Main Menu

News:

If you are having problems registering, please e-mail theconclaveforum at gmail.com

Ork spore question

Started by RobSkib, May 24, 2010, 09:15:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RobSkib

I'm planning a campaign over summer that might include a couple of Orks, but I'm kind of at a clincher. To build suspense I don't want the Orks to be directly responsible for the events that occur, but rather hybrid humans. Now I'm pretty sure that human/ork hybrids exist, I just want to make sure I've got the right way of making one.

My plan was to have a nomadic tribe of human Junkers living out in the ash wastes who live in caves. Due to some geological phenomena, spores that have been left behind by Blood Axe traders (is this the right tribe?) the spores havn't developed beyond their initial stage and are clogging up the air in the caves. Over the generations, this has caused some of the Junkers to exhibit some of the more curious aspects of ork physiology - increased strength and aggression as well as some interesting genetic memories of dangerous technology.

Is this feasible? I know the spore mutation thing is a bit of a stretch, so if anyone has any better alternatives as to how I can make my humorks (orkans?) it would be greatly appreciated.

An Inquisitor walks into a bar - he rolls D100 to see if he hits it.
                                     +++++++
Gallery of my Inquisitor models here.

precinctomega

QuoteI'm pretty sure that human/ork hybrids exist

I'm pretty sure they don't.  But there are ork-ish humans in the background - the Diggas from Gorkamorka are the classic example: not orks or ork hybrids, but humans who admire and emulate the ork civilization.

R.

Swarbie

An Inquisitorial experiment gone wrong was released into the wild in the belief that it would be too weak to survive on its own, but it survived. A human-ork fusion that released spores that were one-third human DNA, one-third ork DNA and one-third that weird artificial DNA that gives Orks their technological abilities etc (Orks have three-strand DNA, IIRC).

Although it would be interesting to see if spores inhaled by people would develop. They'd be in a dark, damp, warm place - perfect for growing mushrooms.

Damn, now I have this image of orks becoming like chest-burstery. Imagine a little gretchin growing inside of you, until it got too big. Of course, by then you'd probably be dead from it clogging your lungs up with alien goo, but still, a rotting corpse is edible to an ork.
And I saw her body burning,
With it, my world
To dust returning

DapperAnarchist

Chestburster Orks are interesting - but what daft Inquisitor would "release into the wild" rather than use a flamer?
Questions are a burden to others, answers a burden to oneself.

The Keltani Subsector  My P&M Thread - Most recent, INQ28!

Kallidor

How about the Waaagh effect? Perhaps these nomads are all a touch psychic and for some reason have been caught up in the psychic emanations of nearby orks giving them an orky in attitude. Using ork technology could be something imprinted upon them psychically or perhaps their orky attitude and interest in orks simply makes them more likely to bodge together crude weapons like orks, possibly salvaging anything left behind by orks or maybe even captured from orks.

As the nomads and orks travel about the general effect on the nomads could come and go making them dangerously unpredictable. When fully taken by the Waaagh any apparent increase in strength or toughness could simply be normal human fight or flight responses sent haywire making it seem as if the nomads are much stronger and tougher than normal humans.
Be Pure!
Be Vigilant!
BEHAVE!

Flinty

Well, as everyone says, the Universe is a big place... Im sure the Eldar or a Mad Dr Evil might be the cause of some genetic ''playing with forces they dont understand'' going on.

I have at least a couple of candidates who are excellent Ork hybrid/mutations in my local.
Alternatively, they could of course be Neanderthal throwbacks and/or Chelsea supporters...
Neanderthal and Proud!

Shannow

Quote from: Flinty on May 27, 2010, 07:51:42 AM
they could of course be Neanderthal throwbacks and/or Chelsea supporters...

Jealousy is a cruel mistress....
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tanhauser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain.

Time to die.