Main Menu

News:

If you are having problems registering, please e-mail theconclaveforum at gmail.com

Smiting the infidel...

Started by Holiad, June 12, 2010, 02:52:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Holiad

With thunderbolts! Well, it's not a proper smiting without thunderbolts. Posting my latest models for comment-first up, Brother Hospitaller RJ, seen in half-painted form at the spring conclave. Having felt for some time that the growing ranks of my religious crusade merited some form of authority figure, I used inquisitor covenant as a base, and since no ordinary human could possibly wield that sword, borrowed the left arm off inquisitor Tyrus, which turned out to be a pretty good match for it.

The light-coloured robes proved a little ambitious, but I'm pleased with the effect of blue-washed silver.

With the rest of inquisitor Tyrus spare, and a recently replenished supply of tyranid parts, I indulged my inner mad scientist with an attempt at a second 'possessed suit of armour' themed daemonhost, and here is the result, as yet unpainted-

OK, I admit, I may have overdone it just a little bit, but I always felt the mostly human appearance of many daemonhosts was somewhat lacking-they are, after all, daemons.

Finally, my most recent model, an unusually short, heavily bearded mercenary. At least, that's the story I'm sticking to ;).

Short, but fierce. No idea how it fits into any of my existing warbands, but the Grandar Firebeard model from Andrea Miniatures proved too great a lure. Minimal conversion here, other than supplementing it's original armament of axes with the combi-bolters off the chaos vehicle sprue and a laspistol from one of the scandalously discontinued inquisitor weapons packs.  
Poor noble Marech
Noone 'till the end could see
Your brave heart of fire

Shannow

That possessed suit is utterly terrifying! Fantastic job and can't wait to see it painted and noshing on acolytes :D
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tanhauser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain.

Time to die.

Brother_Brimstone

Squats! You can't fool me! I see them! I see them! .... Excuse me, I rather like squats, I tend to get a bit... overexcitable about them...

Still, some very nice models here. I can sympathise with the white robe thing, I tried to paint a character in white armour and came rather unstuck. I've recently had to strip him of paint so i can paint him in darker, easier colours. Still, i think you've made a good job of it and it makes for a striking model.

I really love the daemonhost. It's very 'out there' in a good way. It looks very Chaotic! look forward to see him painted - don't shy away from the more garish colours!

kierkegaard

Interesting gun on the Covenant conversion (I like the idea, but the wires and hose don't connect to anything, so they seem out of place.) I really like the blue washed silver effect on the arm (is that literally just Mithril Silver washed with Asurmen Blue?) You might want to have a go at smoothing out the colour blend on the robes by mixing up a colour mid way between the light and dark tones, and dry brushing it over the areas where they meet.

I love the idea of a possesed suit of armour, but Tyranid parts always just look too tyranid-y.

The (not a) Squat looks great.

Holiad

Actually, I think I just washed a couple of layers of Asurmen blue straight on to the base metal on the arm, which works quite well with the current washes, but mithril silver or chainmail would give a very similar effect-the only detail work is some shining gold on the raised edges. The gun I admit should have more of a handle, and is largely a case of not having a suitable component-it doesn't have on because it's made from the shoulder-mounted psycannon plus inquisitor Tyrus's bolt pistol, and I've yet to think of a good way of making it handheld instead.

Poor noble Marech
Your brave heart of fire

GhouraAgur

I love the deamonhost; I don't think you overdid it at all!  Excess is the way of Chaos!  ' can't wait to see it painted!

Holiad

Painted the daemonhost's claws-

In line with my personal preferences, going with dark and menacing over garish, and I already knew Calthan brown washed down well.
Also, having decided the warband should have a less psychotically violent member tagging along, I'd like to introduce his new associate, the beautiful princess Ghos, wise and benevolent ruler of the planet T'lea. Just don't mention the visier-

Nominated by my brother as the scariest of my three daemonhosts, and with enough heads to make up for the other two.  Personally I'm pleased to have finally find a use for the daemon huntress legs, despite the pose, and at the overall effect of the grey colour scheme. For those interested, the heads are off the chaos vehicle sprue, they are attached via the stalks of old spore mine models, and the imp came with my chaos terminator lord.
Poor noble Marech
Your brave heart of fire

Shannow

I am really loving your modelling, not the usual stuff at all! Not that the usual stuff isn'y good but it is nice to see some truly weird and utterly bizarre creations (as well as the fantastic non-squat squat of course!)

I like your understated but lovely paint jobs as well, and agree on the dark/menacing over garish front. My worry is to try and not make it monotonous when I pain mine!

Loving the update anyway and look forward to more

Rob
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tanhauser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain.

Time to die.

Flinty

Excellent - a good application of a disturbed imagination, carry on that man!
Neanderthal and Proud!

kierkegaard

Beautiful princess? Everyone else is seeing a cyborg with three lizard heads sprouting out of its neck, right?

Shannow

Time to die.