Main Menu

News:

If you are having problems registering, please e-mail theconclaveforum at gmail.com

Matte, satin or gloss?

Started by Inquisitor Thaken, June 18, 2010, 12:16:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Inquisitor Thaken

"Matte is better, it's, SOOOOOO much more realistic!"

That is an aesthetic judgment call, and is a matter of personal preference.  Tastes change.  Is DaVinci or Van Gough a better painter?  Depends on who you are.

Anyway, I like a satin finish.  It has a nice "toy soldiery" look to me.  Gloss is too flashy, but matte is just... blah.

Anyway, it's all good.  I am sure that matte will have overwhelming support, but I am also sure that there are a few glossaholics out there.

Myriad

It does depend on the model. The knarloc below,

for example, looked better for a coat of clear varnish.
I had better point out, that some of the clubs I represent are of a military bent.

You know what you are?  A plywood shark!

Inquisitor Thaken

Quote from: Myriad on June 18, 2010, 12:23:17 AM
It does depend on the model. The knarloc below, <SNIP>

Nice work!

Ynek

It very much depends on the model, and the component that you are painting.

For instance, metallic parts always look best with a gloss coat, since the high specularity of the gloss makes the metal look shiny. Human skin, however, always looks best with a coat of matte varnish, since shiny skin just looks bad.

So, in short, it depends on what you're doing. Gloss varnish is always best reserved for things that you want to look shiny or wet....
"Somehow, Inquisitor, when you say 'with all due respect,' I don't think that you mean any respect at all."

"I disagree, governor. I think I am giving you all of the respect that you are due..."