Main Menu

News:

If you are having problems registering, please e-mail theconclaveforum at gmail.com

Self Sculpt question

Started by Shannow, May 31, 2010, 08:33:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shannow

Hi, I was just wondering if anyone knew how much green stuff is approximately needed when sculpting a full figure. Which will be of Dark Eldar proportions, so fairly skinny I'm guessing, though with a cape on. If anyone has the Dark Eldar codex its the last full page picture I'm taking inspiration from (I think its the last anyway).

Just didn't want to buy too little but equally don't want to spend more than I need to right now.

Rob
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tanhauser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain.

Time to die.

RobSkib

I'm sure someone with more experience can come and point you in the right direction, but you use a lot less GS than you think you will. I would also recommend getting something a lot cheaper, like Sculpey or Procreate for the bulk of your model, and use GS for the final layer. Others might tell you differently depending on personal preference, but that's the way round that I do it!
An Inquisitor walks into a bar - he rolls D100 to see if he hits it.
                                     +++++++
Gallery of my Inquisitor models here.

greenstuff_gav

the beauty of GS is that (unmixed) you can pop it in the freezer and it'll keep for ages and ages; i rarely have a strip longer'n the short bit of a blister pack on my desk'n :)

with how cheap Heresy Miniatures sells it for i don't do the whole "bulking out in other putty" malarky; far too much effort :)
one of the 17" boxes would be enough for a few sculpts  ;D
i make no apologies, i warned you my ability to roll ones was infectious...

Build Your Imagination

Shannow

Thanks for the tip! Also I was wondering if anyone had had bad ebay experiences? As you seem to be able to pick up all the different kinds of sculpting material on there dirt cheap? I'm hoping this is just bulk buying, but if anyone has a dissuading story I may veer away...
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tanhauser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain.

Time to die.

MarcoSkoll

I normally reckon on about using about 8-10 grams on an average model, including a bit of wastage.
A taller, bulkier, or caped model can be more for example, Marco's heavily built ~62mm model and his trenchcoat was approaching 15 grams I think, but Lyra's ~51mm tall model was only 6 or 7 grams.

What that actually translates to in "strips" of Green Stuff is that a model is about 4" worth (having some excess is however a good idea), so I got through I think about three strips of GW's Green Stuff (two to a pack, of course) when doing a set of 5 models (of assorted size and bulk).

Quote from: RobSkib on May 31, 2010, 08:50:45 PMSculpey or Procreate for the bulk of your model, and use GS for the final layer. Others might tell you differently depending on personal preference, but that's the way round that I do it!
Actually, I think I'd agree. While ProCreate has its uses, I'm considering going back to using GS for a lot of tasks simply because I've got more experience with pushing it around.
S.Sgt Silva Birgen: "Good evening, we're here from the Adeptus Defenestratus."
Captain L. Rollin: "Nonsense. Never heard of it."
Birgen: "Pick a window. I'll demonstrate".

GW's =I= articles

RobSkib

I swear by eBay - I have had no bad experiences to my memory, and so long as you deal with a well-reputed seller, you can't go far wrong. eBay is actually my favourite stomping ground for picking up cheap 54mm bits and other odds and ends that otherwise would never see the light of day.

Also, cheers gav for the heads up about GS on Heresy! I'll have to get me some of that...
An Inquisitor walks into a bar - he rolls D100 to see if he hits it.
                                     +++++++
Gallery of my Inquisitor models here.

Shannow

Yup, thanks for that link also, glad its so cheap!

On the subject of armatures, I've been reading several different guides that you guys have helpfully linked, and I was wondering what (if any) your personally preferred method for constructing armatures were? I don't have a soldering kit but I'm pretty sure I could blag my way into using the engineering departments set..... :P

Time to die.

greenstuff_gav

while a group of us bought armatures from Bronze Age Miniatures, for something with unique proportions (like a Dark Eldar) i'd be tempted to Make An Armature :)

Kaled's Resource Thread is worth a look, as is Mini Sculpture  ;D
i make no apologies, i warned you my ability to roll ones was infectious...

Build Your Imagination

Shannow

Thanks very muchly gav! I do plan on making the Armature slightly larger (say 60mm) which works out with the head being about 8mm I think. Hopefully the musculature won't be that hard as will be covering in spiky armour :P I've ordered the stuff and my exams end on thursday, so hopefully should get cracking on this weekend and put some pics up :)

Time to die.

MarcoSkoll

Quote from: Shannow on May 31, 2010, 09:12:52 PMI was wondering what (if any) your personally preferred method for constructing armatures were?
Personally, since Ynek suggested it, I've started using something based almost directly on the technique he talks about here

However, there are a couple of changes I make:
- I use brass wire rather than paper clips (as it bends easier, and with less tendency to break) and don't normally bother twisting it together because...
- I include the basic shape of the pelvis in the initial armature, which holds the two halves of the "spine" together at the groin end. Just don't connect the basic shapes of the thigh and pelvis together until you're ready to lock the joint in its final position.

Basically, you can see what my armatures look like in the first WIP shot for Commissar Leith - although I had clipped way one half of the loop of the basic wire armature above the ribcage at that point.

I'd also advise reading at least the first section of this post I made on basic proportion, although bear in mind, it does pertain to humans, NOT Eldar, so you'll need to make some changes - Eldar are more slenderly built than humans.
And obviously, anatomy is more complex than that alone describes - there are all sorts of proportions to learn and an "eye" to be learnt - but there's no way I can describe all of those easily.

Quote from: Shannow on May 31, 2010, 11:40:46 PMHopefully the musculature won't be that hard as will be covering in spiky armour.
Anatomy is still important, even if you're covering it up - yes it does save you having to do the precise definition, but the basic shapes will need to be correct for the model to look "right".
S.Sgt Silva Birgen: "Good evening, we're here from the Adeptus Defenestratus."
Captain L. Rollin: "Nonsense. Never heard of it."
Birgen: "Pick a window. I'll demonstrate".

GW's =I= articles

Shannow

Thanks Marco, I already assumed your posts would be of use and so went hunting for them :P which is where I got my figures for head height from in the previous post (60/7.5 = 8) so I guess thats sort of a thank you for your previous work :)

Indeed the basic shape will be important, I'm just glad that I wont be rigidly defining the muscle as I'm pretty sure I'd bugger it up!

Thanks again for the links (off everyone) I've got a sizeable reading list of guides now to work off and as I said I will hopefully be posting some wip pictures this weekend/beginning next week depending on when all the materials and tools reach me!

Time to die.