Main Menu

News:

If you are having problems registering, please e-mail theconclaveforum at gmail.com

vehicular inq

Started by 1337inquisitor, August 13, 2009, 04:10:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

1337inquisitor

Recently i was Twisted metal 2 for the Playstation one (an excellent game for the ps1 library i might add) but that has made me wonder has anyone done an INQ game complety or almost all the chars are in vehicles?
No honey, the true moral of the story is never put down your weapon.

Homer Simpson

Dust King

I did one once, based roughly of the chase in the first disk of final fantasy 7. Basically the group trying to escape was loaded into a pick-up truck and one character was on a motorbike. We used the basic rules from the chases in the need for speed article with several car loads of scum chasing the group the game went well enough but the vehicles were a bit too week, often crashing or exploding violently after a few gunshots. I'd be tempted to do another game like that but possibly with more durable vehicles and possibly other motorists not involved in the chase whose cars can be hijacked after jumping to them from their own totalled transport.

Anyway those are just my rough comments and thoughts after one game.

Ynek

I spent three days trying to make a fun set of rules for a death-race. I wanted players to be able to choose who from their warband would pilot the vehicle (Characters with high S+T weighed more, and would slow the vehicle down. Characters with lots of armour and equipment would also weigh the vehicle down). During the race, players could choose to throw team members out of the vehicle, throw equipment away or even start hacking parts off of the vehicle (resolved as damage against whatever part of their own vehicle they chose to attack) in an attempt to speed it up. The idea behind this was that there would be a gunfight at the finish line, and anyone who had gone too lightly on their warband or thrown too many of their teammates overboard would probably not live very long.

After days, I had whittled all of this it down to a rather complicated but elegant equation, which tallied up the weight of the vehicle, and then the weight of the crew, and the weight of the crew's weaponry. These were then compared to an 'engine power' stat, and this would then give the vehicle's accelleration, maximum speed, etc.

However, after playtesting the rules alone in my room, I realised just how painfully SLOW they made the game. Every time a vehicle lost weight, the equation had to be recalculated. Whilst this wasn't a problem when you had an excel spreadsheet in front of you, at the gaming club, where there is a distinct lack of computers, it would be painfully slow. The rules I had written were shelved in the deepest, darkest recesses of my hard drive, and then early this week, my computer went into meltdown and that file, along with hundreds of others, were tragically lost.

So, to answer your question in one word, no. I haven't ever played a game which was purely based on vehicles, but I did intend to do so.
"Somehow, Inquisitor, when you say 'with all due respect,' I don't think that you mean any respect at all."

"I disagree, governor. I think I am giving you all of the respect that you are due..."