Main Menu

News:

If you are having problems registering, please e-mail theconclaveforum at gmail.com

Complementary Colors

Started by Alyster Wick, May 18, 2010, 03:19:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alyster Wick

Happened across something the other day discussing complementary colors in painting.  Needless to say I was intrigued.

Question 1: What are the complementary colors for red and green (I found one source saying they were each other)?

Question 2: Provided they are complementary, could I potentially get a good effect by basing something in dark green and highlighting it up with a bright red, then giving it a dry brush of white?

Question 3: If trying to get a good deep red to start off with, would beginning with a 75/25 red to dark green be a good base for a red area, then highlighting up with increasing amounts of red?

Let me know if these are sound assumptions or if I just need to test it out and see what happens.  At least everyone can know that I'm trying new things!

phil-o-mat

1. they are complementary.

2. i`d say no, tried it myself long ago, the red looked more like brown. but give it a try!
what i do sometimes is painting the outside of a robe or something in red and the inside in green, or vice versa. that works pretty good.

3. dunno `bout that. try it?

hope this will help.

kierkegaard

I just saw an article on the GW website in which a guy's work is analysed and explained. It claims that he painted a cloak in red, and washed the recesses with Thraka green to shade it.

Saussure

If you have a look at this link, Alyster, you'll see a representation of the colour wheel. This shows the three sets of complementary colours - red/green, blue/orange, and yellow/purple. Complementary colours make each other appear more intense when they're placed next to one another

You can use complementary colouring to give you some impressive effects when shading, thanks to this "intensity boosting" - try using green to shade red (or vice versa), or putting a little bit of purple into the recesses of an area painted yellow (a colour close to my heart!).

Just like any aspect of your painting, the use of "colour theory" isn't going to magically improve your painting - all of the basics still need to be good - but understanding a bit of how colours work next to one another will hopefully make your experiments with paint a bit more informed.

Good luck - let us know how you get on.

Herodotus Benedict Saussure
Ordo Hereticus Terran
Forum Moderator

MarcoSkoll

S.Sgt Silva Birgen: "Good evening, we're here from the Adeptus Defenestratus."
Captain L. Rollin: "Nonsense. Never heard of it."
Birgen: "Pick a window. I'll demonstrate".

GW's =I= articles

Saussure

Herodotus Benedict Saussure
Ordo Hereticus Terran
Forum Moderator

precinctomega

@Wick -

1. Red and green are contrasting colours.  Specific shades of red and green will be complementary, but if you pick the wrong shade, they will clash rather than complement.

2. No.

3. Hell, no.

Mixing red and green in any shade of pigment delivers a colour usually described as "grey-brown sludge".  It is a horrible colour and should be avoided at almost all costs (having said that, I did use it today - but that was to represent foul, rotting bodily fluids, which is pretty much the only use to which it should be put, ever).

If you want a good base for a strong, rich red, start with Mechrite Red and build up to Scab Red.  For a dusty red, highlight with Scab Red mixed with Bleached Bone.  For a bloody read, highlight with Scab Red mixed with Blood Red (duh!).  For a bright crimson, highlight with Scab Red mixed with Blazing Orange.

R.

Alyster Wick

Thanks for the knowledgeable replies.  I may give it a try using some ink washes and see how things turn out.  PO's authoritative "I did use it today - but that was to represent foul, rotting bodily fluids, which is pretty much the only use to which it should be put, ever" has dissuaded me from trying out the highlighting idea for this model, but I do have one which may need some foul rotting bodily fluids soon...

QuoteJust like any aspect of your painting, the use of "colour theory" isn't going to magically improve your painting - all of the basics still need to be good

I think my basics have improved with my increased time and patience.  My main ineptitude at the moment seems to be an inability to make things pop.  I'm fairly happy with most of my models (admittedly some are far better than others) but universally I'd say that my schemes tend to be boring, so hopefully this will give me a better jumping off point.

That said, if anyone has suggestions on picking color schemes or techniques to make certain colors pop then by all means, share!