Main Menu

News:

If you are having problems registering, please e-mail theconclaveforum at gmail.com

Inquisitor Rangovack, and now, preacher and agitator Pious Philemon.

Started by Inquisitor Cade, August 12, 2009, 01:58:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Inquisitor Cade

Hi everybody. Posting characters seems to be in fasion at the moment. Also I'd like to have profiles for my characters up for when I get back home and can photograph my models and put up a, rather short, retrospective.

Inquisitor Rangovack, Daemon hunter.

Inquisitor Rangovack is a Daemon Hunter. Since his ascension to the rank of Inquisitor 88 years ago he has dedicated his life to tracking down, and destroying daemons, and has proven adept at the task. While most members of the Ordos Mallius commit themselves to an area or crisis and stand there as a bastion against the forces of the warp, Rangovack will cross the stars hunting daemon kind. This modus operandi means that he is largely independent of the rest of his Ordos, which often caused great irritation amongst his peers.
13 years into his crusading, he was awarded a daemon hammer for his efforts, after slaying a keeper of secrets on Klepto IV. With this tool he smote his foe for many years, until the sacred weapon was destroyed during the vanquishing of a particularly powerful daemon prince. Rankovack was severely wounded in the same battle, and so afterward he spent two full years recovering and researching a replacement weapon to combat the warp spawn. It was during this study that he found records of a glaive that had once been wielded by the chapter master of the Relictors chapter of the Adaptus Astarties. It was recorded that this glaive could destroy daemons with even the smallest cut. Once he had recovered he embarked on a quest to find this glaive, but for many years his investigations came up blank. Finally, having gained access to the ancient library of the Relictors, he discovered in private records, to his dismay, that the secret of the glaive was that, bound within it, was another daemon. One who hated its own kind, and unleashed terrible energies upon them.
As a staunch puritan, Rangovack abandoned his quest at once, but over the next years he saw friends and allies killed by daemons and found himself without the power to defeat them. So a decade later, he went back to the library of the Relictors, and began experimenting.
After four years of work, he worked together with the radical Inquisitor Chelm and they succeeded in summoning and binding Mal'ochst, a minor Demonic prince, into a sword. Rangovack then proceeded to produce a charter he had prepared earlier and executed Chelm for heresy. Since that day he has gone on smiting daemons, more effectively than ever before. Many of the creatures of the warp have felt his wrath, and there are few that don't fear his name.

In his mind he is right to use the daemon sword to smite daemons, though he is not a Xanthite. He is working still under the principles of Monodominantism, the superiority of humanity and their survival and empowering at any cost and by any means. He realizes however that other Inquisitors would not understand his righteousness in the matter so keeps the sword hidden at all times, another reason (though he wouldn't admit it to himself) that he killed Chelm so quickly.

Inquisitor Rangovack
WS . BS . S . T . I . WP . SG . NV . LD
83 . 62 . 46. 52.74. 88 . 71 . 81 . 86

Equipment: Daemon sword Mal'ochst (Wp 84) with deamonbane, deflection, magical force and silver hilt*. MIU psycannon**. Precision Stubber with laser sight and reload. Average bionic eye and ear. Carapace of chest and abdomen, flack on all other locations except head. Pentagrammic wards.

Abilities: Heroic. Leader. Word of the Emperor. Fearsome to Demonic characters.

*The silver warded hilt presents a barrier between the weilder and the daemon. If the weilders Wp falls below that of the daemon the wards heat up, inflictind D6+2 damage each turn to the arm holding it (it cannot increase the injury level about a heavy wound. The first time the weilder fails the Wp test then the wards prevent the daemon taking over, but they melt in the process, removing the effects and inflicting a final 3D6 damage.

**Smaller than a full sized psycannon, this weapon has the profile of a bolt pistol that does double damage to psykers and triple damage to daemons. It has 6 shots. and reload (1).

Preacher Pious Philemon.

Philemon was born on the fringe world of Pandora to a very devout working class family, but he proved to be shrewd and intelligent and found employment as a scribe and cogitator operator. Growing up he spent his life in the chapel, listening to sermons and studying the Imperial creed. He became far better versed in the tenants of the god-emperor than those around him and made little secret that, for this reason, he considered himself better and more worthy than his neighbours.
When an anti-imperial government took over the planet Philemon joined the resistance movement. Almost all of the ecclesiarchy  had been assassinated soon after the takeover, so Philemon posed as a preacher for the resistance. He would fire up the fighter with passionate speeches and questionably authentic relics, and would preach in secret to the population at large, causing many of them to find faith in the Emperor that they never knew existed.
When Inquisitor Rangovack arrived, on the trail of a daemon, he was dismayed to find it protected by the entire government. He approached the resistance and requested a distraction. It was Philemon, recognising a man of great power with the Emperors favour who rallied the resistance around them and convinced them of the justice of an all out attack on the Government building.
The resistance was almost entirely wiped out, but Ranovack got his opening, infiltrating the base and slaying the daemon. He saw the benefit of a servant to could talk a population into a holy frenzy, particulary concidering the shackey relations between him and his Ordo, and took Philemon with him when he left.
He sent a message to the local sector headquarters of the Ordo Hereticus, roughly detailing the situation on the planet and recommending an invasion, but the message was lost in transit.

Preacher Pious Philemon

WS . BS . S . T . I . WP . SG . NV . LD
56 . 54 . 56. 42.64. 65 . 62 . 41 . 79
Equipment: Repeater laspistol* with two reloads. Single action revolver with 12 spare shells. Chainsword. Flack armour (under his robes) on all locations except head.

Abilities: Agitator. Word of the Emperor. Gunfighter.

* Pistol . A . Single/semi(2/3)/Full(8 ) . - . 2D6 (+3 for double ammo consumption) . 30 . 2 . 15
*Insert token witticism*

Kaled

Quote from: Inquisitor Cade on August 12, 2009, 01:58:20 PM
Fearsome to Demonic characters.
I think we discussed this on the old 'Clave and you said something to the effect that as daemons are usually Terrifying (or at least Fearsome) themselves, the rule is really there so he is less effected by them being Terrifying/Fearsome.  That being the case, I'd add a note along these lines to his profile to avoid confusing people.
I like to remember things my own way... Not necessarily the way they happened.

Inquisitor - Blood Bowl - Malifaux - Fairy Meat

Adlan

Wouldn't it make more sense then to have a rule saying he's less effected by demons fearsome/terrifying? As if he were fearsome towards them.

Just incase he oneday meets a demon that isn't fearsome or terrifying?

Inquisitor Cade

I'll add that qualification to avoid confusion about how it works in practice.

I believe, however, that fearsome is entirely approapriate. It has been said that the idea of a gribbly denizen of the warp finding a human frightening is absurd, but that is what it means when it says that a fearsome character is not affected by fearsome characters. I think that if there were a daemon who wasn't fearsome then the reputation of Inquisitor Rangovack is going to be more scary than say an arco-flagellant or an Ogryn, both of which also are fearsome to daemons (among other things).
*Insert token witticism*

Inquisitor Cade

*Insert token witticism*

Locke

One small thing that many players seem to forget is that daemon weapons require a WP value. Currently yours has none

Inquisitor Cade

So it doesn't, I must have lost it at some point. On that subject what do people think about this.

Silver hilt: Whenever the daemon within the weapon has an oppotunity to try to take control of the weilder, because the weilder Wp is lower than that of the daemon's the silver wards heat up, inflicting D6 heat damage on the arm holding the weapon. If ever the daemon would gain control the willpower test, the daemon does not  gain control, but the wards melt, removing their protection from then on and inflicting 3D6 heat damage to the arm holding the weapon.

I know that trying to take a daemon weapon without the risks is the foulest of heresy, but I've tried to balance the effect of the ward to be potentialy even worse than without them, especialy as they only protect you once and then are gone. If such a peice of wargear were possible it is very much in Rangovacks character to use one.
*Insert token witticism*

Kaled

Quote from: Inquisitor Cade on August 12, 2009, 11:13:39 PM
I think that if there were a daemon who wasn't fearsome then the reputation of Inquisitor Rangovack is going to be more scary than say an arco-flagellant or an Ogryn
True, but even Nurglings are said not to know the concept of fear - are there any daemons likely to be afraid him?

Quote from: Inquisitor Cade on August 13, 2009, 12:31:42 PM
Silver hilt: Whenever the daemon within the weapon has an oppotunity to try to take control of the weilder, because the weilder Wp is lower than that of the daemon's the silver wards heat up, inflicting D6 heat damage on the arm holding the weapon. If ever the daemon would gain control the willpower test, the daemon does not  gain control, but the wards melt, removing their protection from then on and inflicting 3D6 heat damage to the arm holding the weapon.
I'd have thought that every daemon weapon would incorporate wards designed to protect the bearer, and that such things are already included in the rules for daemon weapons.  Also, given his high Wp and lack of psychic powers (a main cause of Wp loss) then these rules don't sound like they'd come into effect that often.  However, I have a couple of questions; is that D6 heat damage to the arm every turn?  Is it reduced by armour?  The likely result of these rules seems to be that he'll keep taking injury levels to the arm and will no doubt drop the sword quite quickly.

Inquisitor Cade

Well the think about Rangovack is that he'd sooner loose his arm (literaly) than come under the control of a daemon. My intension was that the D6 would happen every turn unless he discarded/shethed the sword or his Wp got above 84 again. It would be reduced by armour however. As to the injury level, I tend to play that small damages don't increase the injury level to prevent the '4 slaps and you're dead' anomoly. I wanted the effects of the ward on the character to be rather extreame though, to justify why most do not use them, other than not knowing about them.
*Insert token witticism*

Kaled

In that case, I think you need to up the damage done when he passes his Wp test; on average it'll do just one point of damage per turn (even if his Wp is reduced, it's still high enough that he will pass the test most of the time).  The amount of damage done if he fails his he fails his Wp test means that it'll do a fair amount of damage, but given that result is unlikely I think the rules need tweaking a little to balance them.

Inquisitor Cade

What do you think is approapriate? D6+3 to crudely cancel out the armour? 2D6? D10? The thing is that it is every turn, and, he only needs to take 26 damage to pass out. Also I can't see the burning doing multiple levels of injury each turn. Actually as long as he is passing the Wp tests he wouldn't be suffering any adverse affects at all were he not using the wards, so a low 'token' amount of damage is a lot worse than nothing.
*Insert token witticism*

Kaled

Quote from: Inquisitor Cade on August 13, 2009, 08:34:30 PM
What do you think is approapriate? D6+3 to crudely cancel out the armour? 2D6? D10? The thing is that it is every turn, and, he only needs to take 26 damage to pass out.
It's only every turn that he's holding the sword - he could always sheathe it if it's hurting him to the point that he might pass out.  I'd probably go with something like D6+2 - his armour might protect him, but it's a real incentive to only hold the sword if he's going to use it.

Inquisitor Cade

That sounds perfect. Do you think such a peice of wargear is plausable.
*Insert token witticism*

Kaled