilities: Blademaster, -20% on attempts to detect
   77   52   59   53   68   53   57   66   41
This guy was a vigilante on a currently unnamed hive planet who would butcher his victims and leave them on display in public places skinned, guts out etc. On this planet my Inquisitor had set up a heretical cult led by Lukas who had been kidnapping citizens and sacrificing them to the Chaos gods. This vigilante had caught and killed a several of the cultists himself and when the Inquisitor led the Arbites and PDF into the cult's lair to suppress it the vigilante was found already engaging the cultists.  After the fight Catullus, noticing his evident loyalty to the Emperor's cause and fighting skills took him into his service.  He believes in never compromising the truth and fights fiercly to supress crime cultist activity wherever he finds it.  If he ever finds out it was Catullus who set up the cult on his homeworld he may well find his loyalty to his master severly tested.

For this guy I went for a cross with Guard and Death Cult Assassin stats as I see him as being a former hive ganger or something who turned to vigilantism, hence the more specific Assassin stats and skills like the detection one they get.  I haven't yet given him a name as I am unsure if I should give him a vigilante name a la Batman (and if so I haven't thought of one yet), a real name or both. What do you guys think?
Or do you think I should replace him with a priest or another Guard Veteran?

Also MarcoSkoll what sort of extra equipment do you think I should give them, and come to think of it how many reloads for their weapons?

Molotov

Quote from: Sideros Peltarion on August 11, 2009, 11:05:37 AM
I did originally think of giving him an ability like demagogue but it isn't in the rulebook and as far as I know I don't have it in any of my pdfs.  If you could point me towards it so I can find out the rules that would be great as it would fit in with his role really well.

Nowadays MarcoSkoll's PDF repository is really the best place to go looking. The Demagogue skill can be found in the Chaos Space Marines article, the direct download of which can be found at this link. It's on Page 3 of the PDF.

(Nice to see you on the Conclave, by the way!)
INQ28 Thread | INQ28 Blog
INQ28, done properly, is at least the equal of its big brother - and Mol is one of the expert proponents of "done properly".
- precinctomega

Inquisitor Cade

I like these guy lots. Maybe because where many people plumb for stubbers and autoguns they have got the las weapons that are the more prevalent weapon around. On that subject I'd like to suggest a profile for a mars pattern lasgun to use instead of the one in the rulebook.
Basic . C . Single/Semi(2)/Full(6) . - . 2D6(+3 for double ammo consumption) . 60 . 2 . 25 .
I justify this by pointing out that there must be a reason for the guard to issue lasguns over autoguns, so have made them a more worthy alternative. I suggest range A, single/semi(2) and again the option for +3 damage at double ammo consumption for the las pistols too. Marco Skoll should be adding his take on lasguns to his revised Inquisitor armoury soon, it is well worth a look.

Moving onto the stats, I notice they all have a Ws of 70+. This value indicates that they are all experts, with Marcus being almost a master. I'd reduce garvin's Ws to the low 60's and Rechtmars to the mid 60's. As close combat is clearly his forte' I think high 70's is appropriate for Catullus, and for an assassin it would be too.
Marcus has a high mental stat line, even for an Inquisitor. I'd suggest one or two above 80 and put the other 3 below. Garven's mental stats wouldn't look out of place on an Inquisitor, but nor do they on a higher end acolyte. The other two look about right, though Sg 49 isn't very low, just quite low.

I like the assassin, the knifey assassin has been done before but rarely as a male, and his strong views mean that Marcus will have to be careful around him.

My other thought was that you should look at the acolytes article. Garvin seems to be other than an interrogator, more of an agitator. Marco Skoll might have it, look at the Inquisitor PDFs topic.

In terms of other kit and reloads, it might be an idea to exchange Marcus' frag grenades for something more exotic, photon flash or plasma grenades for example, and leave the more common grenades to the guardsman.
I'd be tempted to lose Rechtmar's pistol. The regiment might save recourses by not issuing sidearm's, and pistol and sword is traditionally a sergeants kit.
I'd give Garvin a chainsword. They are common enough to not be conspicuous and would balance the Ws decrease I suggested.
A digi needle pistol might suit Marcus; surreptitious assassinations can cause all sorts of strife to strengthen the survivors.
Does the assassin have a moral objection to guns? He might not be as good with them as knives but there are cliché's about bringing a knife to a gunfight. A small sidearm would rectify that, or he could go the practical route and have a sniper rifle for targets he can't reach with a knife.
Garvin could have a force knife instead of a regular one. It is hide able and gives him a powerful combat weapon that could surprise an enemy, plus it would suit him as a psyker to have at least one piece of psykers kit.
The guardsman would carry plenty of ammo, at least 4 reloads I'd say, ideally 6. the other two might have 1 or 2.
*Insert token witticism*

MarcoSkoll

Quote from: Sideros Peltarion on August 11, 2009, 11:05:37 AMRegarding the Wryd ability, I got rid of the Wyrd element, but I didn't realise that they were supposed to only have one power in the fluff. It doesn't say that in the abilities section of the rulebook.
The Inquisitor rulebook is a bit bare in some places regarding the fluff. Part of the reason it's enforced is to make people think between "One reliable power" and "Multiple, less reliable powers".

There are two skills called  Demagogue - one has already been linked to, but there's another in Dark Magenta's "Recongregator Sourcebook" - although the site is down, I'm currently doing a mirror of the download here: http://www.mediafire.com/?sharekey=83a80659003936941686155677bb26851afbe9580c1eeeff

You might want to check out the download links in my signature as well to update your PDF collection, because it's (as far as I know), the most complete collection of GW's old Inq PDFs currently available.

QuoteOn this planet my Inquisitor had set up a heretical cult led by Lukas who had been kidnapping citizens and sacrificing them to the Chaos gods.
Why? Istvaanism is about strengthening the Imperium through trial and strife, not just causing a mess for the sake of it. You'll need to explain how exactly the Inquisitor thought that would serve the Imperium.
Secretly sponsoring a cult is a possibility, starting one is unlikely.

The other two characters seem reasonable. Don't be too worried about slightly cliché ideas - no character on this conclave could claim to be completely unique and original.
There's nothing wrong with a former vigilante, particularly in the less common male variety.

QuoteAlso MarcoSkoll what sort of extra equipment do you think I should give them, and come to think of it how many reloads for their weapons?
I tend to work on the principle of carrying at least two reloads for a main weapon, unless the magazines would be particularly bulky and heavy.

In terms of what I meant, their equipment seems understated. It's all lasweapons and flak armour.
Although viable (and justifiable too, because it would make acquiring ammunition and replacements easier), I would expect more.
Don't feel you have to not have modest equipment (indeed, it's not inappropriate for the Interrogator) but don't feel that you have to either.

GW's =I= articles

Sideros Peltarion

Thanks for the new responses.  I have gone trhough and made the suggested stat changes and added a bit of kit.  However I left Garven with just the knife rather than a chainsword because I envision him as going to the slums and twist districts a lot of the time where a laspistol and a knife really would be about as good as it gets. In Xenos I think it is Eisenhorn ends up using a flintlock pistol so I think I would like to keep his kit as is. Besides it means he can use his hammerhand ability.

I added the demagogue and word of chaos ability to Garven as suggested by a couple of peeps, and thanks for pointing out its location Molotov (Good to speak to you too, told you I would be on here ;))

Inquisitor Cade, I took away Conn's laspistol but he kept his sword as he is supposed to be an NCO and also in the employ of an Inquisitor so should have some kind of decent mele weapon.  My vigilante hasn't got any guns because I like the idea of him having just knives, because they are silent.  When I write him up properly I am going to say how he likes to make the people he kills feel their death and know why he is doing it. If he shoots you even with a pistol it doesn't really have the same effect.  Remember he was a vigilante, not a normal assassin.  He likes to punish people.

MarcoSkoll, with regards to him setting up the cult, I should have mentioned it earlier but one of the aspects of Catullus' work and beliefs is the Imperators Maximus section of Istvaanianism.  In it they set up/expand existing cults then either lead suppression forces or inform others so they can do it. The sourcebook talks about crusades launched to combat these cults which give a show of Imperial strength etc.  I have been intending to go through your pdf files to find the ones I don't have but because of work etc I havn't yet been able to but will do soon no doubt.  To make up for the understated armour and equipment, would a refractor field for my Inquisitor be possible? He is a former Guard officer himself after all and the old IG Codex talks baout refractor fields as if they are fairly common for Cadian officers IIRC

MarcoSkoll

Quote from: Sideros Peltarion on August 11, 2009, 02:32:12 PMI have been intending to go through your pdf files to find the ones I don't have but because of work etc I havn't yet been able to but will do soon no doubt.
Well, unless your internet connection is particularly limited, just download the 50 MB bulk pack - then you'll have all of it, and you can sort it out from there, with only the trouble of one download.

To tell you the truth, very little activity these days is on the individual files. I still have them up, because it's no problem for me to do so, but not many people root through them. I occasionally see an odd link to a very specific file, but the serious activity is on the big and easy ZIP download.

Anyway, I can't see that a refractor field is unreasonable, particularly given his modest armour.

GW's =I= articles

Sideros Peltarion

I will do that then.
And woo hoo on the refractor field! lol I will add it to the post with all four characters

Alyster Wick

Looking good Sideros.  And I wasn't trying to knock the minimalist background early, but if there's more to come then I'll look forward to it.

As for the wyrd thing, I generally looked wyrds as the idiot savants of pyscherdom.  They have one thing they can do amazingly well and control absolutely almost without explanation, but their capacity to learn and perfect new powers is simply beyond reach.  I'm not sure if cannon back me up here (though I recall reading something to that effect), but I could be wrong.  Anyway, that's the interpretation I prefer to use, but feel free to break away from that if you want. 

Kaled

and come to think of it how many reloads for their weapons?
In game terms, reloads are often unneccessary as most of the time there aren't enough shots fired in a game to necessitate reloading a gun (unless it's something like a revolver that has few shots, or something that's fired on full-auto mode).  So, when it comes to things like this, I tend to look at two things.  Firstly, is the character likely to be carrying loads of spare ammo?  And secondly I look at the model - I figure that most characters could stuff a spare magazine in their belt, but if I wanted a character with half a dozen reloads then I'd check that he had pockets/backpack/pouches etc capable of storing that many.
I like to remember things my own way... Not necessarily the way they happened.

Inquisitor - Blood Bowl - Malifaux - Fairy Meat

Sideros Peltarion

Quote from: Alyster Wick on August 11, 2009, 05:30:28 PM
Looking good Sideros.  And I wasn't trying to knock the minimalist background early, but if there's more to come then I'll look forward to it.

As for the wyrd thing, I generally looked wyrds as the idiot savants of pyscherdom.  They have one thing they can do amazingly well and control absolutely almost without explanation, but their capacity to learn and perfect new powers is simply beyond reach.  I'm not sure if cannon back me up here (though I recall reading something to that effect), but I could be wrong.  Anyway, that's the interpretation I prefer to use, but feel free to break away from that if you want. 
Yeah there is plenty to come, I just need to sit down and get writing.  I have explained a few ideas, but will be expanding them over the coming weeks.
If you explain it like that it makes perfect sense. If you could do one thing perfectly every time you might not bother trying to learn other powers even if you could.

Quote from: Kaled on August 11, 2009, 05:45:43 PM
and come to think of it how many reloads for their weapons?
In game terms, reloads are often unneccessary as most of the time there aren't enough shots fired in a game to necessitate reloading a gun (unless it's something like a revolver that has few shots, or something that's fired on full-auto mode).  So, when it comes to things like this, I tend to look at two things.  Firstly, is the character likely to be carrying loads of spare ammo?  And secondly I look at the model - I figure that most characters could stuff a spare magazine in their belt, but if I wanted a character with half a dozen reloads then I'd check that he had pockets/backpack/pouches etc capable of storing that many.
I thought as much with regards to firing in games, especially as I only have single shot weapons weapons and I don't think Conn will be shooting his lasgun 50+ times in a game, but was thinking more campaign wise.  A practical approach like yours would work.

Kaled

Quote from: Sideros Peltarion on August 11, 2009, 06:09:57 PM
I thought as much with regards to firing in games, especially as I only have single shot weapons weapons and I don't think Conn will be shooting his lasgun 50+ times in a game, but was thinking more campaign wise.  A practical approach like yours would work.
Campaign-wise I'd say that, while sometimes the characters will be cut-off from supplies and will only have what they carry with them, generally the characters have somewhere to stash the rest of their stuff between games and so will be able to replenish their ammo between games.
I like to remember things my own way... Not necessarily the way they happened.

Inquisitor - Blood Bowl - Malifaux - Fairy Meat

MarcoSkoll

Quote from: KaledFirstly, is the character likely to be carrying loads of spare ammo?
For a lot of characters, I can see that they would be.

If you're an Inquisitor or associated with one, you can expect the possibility of quite serious trouble on a fairly frequent basis, and you'd have to be prepared for that at any and all times. You simply wouldn't survive long if you weren't ready for that kind of thing.

GW's =I= articles