Main Menu

News:

If you are having problems registering, please e-mail theconclaveforum at gmail.com

Brother_Brimstone's WIPs

Started by Brother_Brimstone, June 16, 2010, 08:24:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brother_Brimstone

Another 'Agent' working for Operative Carthax, this character is for the same warband as the techno-barbarian (whom i have now named Agent Adonais). As a bit of background for how naming works in the Operation, anyone under the employ of an Operative in a sector automatically gains the title Agent. However, if one already has a title (such as confessor, sister, preacher etc...) (s)he can choose to keep it instead of the title Agent (a bit like how a teacher at my college who is a preist and has a PhD calls himself Father rather than Dr). Anyway, the warband I'm putting together is going to become rather large. The idea is to fit with the shadowy nature of The Operation (whom you can have an insight into here) you never see Operative Carthax - he never goes on the missions himself, but instead employs a network of Agents to take care of whatever Affairs he is assaigned with (I may eventually make an Operative Carthax model but then again I may not - i quite like the intrigue of him being a 'warband leader' whom is never seen or on the tabletop).

Anyway, with that ramble behind me, I present you with Preacher Murphy;

My only problem with him are that the weapons are a bit big, but i see that as unavoidable; the weapons are standard Inquisitor size, and the model is a bit small - a problem I'm just going to have to live with. As for his impressive holding of the flamer I've decided i'm going to give him a bionic or augmented arm, as I like his pose - loosely based on this image and this model)

(i actually just realised, i still need to fill in the arm joins with greenstuff, so i'll do that before painting)

Comment/criticisms welcomed.

Shannow

I like him! Though like you say the weapons are a bit big really, given the size the flamer looks odd held in that position, perhaps if you cut and bent the left arm so he's holding it on his shoulder? Other than that I think it would look really cool if you added like external servos to support his arms using small tubes and wires?

However you work him I'm looking forward to seeing him painted! Also I really must get hold of some of the insignia packs they look fantastic on both him and Agent Adonais. Good job :)

Rob
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tanhauser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain.

Time to die.

Brother_Brimstone

Hmm, yeah, I might try bending the arm. I couldn't originally because the head was in a funny position and the hair was long (why he has the greenstuff around the hair and neck, i reposed the head and gave him a hair cut), but now they're out of the way I might try it. I also like the idea of making the arm more obviously bionic, so i'll give it some guitar wire.

Thanks for the input.

RobSkib

I'm not totally convinced by the huge weapons - for most characters this would be fine, but this guy is really quite slight of frame and the huge chunky ork chainsword doesn't really sit well. Have you tried using 28mm weapons? I think they'd fit a lot better - a SM chainsword (doubled up, check Kierkegaard's guardsmen for an idea) and an elongate SM flamer would look much more the part, and look less like he's doing a juggling act!

I really like the model, I just think if the weapons were shrunk a little it would be perfect :)
An Inquisitor walks into a bar - he rolls D100 to see if he hits it.
                                     +++++++
Gallery of my Inquisitor models here.

Myriad

You gave him a haircut!  I was wondering why the model suddenly had a serious look about him.  I like the added iconography - makes him very visibly a preacher.  I do quite like the flamer but at the moment it really doesn't look as if he could be holding it like that.  As far as the chainsword, I think part of the issue is that the hilt doesn't match the bulk of the blade - a bit of greenstuff might help.
I had better point out, that some of the clubs I represent are of a military bent.

You know what you are?  A plywood shark!

Brother_Brimstone

Update! Greenstuff isn't my friend, but I gave this my best shot. It lacks detail at the moment, so once dried, i'll file it down and give it a better finish. Opinions on the new pose and scaled down weapon would be appreciated.

Thanks for comments so far.

Shannow

Really good work! The new chain sword looks fantastic and the repositioning of the left arm has a very natural look about it. If I nitpick I might say that the fuel cell for the flamer looks a little off but I think that will we be offset once painted.

Great job!

Rob
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tanhauser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain.

Time to die.

Alyster Wick

Much improved, looks great!  The flamer wasn't necessarily too big for him, it was just a little excessive being held out to the side.

RobSkib

That's looking much, much better :)

The flamer rested on the shoulder is really cool, it gives him a kind of "come and try me if you think you're hard enough" look, and the new chainsword is much more suited to the model.

I can't wait to see him painted!
An Inquisitor walks into a bar - he rolls D100 to see if he hits it.
                                     +++++++
Gallery of my Inquisitor models here.

Brother_Brimstone

I've renamed this thread as I have a few ongoing projects and I don't want to clog up the forum with lots of different threads for different characters; I have Agent Adonais, Preacher Murphey, Heretek Armadeus, Sister Doraldine and Sister Mercy (all of whom have names which are musical references  ;)) all on the go and so although it's too late for Adonais, I'll post all of the rest in here.

I present Heretek Armadeus. He's actually a character driven model rather than the rest who are all model driven characters. My idea was to have a techpriest who found a piece of archeotech which had either over time been exposed to chaos or was made using Chaos based technology (whichever is more plausible). Basically the big fist - 'The Fist Of The Omnissiah - is a projection weapon; i've constructed a table and whenever you use it, you roll on the table to see what the fist does. Unlike regular archeotech, you don't make an SG test to see if it breaks, you make a WP test to see if you are possessed. Armadeus has found the fist and now beleives that the Omnissiah is not the emperor at all, but in fact a Chaos God. Thus he doesn't beleive himself to be a heretek at all, he beleives himself to be very, very loyal to the omnissiah, which is why he was 'gifted' with his arm. Obviously, he is for Zophar's band, not The Operative's.

Anyway, that's a brief intro to my general idea. Full rules and backstory will be upped into the Rules Discussion once exams are a thing of the past;

The mechadendrites aren't offensive weapons, they are interfaces for machinery - i'm working on rules for him to be able to 'upload' data daemons onto computer networks - it's an idea too cool to pass up!

The only weapon he has is his fist - it counts as a powerfist in combat and its ranged capabilities are as outlined above. Since it never breaks, he has no reason to carry other weapons around (it was a fluff decision - he has placed his faith in the omnissiah's will - the fist will 'guide him').

Comments/criticisms welcomed and appreciated

Shannow

Very very very nice. Can I ask what the base model is? Also the fluff behind him sounds very interesting and could lead to many different plot threads if tapped into. I really should get some guitar wire as it works extremely well on him.

I look forward to seeing the other WIP's too!

Rob

Time to die.

Myriad

That's a better pose for Murphy, alot more natural, and the chainsword vibes better.  Looking good.

The heretec certainly has a unique look, which is always a good thing.  I never see tech priests as necessarily carrying weaponry anyway, so I like him just having his powerfist / device.  I think 'chaos based' tech is mostly corrupted imperial tech, but there's plenty of fluff precedent for that producing unique effects not achievable by 'mundane' means (and at the bargain price of one soul). 
I had better point out, that some of the clubs I represent are of a military bent.

You know what you are?  A plywood shark!

Brother_Brimstone

The model I used for Armadeus was Sacred Blade's 'Rogue Cyborg' model - the conversion was fairly minimalist; I just added guitar wire and a few little bitz on the end of the mechadendrites. While it was a CDM with the concept of Chaos archeotech, I had no idea what to make the archeotech look like (originally planning to make it some sort of gun), but when I saw that model I thought 'Hey, it can just be a giant, scary looking fist'.

Thanks for the comments.

Brother_Brimstone

Apologies for a double post. No progress on the painting front, due to my holiday and my having spent my modelling time today on working on a new miniature. A Sister Of Battle armed with a Bolt Pistol and Anointed Sword, I present Sister Doraldine - the greenstuff needs a bit of smoothing out (especially on the shoulderpad and connection between the backpack and her back, i shall do that next, along with any changes if people think changes are needed;

All comments and criticism appreciated.

Shannow

I like the concept but I think because she has quite a steep lean on her back and the backpack is pretty large, it makes it look like she is really struggling to hold herself up. Maybe ben her forward a bit or reduce the backpack size? Though considering the nice flame work you've done that would be a shame.

Rob

Time to die.