Main Menu

News:

If you are having problems registering, please e-mail theconclaveforum at gmail.com

Inquisitor Syrias van Drake (pls comment and critiziese)

Started by Syrias van Drake, May 27, 2010, 01:21:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syrias van Drake

The Leader of my Warband is my Inquisitor Syrias van Drake, Lord of the Ordo Malleus. Syrias is based on the Model of Eisenhorn. I used the hands of Slick Devlan to creat a "Desperado-look". The head is covered by a cape (green stuff) and on the back, he has a lasgun (MS-Pattern) instead of Eisenhorns "Stick". My English is not good enough to discribe more...  :P I hope I can post a picture soon in the "Painting and Modelling"-part. Unfortunately, the model isn't painted yet because I had other things to do. :-[

Maybe I will post the story of him, too soon. First I have to translate it into english.

Ws  Bs   S   T    I  Wp Sg  Nv Ld  Speed
45-100-70-70-90-95-95- 95-95   5+1

Ranged Weapons
Autopistol
Revolver
MP Lasgun

Close Combat Weapon
Knife

Armour
Aramitarmour on all locations exept head
Heavy Coat

Bionic Eye (standard) with implanted range-finder

Special abilities:
leader, hipshooting, quickload, nerves of steel, Ambidextrous, dead eye shot, gunfighter, rock steady aim, fast draw

Sometimes I think he is a bit to good, but the people who play Inquisitor with me use Space Marine Terminators, Orcs or Ranger Warbands. I wanted to have a chance against them, so I took the profiel of a Lord and changed it a bit.

Please comment...

(I hope my english is okay ;))

Kaled

I think it's safe to say he's hugely over-powered by the standards of most people here, but if he matches the power level in your group then that's nothing to worry about. It does mean you're unlikely to get back much in the way of useful feedback though...

Your group does seem to have some very powerful characters - I'd love to see some photos of them, especially the ork and terminator.

What other characters do you have in your warband?
I like to remember things my own way... Not necessarily the way they happened.

Inquisitor - Blood Bowl - Malifaux - Fairy Meat

phil-o-mat

my first thought was: stats way too high!
and i don`t like it when all stats are divideable through 5 or 10. use stats like 43 or 97 or 71 etc.

second thought: you want to take it on with tactical dreadnought armour? why do you use those weapons against such a threat? they won`t penetrate the armour.

third thought: way too many talents!

hope this wasn`t too harsh.

bye, phil

p.s.: were are you from?

Syrias van Drake

I try to get some pics of the Terminator and the orc. They aren't  mine.. My friends did realy great jobs.
My Warrband:
Inquisitor Syrias van Drake,
ex-head hunter (Model of Slick with the conventionkid (shotgun) and helmet (not finished)
Arco Flaggelant (based on simeon)
Adeptus Arbites Agent (Lucretia Bravus)
Rogue Trader (Based on the Model of an eldar Ranger with two eldar-pistols)

Syrias van Drake

No, it wasn't to harsh^^
For me it's not a problem to be critizised, thats why I posted this, to get a serious feedback. I think, I will change it soon.
I'm from a Town near Darmstadt, Germany.

P.S: Wich Profile of an Inquisitor should I take, Inquisitor or Akolyth?

phil-o-mat

...switch to own language...

ah, ein landsmann. und dann noch beinahe vor der haustuer!
bin aus boehl-iggelheim, bei speyer.

...switch back to forum language...

if he is an inquisitor lord, i`d say use that profile. but the stats in the rulebook are not the best to start with, somewhere in the forum are better rules. try that link http://www.the-conclave.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=162.0

bye, phil

Syrias van Drake

I thougt about using the current profile from the rolebook (using diece). What do you think about this idea?

Kaled

Most people here prefer to choose stats that fit the background of their character rather than letting the dice decide. I rarely, if ever, look at the sample profiles when creating a character.

MarcoSkoll

Might I perhaps suggest that rather than ramping up your characters to meet the standards of Space Marine Terminators, you talk to the other players involved and explain that their models (however nice they may be) are not really the kind of thing that should be used regularly?

Space Marines (even those not in Terminator armour) are a formidable character class that should be used scarcely and only when appropriate.
I imagine most players on this site have at least one Space Marine in their collection - and I'm included in that, but I almost never use it. It's a model that a game will focus around regardless of whether or not the GM wants it to, and so gets time on the table only as a GM controlled character or a very rare "special reinforcement".

If everyone takes less powerful models instead, then things can still be balanced - and probably more so, as there's an increased element of chance.
If everyone has a 95% chance to hit, and does enough damage to take their opponents out in one (although that Terminator will probably resist just about anything), it just comes down to who shoots first.

Imagine if 40k armies were powerful enough to destroy each other in a single turn - the end result would just be who got the first turn won, and that's not really all that interesting.
The fact is, there has to be a reciprocation of the turn sequence* for game play to develop, which won't happen as fluidly with cripplingly powerful models on the table.

*Although, that does give me an idea for an alternative turn sequence.
S.Sgt Silva Birgen: "Good evening, we're here from the Adeptus Defenestratus."
Captain L. Rollin: "Nonsense. Never heard of it."
Birgen: "Pick a window. I'll demonstrate".

GW's =I= articles

Flinty

Welcome to the Conclave - I think this is your first post, but the not large font size incase it isnt...

Marco beat me to it - while the usual 40k soldier types are fun to see, they dont necessarily fit in with sneaking about in the shadows uncovering the dark secrets of the Imperium. Terminators dont sneak, and Orcs would not blend into a crowd in any underhive.

Its your game, so play how you and your group enjoy it - it might be that the typical characters and backgrounds given on this forum produce a longer, more intense, unpredicatable game.

Having said that I have seen some (a?) great  Orc and terminator scratch build here somewhere, and would love to see your and your friends figures up here.
Neanderthal and Proud!

Syrias van Drake

That's the problem.. Even if we use "normal" charakters, the are very overpowered. I changed the sheet of my charakter (and warband).  Less special abilities and lower stats.
In my opinion it's more fun to have an under cover mission, but I agree that this doesn't work with a Terminator or an Orc.
I prefere games with "low" power characters . It's more exciting.
Soon I will post a few pictures of my models, but they aren't painted  :-\

Chipperz

Just wondering, but do you guys play linked campaigns and make up missions, or do you just have straight-up gunfights?  If you play missions, go for lower-powered characters and then try to get missions that involve sneaking around and recovering items, rather than killing things.  A few low-powered characters trying to sneak past a group of Orks to plant a bomb on a hut full of Boyz might make for a great mission.

Also, if people with warbands full of Terminators and Inquisitor Lords start losing to the group of desperadoes and Guardsmen, it may force a rethink and bring the power level down considerably, making the games far more interesting.
Proud devotee to Mork.  Or the Emperor.  Whichever one doesn't get me killed.

Syrias van Drake

With Syrias, I started to play a linked campaign, before just missions (other characters). At the moment I'm writing a campaign, maybe as the Gamemaster I can control what characters the other players use. But my campaign is an other topic  :)
The player with the terminator wanted to use it for "all against the terminator and his warband". I agree that this is not the sense of Inquisitor.

Ws  Bs   S   T    I  Wp Sg  Nv Ld  Speed
41-83-62-64-  79-82-84- 87-83   5+1

Ranged Weapons
Autopistol
Revolver
Triplex Lasgun

Close Combat Weapon
Knife

Armour
Aramitarmour on all locations exept head
Heavy Coat

Bionic Eye (standard) with implanted range-finder

Special abilities:
Leader, Ambidextrous, Gunfighter, Dead Eye shot, Nerves of Steel

Is this still too powerful? As you can see, I changed the profile and less special abilities.

Kaled

Why is his Speed 5+1? Also, what is 'aramitarmour'? I assume it's something that didn't translate properly...

Syrias van Drake

Oh, sorry. I used copy+paste and then i forgot to write down the lower speed value. It has to be 4+1, sorry. Aramit is the one with armoury (4). I don't know the name of this kind of armour at the moment. I was on the run, so I haven't checked it before I posted it.
I always mess up with the names, I read the rulebook three times in english and just once in german. Sometimes it's realy confusing. Is Syrias still overpowered or okay?