Main Menu

News:

If you are having problems registering, please e-mail theconclaveforum at gmail.com

Kaled's Terrain Blog

Started by Kaled, May 22, 2010, 12:01:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Necris

What materials have you used to make the buildings dave, they look super and have given me the kick in the behind to actually start making stuff instead of just gathering a small collection of rubbish.
This here is my very favourite gun...I call her rita.

The Order of the Iron Rose - Necris' Inq28 Plog

Kaled

They're mainly foam core card and various thicknesses of cardboard, plus I bought some lengths of wood to make the columns. Since doing the first one I've found I have a copy of WD261 (I think that's the right number, the one that has a tutorial on making this sort of buildings), so between that and what I learned doing this one, the next will be a lot better - which is good as it's also a lot more complex, with another floor and a lot more walkways. I've just cut out the walls and masked the edges - I'll post pics either tonight or tomorrow night.
I like to remember things my own way... Not necessarily the way they happened.

Inquisitor - Blood Bowl - Malifaux - Fairy Meat

Kaled

Update time...

As you can see, I've cut out the walls for the next warehouse.  Since taking this picture, I've also finished the window frames and the next job is to cut out the walkways & roof then I can start adding the mesh etc to those while I assemble the walls.  Doing the window frames is a long, dull, time-consuming task - hopefully things will start to move a bit quicker now they're done.

In other news, I ordered some Britain's palettes and bales - hopefully they'll arrive soon, so when they do I'll post pics of them next to one of my models.  Looking at the pictures, they'll probably have some pretty horrid mould lines, but I think they'll look good once repainted and with some labels attached.  Which reminds me - the propaganda posters I got from PO have been great for adding detail - does anyone know of any similar things I can download?

Finally, to those people who I owe e-mails - I can only apologise, I've managed to amass a bit of a backlog of correspondence.  I will get through them asap, but in the meantime, sorry for the delay.

Myriad

I don't think the last one needs a whole lot of improving, but if you want to do better I guess I shouldn't argue.  The sliding doors are a nice touch.
I had better point out, that some of the clubs I represent are of a military bent.

You know what you are?  A plywood shark!

Kaled

I've just unpacked the bales and pallets and they look pretty good.  The pallets are especially good and should add some nice detail to the warehouse.  As expected, the bales have rather ugly mould lines but they're easily fixable.  More annoyingly, they're very light and if stacked are likely to get knocked over during a game - what I'll probably do is glue most of them in stacks to make them a bit more substantial, then just leave one or two loose.

Below you can see some of the bits and pieces I've got to stock the warehouse alongside an Inquisitor model;

precinctomega

I notice that the bales are very thin plastic with their injection point clearly visible.  You could consider filling them with something to weigh them down - plaster, for example, or even water if you then seal them up.

R.

Kaled

I have considered that, but I could't figure out what to fill them with. I'd be too afraid water would leak while they were in storage - I could try plaster...

Kaled

Just a quick update while I wait for some of the glue to dry...

I've also cut out the pieces for the floors and done a few other minor bits and bobs but thought I'd share a pic of how it's looking at the moment.  (Wish I knew where I was going to store it once it's completed - it suddenly looks HUGE!)

RobSkib

:o

Amazing!

You've inspired me to get my own terrain projects out and give them a second bash. I'm seriously impressed with this so far, I'll have to give that website a look at, those props are pretty darn cool. I'm looking forward to seeing it painted, especially knowing it won't have to be me who paints it ;)
An Inquisitor walks into a bar - he rolls D100 to see if he hits it.
                                     +++++++
Gallery of my Inquisitor models here.

Kaled

Just thought I'd share a pic of the first dry fit of the floors...

Brother_Brimstone

Absolutely brilliant! Really well constructed and could make for some really interesting gameplay. I don't have much to contribute in the way of constructive criticism etc... but thought that I might as well say how well i think it's turning out. It will really add to the board, and combined with the smaller bits and peices of terrain you can just scatter around, the board will be really characterful and interesting.

RobSkib

Are those hay bales glued in place or just for support while it dries?
An Inquisitor walks into a bar - he rolls D100 to see if he hits it.
                                     +++++++
Gallery of my Inquisitor models here.

Kaled

Just temporary support while I tested the fit - it'll have columns made from wood like the first one when it's finished.

Aidan

Wow, these buildings are really coming along brilliantly. That texture paint definitely improves the surfaces, and looks easier than the brush-on stuff I use.

Are there going to be stairs or ladders anywhere, or are these just assumed to be 'off stage' (I presume that the buildings will be set up with their open walls along the table edge).

Not exactly sure what all those hay-bales will be doing in a warehouse, unless its on an agri-world, but I suppose its better to have something there. Personally, I'd fill warehouses with crates or packaging containers, if I could find some way to make them.

---

Anyhow, looking forward to seeing more of these. I've got to get back to that sewer outlet project of mine...

-Aidan.

Kaled

Just a quick update - I've added texture to the two floors.

The next job is the two balconies - either that, or the supports for the floors...