Main Menu

News:

If you are having problems registering, please e-mail theconclaveforum at gmail.com

Rogue Explicator Somel

Started by The Nimbus, May 03, 2010, 04:17:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Nimbus

Some of you might have a small recollection of this character, since I've posted an earlier iteration of him on the Conclave before. But due to the fact that I've ordered some parts needed to make the actual model I thought his background, rules and equipment needed a polish. Plus I wanted him to be active within the Carthax sector. So without further ado, I present what I think is the final version of Archibald Somel:

---

+++ Receiving wide broadcast... +++
+++ Source: Hammer of Dawn +++
+++ Message to members of the Carthaxian Conclave +++
+++ Author: Inquisitor Himor Tormaz, Ordo Malleus +++
+++ Subject: Explicator Archibald Somel +++
+++ Encryption 546 +++
+++ Key: ******** +++
+++ Access GRANTED +++

Esteemed colleagues,

As I write this I am in transit to the Carthax sector aboard the Imperial frigate Hammer of Dawn, and I shall announce my presence to the Conclave at arrival. In the meantime there is something that must be discussed. I fear that madness has descended onto one of my former pupils, and that he no longer can be trusted. His name is Archibald Somel, and he currently travels with a seal granting him the full use of my authority. This seal is to be considered null and void from here on end by any who come in contact with my former Explicator, and Somel himself is to be apprehended and interrogated at first chance. Do not be fooled by anything he says and be sure to relay this information to any and all of your associates.

Archibald Somel has served me well during the past twenty years, and I confess that I am surprised by this recent cause of events. The reason of his sudden change is still mostly unknown, but it is certain that it happened sometime after a mission on the moon of Tyll. I sent Explicator Somel there together with a daemonhuntress named Lar Fiox, with whom Somel had nourished a special bond over the last decade, to interrupt a heretical ritual being preformed by the Cult of the Red Eye. For two months I received no communications from neither Somel nor Fiox and was forced to investigate. Arriving at the site of the ritual I found nothing more than dead bodies and blood arranged in the most horrific ways. Although some of the bodies were disfigured beyond belief my aid from the Adeptus Mechanicus was able to ascertain that neither of my subordinates where among the dead.

The next time I heard of my lost Explicator was one and a half years ago, and it was ill news indeed. Somel's presence had been confirmed at the intrusion of the Library of Lost Souls, an event that sparked the mutant uprising on West's Fall. It is assumed that Somel managed to abscond with tomes containing potentially destructive information. I have cause to believe that my former Explicator is researching the summoning of daemons, although his reasons for doing so remain unknown. His arrival to the Carthax sector has furthered my suspicions, as I believe he is acting like a man on the search for something in particular.

Explicator Somel is a potent psyker and is to be approached with caution. Before his assignment to my retinue he served as an Imperial Guard medic at Kasr Holm, and his mastery of healing is remarkable. When confronted with Somel, make sure he does not use his regenerative powers to trick you into thinking he is worse for wear than he really is. Recent reports also suggest that his power over the human body has increased after the Tyll incident, with him being able to manipulate flesh in more sinister ways. The last of my agents whom I sent after Somel was found dead with gun in hand, his skull cracked open by a swollen and bloody brain.

The last sighting of Somel places him on Torgamnen II, in the galactic north of the sector. An intact surveillance camera at the Night Lance crash site recorded him climbing out of the wreckage, accompanied by an unidentified woman and a canine creature. First recognisance team at the site were assaulted by the dead members of the crew, given animation by some malevolent force. Somel is assumed to be hiding within the swamps of Summark and all interstellar departure traffic from Torgamnen is being monitored. I urge anyone receiving this message to dispatch resources to Summark to locate Somel, before he escapes the grasp of the Inquisition yet again.

Praised be the Emperor,
Inquisitor Tormaz

+++ End of message +++
+++ Terminating session... +++

EXPLICATOR ARCHIBALD SOMEL

Somel is right-handed.

Equipment: Crude bionic eye and lungs; Flak armour on all locations except head; Frag grenade; Inhaler with de-tox; Knife; Laspistol; Liber Abjura; Mars pattern lasgun with reload and telescopic sight; Medi-pak; Smoke grenade; Sword

Special abilities: Medic

Psychic powers: Blood boil, Regenerate

WS BS S  T  I  Wp Sg Nv Ld
Somel 53 69 51 54 61 79 61 73 86

Liber Abjura

The origins of the ancient tome known as the Liber Abjura are clouded in darkness. Written in a hundred different languages, some alien and some forgotten, few scholars would be able to even understand half of the secrets hidden within the tome. Rumor has it that the Liber Abjura was created by an Eldar desperately searching for ways to free his spirit from a malicious daemon. Since then the tome has had many masters, all of who has added to the knowledge contained within. Anyone reading the tome becomes entranced by the forbidden texts, feeling the immeasurable power of the Warp burst into their mind. While the reader loses himself in the dark promises of power anyone listening will be assaulted by a terrible cacophony of sounds. Hearing someone read the verses of the Liber Abjura is to have your worst nightmares turned into a horrifying lullaby.

A character may choose to spend an entire turn reading in the Liber Abjura, to do so he or she must have the tome in hand, be able to speak and not be engaged in close combat. Reading in the book is a Risky Action, so roll for actions as normal. If more 1's than 6's are rolled the character immediately suffers 2D10 psychic feedback and is stunned for the rest of the turn. If the Risky Action roll is passed the character may take a Sagacity test for each successful action. Anyone reading the Liber Abjura counts as having Nerves of Steel and Fearsome until the start of his or her next turn. In addition the reader must attempt to use a psychic ability this turn, chosen from either the Daemonology, Theosophamy or Undivided Chaos discipline. Every Sagacity test passed earlier counts as an action concentrating. Before his or her next turn the reader must pass a Willpower test or continue to read the Liber Abjura. For every preceding turn spent reading there is a 10% negative modifier for this test. If the reader is ever muted, stunned or engaged in close combat he or she will immediately stop reading.

KETOS (Somel's dog)

Ketos does not have hands, just paws.

Equipment: None. Ketos makes improvised attacks in close combat.

Special abilities: Athlete, Bestial face, Catfall, Enhanced senses

WS BS S  T  I  Wp Sg Nv Ld
Ketos 46 -  69 58 72 -  12 90 -

Explicator Somel may spend an action to issue a command to Ketos. The possible commands are:

Attack: Ketos will try to engage in close combat as soon as possible with a character nominated by Somel.

Heel: The existing command is countermanded and Ketos will return to within two (2) yards of Somel and stay this close if possible. While at his side Somel will be aware of anything Ketos is.

Stay: Ketos will not move from where he is except to charge any enemy character within ten (10) yards.

Ketos has two (2) points of armour and the following damage results:

Light: No effect.

Heavy: Immediate – Ketos is stunned for D3 turns. Persistent – Ketos adds D3 to his injury total.

Serious: Immediate – As Heavy. Persistent – As Heavy. Ketos is bleeding.

Acute: Immediate – Ketos is stunned for D6 turns. Persistent – As Serious. Ketos suffers -1 Speed.

Crippled: Ketos is out of action.

---

All C&C are welcome! Although what I'm mostly interested is to hear what people think of the Liber Abjura (is it overpowered, underpowered, overly complicated or just plain useless?).

EDIT: Spelling and formatting.

Brother_Brimstone

It's clear that you have put a lot of thought into the character concept and I like it. It would be nice to hear more about Somel himself, but he's obviously intended to be a mysterious figure, so the fact that he makes me feel like I want to know more is a good thing!

I like the concept of the book - an interesting item with some interesting possibilities. I especially like the idea that you must take a WP test or keep reading - very suitable for such a tome of forbidden lore

Rules wise, i'm not sure why the dog has 2 armour on all locations. Dogs don't tend to have 'natural armour' and i can't see a dog's fur providing armour 2.

Other than that, the stats look very reasonable to me. (although i am far from being the most qualified person to judge)

EDIT: Re-reading the book's rules, i have one minor question. Is the psychic power made using WP or Sg? I would assume that as a psychic power it would be WP, but because the concentration actions are Sg based, and the power is being cast through understanding of the book, it could easily be said to be Sg based.

The Nimbus

Thanks  for the comments Brimstone!

Quote from: Brother_Brimstone
It would be nice to hear more about Somel himself, but he's obviously intended to be a mysterious figure, so the fact that he makes me feel like I want to know more is a good thing!

He did have a much more fleshed out background in his previous iteration, but I decided to scrap it to add that mysterious flare to him. Plus this way it's much easier to evolve the character through a series of games rather than have him all fleshed out to begin with.

Quote from: Brother_BrimstoneRules wise, i'm not sure why the dog has 2 armour on all locations. Dogs don't tend to have 'natural armour' and i can't see a dog's fur providing armour 2.

One problem that arises with the new flavour text is that it doesn't really come across that Somel and Ketos have been tainted by Chaos. The dog has mutated somewhat and the armour along with his stats are supposed to represent that. 2 points of armour might still be a little much and I might tone it down to 1 or 0.

Quote from: Brother_BrimstoneIs the psychic power made using WP or Sg? I would assume that as a psychic power it would be WP, but because the concentration actions are Sg based, and the power is being cast through understanding of the book, it could easily be said to be Sg based.

The psychic power is cast using Wp. The way I envision it the reader can understand or pronounce the verses of the book correctly (Sg) but he still needs to channel the power of the Warp through his mind in the end (Wp).

Kaled

Quote from: The Nimbus on May 03, 2010, 04:17:17 PM
Explicator Somel may spend an action to issue a command to Ketos. The possible commands are:
Perhaps a chaotically mutated dog should need to make a Ld test when given a command, and if he fails he should be frenzied...

Also, why not simply use the damage charts for a cyber-mastiff?
I like to remember things my own way... Not necessarily the way they happened.

Inquisitor - Blood Bowl - Malifaux - Fairy Meat

The Nimbus

Quote from: KaledPerhaps a chaotically mutated dog should need to make a Ld test when given a command, and if he fails he should be frenzied...

Also, why not simply use the damage charts for a cyber-mastiff?

I really like the idea for the Leadership test for Ketos, and I believe I will implement that, as well as giving him a full stat line.

The reason that I decided not to go with the same damage chart as for the cyber-mastiff was that I wanted a damage chart that represented a living flesh and blood creature and not a machine. At the same time I felt like adding the Acute level to make sure Ketos could take one more big hit before going out of action. I'm not sure what I came up with is good or bad though, so feel free to critique.