Main Menu

News:

If you are having problems registering, please e-mail theconclaveforum at gmail.com

Ynek's (incomplete) Retrospective

Started by Ynek, August 12, 2009, 02:46:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ynek

Due to a mixture of my own ineptitude and my computer's total failure, I'm going to have to submit this in two halves. These are the models that I have pictures of available on my university computer. When I get my home computer to come back to life, I'll add the pictures from there into this topic. Sorry if this is a bit unorthodox or awkward.

THE HIVE MAIDEN
In Sceleris Hive, people have long whispered about a twisted, living nightmare that lurks in the bowels of their city. A true horror of the night, she strikes out unforgivingly at whoever is foolhardy enough to walk the streets alone at night. When her name is spoken, it it spoken only in hushed voices and with the utmost fear, as if uttering it aloud might be an ill omen. Her real name is long forgotten, remembered only in the memories by the dead and the insane. Those who know of her now know her as 'the hive maiden'. Few have glimpsed her, and fewer still have glimpsed her and lived to tell the tale.

ELDRETH DRAMATHIRE (SLA'HH)
On the fringes of the Imperium, beyond the reach of the astronomican, there lies a small, habitable world with a human populace possessing a technology level not far in advance of the iron age. Almost two centuries ago, the inhabitants of the world were greeted by what they believed to be Sla'hh, their goddess of vanity and beauty. By demonstrating technologies far in advance of what the planet's populace was able to create, and the mere fact that she doesn't appear to age, Sla'hh has convinced the population that she is a goddess. She demands human sacrifices daily, and she refuses to accept the sacrifice of anything other than beautiful human females. Her daemonic guardians, the "ghuk'hss" or "shadow hands" ensure that her will is done, keeping the humans in check.
The truth is that Sla'hh is no goddess. She is an exiled dark eldar named Eldreth Dramathire, who came to the planet through a long-forgotten webway. Along with a handful of mandrakes, she has managed to seize control of the planet's population.

Pyrekeeper Silas is a very focussed and purposeful individual. He was once a petty criminal on the streets of Vitium Hive, but when he was twenty one, the Emperor appeared to him in a golconda-induced vision, and urged him to join the planet's Redemptionist movement. Suddenly feeling a sense of purpose and belonging that he had never felt before, he joined the Redemption and soon became a very high ranking member of the movement on Gellar's World. Almost a decade later, whilst leading an indescriminate Redeptionist purge of a nearby drug den, Silas discovered the unconscious, drug-riddled body of Inquisitor Evad, who at the time, was something of a hedonist, carried away with his own power and having forgotten the responsibilities that went with his Inquisitorial rights. Silas was disgusted by the Inquisitor, who had neglected his sacred and holy duties on a binge of hedonistic, drug-addled pleasure. However, he realised that through the Inquisitor and his office, he would be able to access more places, more worlds, and would therefore be able to spread the word and message of the Redeption to countless new people. Evad, when he eventually regained consciousness after the redemptionist attack on the drug den, felt endebted to the Redeptionist for saving his life from what he had thought was a chaos cultist raid. Silas managed to wheedle his way into the inebriated Inquisitor's retinue, and by the Inquisitor's side, left Gellar's World forever. As he predicted, he saw many worlds whilst 'in service' to the Inquisitor, and on every world, he managed to nurture the first spark of a redemption cult before the time would come to leave. All this time, Evad was still heavily addicted to Golconda, and other expensive drugs. He had been trying to get off the drugs for years, but no matter what he tried, he could never shake the habit. It wasn't until explicator Sophie Vandus, one of Evad's acolytes, returned from a prolonged investigation in the Zahaar system that she would recognise that the Redemptionist was drugging the inquisitor's food. Regardless of how much Evad tried to get off of the drugs that were ruining his life and career, he would never be clean, as the Redemptionist was keeping him inebriated. She quickly discovered that Silas had been using the Inquisitor to spread his own perverted religion, and she attacked him. Silas's face was heavily scarred in the attack, but he managed to escape. Evad eventually recovered from his drug abuse and Sophie still serves with him as a faithful and loyal explicator to this day. Silas still travels the galaxy, attaching himself to whoever he can to keep moving, to spread the word of the Redemption across the stars.

XENOMORPH (omega-two-twenty)
Somewhat common in the likes of Sceleris Hive, this strange lifeform is surprisingly prevalent throughout the Levitus Subsector and much of the distant reaches of the ultima segmentum. It is thought that they are kindred with the tyranid race, but these appear to be native to our galaxy, unlike the Tyranids.
The omega-two-twenty have a remarkable parasitic life cycle. First, they are spawned as an egg, normally laid by a 'hive queen', which is roughly similar in appearance to a tyranid hive tyrant. This is one of the main reasons why some scholars believe that these two races are kindred - their leadership castes both bear a distinct similarity to one another. Once an egg hatches, a "headgrabber" or "facehugger" will spring from within. This headgrabber, as the name suggests, will latch onto the head of the first available host and inject a potent neurotoxin into their brains through two small teeth which penetrate the temples. At the same time, a long probuscus slips down the victim's throat, and an omega-two-twenty embryo is implanted inside. Once this is done, the headgrabber then falls off and dies. The host will soon regain consciousness, and will feel no adverse effects until almost a full day later, when his chest will suddenly explode and a juvenile omega-two-twenty creature will emerge. This creature will attack any humans that it comes into contact with, rendering them unconscious, and then wrapping them in a cocoon of saliva-based resin somewhere near to where the eggs are laid. Thus, the life cycle is complete.
Omega-two-twenty spread between worlds primarily through stowing away on imperial ships. An individual omega-two-twenty who is away from the hive for long enough will eventually adapt and become a queen, able to lay eggs and start a new hive. Landing craft in the Levitus Subsector must be rigourously checked before takeoff and landing to ensure that no eggs have been stuck to the outside of the craft. After the horrors that happened on Alderin VII, the local authorities have chosen to err on the side of safety.

More to come... :)
"Somehow, Inquisitor, when you say 'with all due respect,' I don't think that you mean any respect at all."

"I disagree, governor. I think I am giving you all of the respect that you are due..."

Lacerto

Great work! The Hive Maiden is one of my favourite Inquisitor characters; I really loved the full story you posted for her on the old Conclave. The figure is suitably twisted and looks amazing. Silas looks great, although he does remind me a little of Santa; not a bad thing. The fluff for omega-2-20 is really great too, mixing fantasy worlds has real appeal and doesn't always work, but these guys definitely do!

Alyster Wick

Great models.  This is the first time I've seen the Hive Maiden painted and I have to say she looks fantastic.

I've also long contemplated creating an Alien-like creature and your Omega model looks great (fluff may be a little too close to the movie for my tastes, but who cares, the piece looks great).

Eldreth also looks to be the best Dark Eldar model I've seen for Inquisitor.  Any chance you have the mandrake models completed?  I'd be curious to see what they look like.

Anyway, all the models look great.  Really inspired conversions coupled with fantastic paint jobs.

Ynek

Quote from: Lacerto on August 12, 2009, 04:58:30 PM
Great work! The Hive Maiden is one of my favourite Inquisitor characters; I really loved the full story you posted for her on the old Conclave. The figure is suitably twisted and looks amazing.
Thanks. I'm particularly fond of her character, and she had her maiden voyage (no pun intended) in a recent game I played against a friend's warband. She managed to take down a guardsman before being forced to flee by the arrival of his comrades. The guardsman was lucky, as he lived to tell the tale.

Silas looks great, although he does remind me a little of Santa
And Santa is good. He brings us all 54mm goodies once a year, and since he's a fat guy, we can all feel marginally less guilty about the state of our own bodies.

The fluff for omega-2-20 is really great too, mixing fantasy worlds has real appeal and doesn't always work, but these guys definitely do!
To be honest, I've never really been one for mixing fantasy universes. This is the one exception where I thought that since I had sculpted a xenomorph from the alien universe, I would try to crowbar it into the Inquisitor world so that I could run a one-day campaign off the back of it. Of course, then I got the modelling bug for a few weeks, and I sculpted a pair of eggs and a facehugger to go with him. It wasn't until I actually saw a topic on here named "xenomorphs" in the dark millenium section that I remembered I actually had these little fellas, and thought I should take some snaps and share them.

Quote from: Alyster Wick on August 12, 2009, 11:29:18 PM
Great models.  This is the first time I've seen the Hive Maiden painted and I have to say she looks fantastic.
I'm sure that your positive appraisal of her appearance is a great comfort to her. (Tee-hee) :P

Eldreth also looks to be the best Dark Eldar model I've seen for Inquisitor.  Any chance you have the mandrake models completed?  I'd be curious to see what they look like.
The mandrakes, or shadow hands, are on my to-do list. I'll do them once I've finished Inquisitor Thaddeus. :)

Anyway, all the models look great.  Really inspired conversions coupled with fantastic paint jobs.
Thanks for your comments. I'll try to get some photographs taken of my other models for you to take a look at some point this week.
"Somehow, Inquisitor, when you say 'with all due respect,' I don't think that you mean any respect at all."

"I disagree, governor. I think I am giving you all of the respect that you are due..."

Hadriel Caine

woohoo! those models are superb. I don't think I've seen any of them completed except the Dark Eldar before. The Dark Eldar was my fave from the hobby competition. the backgrounds and conversions are brilliantly thought out. puts my rambling nonsense to shame!
The Fall of Astraea
Astrean OOC- feedback thread

\'You have to lie to keep people happy\'

Molotov

I have to say that I really like the Pyrekeeper - the conversion, the colours and the fluff are all excellent.
INQ28 Thread | INQ28 Blog
INQ28, done properly, is at least the equal of its big brother - and Mol is one of the expert proponents of "done properly".
- precinctomega

Discy

Nice to see my Xenomorph thread jogged your memory :) Love the models.
Oh, and Santa with a flamer; brilliant!
Beep if you love muties!

Ynek

IMPERIAL TRACK-TRACTOR
Here's one of my three inquisitor scale vehicles. To be honest, it's the only one of the three that is actually completed, and it's also the vehicle that sees the most use.

Front:

Side:

Rear:

Shot with converted Slick Devlan for scale.

Closer look at the aforementioned converted Slick Devlan:

SCARFACE, KROOT MERCENARY
This is Scarface, a kroot mercenary in the employ of Master Shaper Ynek Rend. Little is known about him other than the fact that he was severely disfigured in a tragic accident when he was very young. The resulting scars and lack of a lower jaw made it impossible for him to fit into normal kroot society, so instead of trying to get along with his peers, he practiced various combat techniques. The Master Shaper eventually recognised his skill and ability and now uses him as his personal bodyguard. He cannot talk, and finds communication very difficult. His true name is forgotten, and he does not have the ability to tell it, so most of his companions know him simply as "Scarface."
He uses a four-shot missile launcher which was once part of an arbites suppression vehicle. The kindred recieved it as part of a payment on a mercenary contract, and could think of nobody more skilled in its use than Scarface.

UNKNOWN HRUD
This Hrud is thought to be working on behalf of a radical inquisitor as a spy. His master remains unknown.

MASTER SHAPER YNEK REND
Kroot Master Shaper Ynek Rend lives in exile, along with a few thousand of his people. After rebelling against the Tau Empire in the 40th millenium, Ynek's kindred was almost wiped out. The last remnants of his empire fled the Tau empire in three massive warspheres, and set up home on two worlds just across the Farsight Enclaves, known as Don and Healoneath. Ynek's grudge against the Tau has not waned over time, and he is now thought to be hunting the pre-imperial weapon known as the "angel," in the hopes of using it against his sworn enemies, the Tau.

On foot:

On Knarlock:

LazarusKing

Absolutely loving those Kroot, especially the Knarloc mounted Shaper.  The Dark Eldar is terrific, also.

Swarbie

Yep. Love the Shaper. Also impressed by how you can paint all the tiny little words on your models. The "Instructions for Use" on the missile launcher is great.
And I saw her body burning,
With it, my world
To dust returning

Kaled

The kroot on knarloc is just fantastic, in fact all three kroot models are excellent.
I like to remember things my own way... Not necessarily the way they happened.

Inquisitor - Blood Bowl - Malifaux - Fairy Meat

Ancelyn

The only thing I have to say is...awesome. The kroot is amazing, as is your entry to the competition. The vehicle is cool, very Space 1999. A great collection. Very inventive. Aliens rock. Acid for blood...did IQs suddenly drop while I was away?
To see a world in a grain of sand,
And a Heaven in a wild flower,
Hold infinity in the palm of your hand,
And eternity in an hour.

William Blake

Ynek

Well, it certainly looks like the kroot are popular. :D

Admittedly, they rarely see use in my games these days. Ynek was originally made to be the villain in the first Inquisitor campaign I ever ran, back in 2005, which was a sort of spin off of the Angel-related plotline in the "death of an angel" campaign book. It basically amounted to trying to stop the foul xenos from acquiring the powerful weapon for their own evil needs. At the end of the campaign, Ynek managed to escape, and still resurfaces occasionally as a recurring nemesis in games.

Anyway, I'll get more pics up soon, so watch this space.