Main Menu

News:

If you are having problems registering, please e-mail theconclaveforum at gmail.com

Kaled's Terrain Blog

Started by Kaled, May 22, 2010, 12:01:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kaled

Now with balconies;

Next up is either the roof or the supports for the floors, or maybe I'll finish detailing the exterior...
I like to remember things my own way... Not necessarily the way they happened.

Inquisitor - Blood Bowl - Malifaux - Fairy Meat

Brother_Brimstone

I've said it before and i'll say it again; stunning work, can't wait to play on it!

greenstuff_gav

Quote from: Kaled on June 04, 2010, 01:33:18 PM
Next up is either the roof or the supports for the floors, or maybe I'll finish detailing the exterior...

floor supports  ;D

looking great Kaled!  i may have to go foamcore shopping  ;D
i make no apologies, i warned you my ability to roll ones was infectious...

Build Your Imagination

Kaled

I've managed to get a whole load done this afternoon - the roof is now attached and has railings and the rest of the exterior detail is done.  I've also cut out all of the supports for the floor.  Tomorrow, if the weather holds, I plan to mask the bits I don't want covering in the Stonetouch stuff and I'll spray the exterior.  Once that's done I can undercoat the whole thing and then I'll start assembling the floors...

kierkegaard

It is really coming together nicely Dave. I particularly like the door lights (and is that an entry keypad or something similar I see under the lamps?)

Given the shear size of it, it almost defeats the point of having a fold-away game board, doesn't it? ;)

Ynek

Looking very impressive, Kaled!

One small question, though... Where did you get that metal mesh? I can never find that stuff anywhere without forking out an insane amount of money for it. B+Q wanted something like £40 for an A4 sized sheet...
"Somehow, Inquisitor, when you say 'with all due respect,' I don't think that you mean any respect at all."

"I disagree, governor. I think I am giving you all of the respect that you are due..."

O_o

Yenk  try  rabbit  hutch  wire the  wires are  welded and  it  comes with  1 " squares holes (  cut  down  to  size for  a  railing

Adlan

Quote from: Ynek on June 05, 2010, 01:56:20 AM
Looking very impressive, Kaled!

One small question, though... Where did you get that metal mesh? I can never find that stuff anywhere without forking out an insane amount of money for it. B+Q wanted something like £40 for an A4 sized sheet...

I found some quite cheap in the section for DIY car mods, Aluminium mesh used to repair bodywork.

Heroka Vendile

find an art supplies store, you should be able to find large metal mesh sheets there, it's where I got mine and it's about an A3 sheets worth folded up into an A6 package (looks like a very small version of chicken wire, but there are other styles available). Maroon card packaging I believe.
It's all fun and games until someone shoots their own guy with a Graviton gun instead of the MASSIVE SPIDER.
The Order of Krubal
Rewards Of The Enemy

Kaled

Quote from: kierkegaard on June 04, 2010, 06:59:18 PM
It is really coming together nicely Dave. I particularly like the door lights (and is that an entry keypad or something similar I see under the lamps?)
It's supposed to be a keypad - what it actually is I don't know.  I think one was from the Bastion kit, not sure about the other thing.

QuoteGiven the shear size of it, it almost defeats the point of having a fold-away game board, doesn't it? ;)
It does rather...  I had considered trying to make it so it could be disassembled, but decided that the foamcore probably wouldn't survive for long if I did that.

As for the mesh - the railings were, as O_o says, the sort of thing rabbit hutches are made of.  I had some left over from a gardening project.  The mesh for the floors is, like Adlan says, the stuff used for car bodies - I got it from Halfords for a pound or two per A4 sheet.

Anyway, here are the buildings after a bit of paint - I'm going to give the smaller one another quick coat to even it up a little...

Next I plan to paint the floors and supports - I figure it'll be easier to do them before I assemble the whole thing.

- Dave

RobSkib

That looks incredible! It's just a bit of paint that's required now ;)

Where did you get the stone spray from?
An Inquisitor walks into a bar - he rolls D100 to see if he hits it.
                                     +++++++
Gallery of my Inquisitor models here.

Kaled

The Stonetouch stuff was from B&Q, but I've also seen it in Hobbycraft - it was about £9 per can, and one can did both buildings with a little bit left over.

precinctomega

Nice one!  I've been pining since GW got rid of their roughcoat spray.

R.

Brother_Brimstone

Quote from: precinctomega on June 06, 2010, 05:38:45 PM
I've been pining since GW got rid of their roughcoat spray.

They've got rid of their 'ardcoat spray too (i only found out last night). I think they want to punish us, but i'm not sure what for.... I posit that a member of the GW team had their house or car graffitti'd and has decided to wage a vendetta on spray paints; they're slowly but surely phasing them out...

Kaled

Sorry there haven't been many updates recently - I guess I should have posted one when I painted the base and drybrushed the walls, but most of my time has been spent painting the walkways and columns and there wasn't really much worth showing until they were assembled.

Next I either need to paint the exterior or add in the ladders and stairs...