Main Menu

News:

If you are having problems registering, please e-mail theconclaveforum at gmail.com

''The Inquisition'' - Black Library fluff

Started by Flinty, June 03, 2010, 08:21:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Flinty

Wondered if (well, I'm pretty sure someone here must have) read/seen this before:
http://wh40k.lexicanum.com/wiki/The_Inquisition_(Background_Book)

The Lexicanum blurb describes it as:

The Inquisition is a background book produced by Black Library and features an encyclopaedic look at the Inquisition. It includes many larger articles on famous members of the Inquisition and events in its history as well as many small entries of less well known friends, enemies and events. It is a 96 page softbound book containing colour images and illustrations throughout.

I have found a few copies on Abe Books ranging from £40 to £150 (huh, theres always a couple of greedy/mental sods trying to rook someone) and wanted to know if it was even worth bothering with...

If your interested, the ISBN given on the Lexicanum are wrong - try 9781844164912.

EDIT:

Bah! Note to self; dont be pretentious and check Amazon first.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Inquisition-Illustrated-Secretive-Protectors-Warhammer/dp/1844164918/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1275549913&sr=1-1

Found some copies from £17.99, but it appears to be just a compilation of Dan Abnetts published material on the Inquisition, and since I have heard he is fairly free with the canon, its probably of passing interest - or is it?

Neanderthal and Proud!

Kaled

I bought a copy, and I wish I'd spent the money on something worthwhile instead. If you've read Eisenhorn then 90% of the material in there will be familiar to you. The rest is taken from the WH & DH codices, the Inquisitor rulebook and the odd bit from The Inquisition War. It's not even particularly good in terms of artwork, and the layout/format is poor.

Spend your money on Dark Heresy books imstead - they're far more worthwhile?
I like to remember things my own way... Not necessarily the way they happened.

Inquisitor - Blood Bowl - Malifaux - Fairy Meat

Kaled

Sorry, for the double post but that last bit wasn't supposed to be a question... Stupid phone keypad and fat thumbs!

Flinty

Hah! Crackberries/iPhones - you're all techno-slaves!

I am merely chained to a laptop...

Cheers for that Kaled - I'll bite the Dark Heresy bullet then - Core rules, the Radical handbook...or both/something else?
Neanderthal and Proud!

Kaled

The core rulebook, Radicals Handbook and Disciples of the Dark Gods are my favourites so far - they contain a wealth of great material, both in terms of background and artwork.

Heroka Vendile

It's all fun and games until someone shoots their own guy with a Graviton gun instead of the MASSIVE SPIDER.
The Order of Krubal
Rewards Of The Enemy

Charax

I hate the Black Library's Inquisition book with the burning fire of a thousand suns.

I warned against it being an Abnett - fest when they first released the preview for it - which only had about 4 non-abnett entries out of 20+

BL's response was "Don't judge a book by the sample pages" and the subsequent locking of the BL forum thread (WTF are samples for if not to inform purchasing decisions?). So when it came out, I bought it. Boy, what a mistake that was.

80% Abnett entries, with even the most spuriously, tangentially-related ones (alien races that one of his Inquisitors happens to have encountered) from Abnett being given more prominence than actual Inquisitors from non-Abnett works.

If you've read his books, or simply don't give a damn about Abnett's work, this is not for you. It's not an Illustrated Guide to the Inquisition, it's an Illuistrated Guide to Dan Abnett's books, with occasional filler material provided by twenty years of other Inquisition background.

It inspires much rage in me. Definitely go with the Dark Heresy rulebooks, which by contrast are fantastic.
(No longer} The guy with his name at the bottom of the page

Nash

The first thing I did when I got my copy of The Inquisition was to check the M entries for "Mendoza, Xavier" (an Inquisitor, usually not very well known by Warhammer 40000 fans, hence making a good trivia question, who condemned 50 Black Templars to death before dying in "mysterious circumstances) to see if it was really comprehensive... And then knew it wasn't.

Such a book would have to be complete to be of any real interest and its failure to be makes it worthless.

DapperAnarchist

Hmmm, Mendoza... Perhaps you might be interested in looking a little down the Dark Millenium page?  :P
Questions are a burden to others, answers a burden to oneself.

The Keltani Subsector  My P&M Thread - Most recent, INQ28!