Main Menu

News:

If you are having problems registering, please e-mail theconclaveforum at gmail.com

New to Inquisitor, warband ideas...

Started by Okona, June 28, 2010, 01:02:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Okona

Greetings all,

A couple mates and I are planning to start an Inq campaign, and I'm thinking of running a Rogue Trader and entourage. Now, having never played Inq before, I'm not sure where to begin... What sort of sinister companions would you recommend for such a character? And how many models? I envision him as a desperate sort of fellow, coming to the end of his finances, with only an ancient ship and a plethora of curious antique weaponry at his disposal.

Futhermore, what model would make a good base for him? I detest the standard RT model, so not that... I rather like something based on either Covenant or the Arbite Judge, both for the flowing coat/armour combo.

Any thoughts would be much appreciated!

MarcoSkoll

I gave a basic short-list of possible Rogue Trader companions for a Warseer member a few weeks back.

Don't feel that you have to include any of these, or that they're the only things you can include, but:

QuoteHowever, if you want a starting point, likely companions for a Rogue Trader might include a Navigator, a rather burly bodyguard, a tech-adept (someone has to keep the RT's ship running), a pilot (who ever said an RT had to do their own flying?)... or perhaps a considerably overworked savant who has to spend his days doing the RT's accounting.

As for the how many models question, that really depends. Usually, the games I play have 1 to 4 models per player (with 3 being a typical number for Conclave events), with an upper limit of about 10 or 12 models on the table at once. Much more than that can really make for a slow game, particularly if the GM or some of the players are inexperienced.
That said, one of the best games I ever played used two separate tables, with each player having 3 models on each. Basically, events on each table affected what happened on the other.
It took a long time to run - and that was with three veteran players and an almost inhumanly good GM - but it was a truly epic finish to that campaign.

However, the fact you can't necessarily use all your models at once doesn't mean that you can't have more than that - assume they're off performing "secondary tasks" like looking after the ship, securing supplies, sleeping or whatever.

Now... models. I'd say that either of those could work. I'd figure Covenant was the better choice myself, but that's only if you're alright with the fact that he's wearing a woman's coat (by our standards at least, the buttons are the wrong way around).
S.Sgt Silva Birgen: "Good evening, we're here from the Adeptus Defenestratus."
Captain L. Rollin: "Nonsense. Never heard of it."
Birgen: "Pick a window. I'll demonstrate".

GW's =I= articles

Kaled

If you're not planning on playing in a GW store, then there are a load of fantastic models by other manufacturers who'd be perfect as a Rogue Trader - much better than either Covenant or the Judge.  It'd be worth you having a look through some of the links in the modelling resources sticky thread.

- Dave
I like to remember things my own way... Not necessarily the way they happened.

Inquisitor - Blood Bowl - Malifaux - Fairy Meat

Vladimir

I always thought this figure would make a neat rogue trader...

Other than that, she'd probably have a warband of trained bodyguards- use the enforcer or desperado stats as a starting point. Navigators, sages, medics and so on are also possibilities, but are less likely to be involved in the actual gunplay.
But what if the Emperor could be granted a body that does not wither and die, that could be his vessel for all eternity to come? I believe that such a thing is possible, that the Emperor yet waits for his new body to be found or created. In essence, a new Emperor will be created to lead Mankind to i

Okona

Thanks for all the input fellas. Ive started ordering a few bits and bobs for my warband, my Rogue Trader is going to be made mainly from the excellent Bounty Hunter model (with much better arms...), with a First Mate sort of fellow made mainly from Major Jaxon (or possibly Slick, having trouble coming up with a background for him...), and a Tech Priest who will be mostly just Gruss.

Finally I'm thinking of going with a Navigator for the last member, but what bits to make him from? I know there is an excellent model available, but he is a) a bit too regal to join my motley crew, and b) a bit too obviously pro-imperial/inquisitorial for my liking.

Anyone have any ideas on how to make a custom navigator? All thoughts would be appreciated! If only Scarn was still available, I wouldnt be having this problem.... grrr.

Vladimir

Navigator?
Preacher joseph'd be a possibility. Given how navigators are prone to mutation, you could do some interesting stuff... I'd recoment quovandius, but he might be *too* ragged-looking.

What rules were you going to use for the band?
But what if the Emperor could be granted a body that does not wither and die, that could be his vessel for all eternity to come? I believe that such a thing is possible, that the Emperor yet waits for his new body to be found or created. In essence, a new Emperor will be created to lead Mankind to i

Okona

Yeh I thought about Josef, but he's a bit too fat too be a Navigator (who tend to be tall and spindly). In terms of rules, I'll be using either Guardsman or Desperado stats for my first mate (depending on which way I go with him), and either standard Rogue Trader or Inquisitor stats for the Trader. The reason being, the Rogue Trader stats in the book depict him more as a henchman of an Inquisitor, rather than the powerful and charismatic leader that he is...

For the Navigator, I'll be using the PDF rules. I'm still somewhat torn however, as although a RT would certainly HAVE a Navigator, I'm not sure if he'd risk bringing him along on a shore party.... Argh there are too many choices in this game and I cant decide on my henchmen!

DapperAnarchist

According to Rogue Trader RPG, bloatedness is a possible mutation for Navigators - guess they were going for the Baron Harkonnen look there.
Questions are a burden to others, answers a burden to oneself.

The Keltani Subsector  My P&M Thread - Most recent, INQ28!

Okona

Ah really? I think I must get my hands on the Rogue Trader RPG book, if only for the background info. Any more you could tell me, without breaking copyright laws and getting everyone into trouble!

DapperAnarchist

Uh... on the table you roll them up on, mutations include multi-jointed limbs, bloatedness, translucent skin, claws, fangs, wasted muscle, loose skin, nightvision, stuff like that... You rolled up between 1 and 4, depending on which house you chose...
Questions are a burden to others, answers a burden to oneself.

The Keltani Subsector  My P&M Thread - Most recent, INQ28!

Shannow

I'm sure there's a free PDF in amongst Marco's lot that has tables for rolling up mutations and suggested rules to go with them, like extra movement for quadrapeds etc, that is if you didn't want to fork out for a the book. Though it is fantastic if you do :)

Rob
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tanhauser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain.

Time to die.

Kaled

Quote from: Okona on July 05, 2010, 08:31:06 PM
In terms of rules, I'll be using either Guardsman or Desperado stats for my first mate (depending on which way I go with him), and either standard Rogue Trader or Inquisitor stats for the Trader. The reason being, the Rogue Trader stats in the book depict him more as a henchman of an Inquisitor, rather than the powerful and charismatic leader that he is...
I don't know if anyone has mentioned this to you before, but many players would suggest you not use any of the statlines in the back of the rulebook as they tend to a be a bit too powerful for a fun game.  They tend to have too many stats in the high 80s and 90s, which makes the chances of failure rather remote and thus the game is not as tense as it could be.

I would suggest looking at the descriptions of the stats at the start of the rulebook (p15 of the LRB) and just pick values that fit your character rather than just using a generic statline, however this thread may be useful to you;
http://www.the-conclave.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=162.0
I like to remember things my own way... Not necessarily the way they happened.

Inquisitor - Blood Bowl - Malifaux - Fairy Meat

Elva

Quote from: Vladimir on June 28, 2010, 12:51:58 PM
I always thought this figure would make a neat rogue trader...

This is a really cool model and I think she'd be a pretty decent rogue trader(especially with the alien weaponry).
"Nobody expects the Imperial Inquisition!!"

Okona

A very interesting read there thanks Kaled, and pretty much summing up the sort of power level I would like to play at. However, convincing the others of my group to do this might be another matter (a group where guard snipers with boltguns and arco-flagellants with implanted powerswords go hand in hand... ???)

Edit: I'm also thinking that Lady Jena somethingorother would make a good potential Navigator (as I already have a rogue trader model), but I've never seen or heard of a female navigator... is this just something that doesnt exist?

MarcoSkoll

Female Navigators certainly do exist. Navigator families are pretty much limited to breeding between each other (because the mutation is so important), and that obviously wouldn't work without female Navigators.

GW just aren't strong on showing female characters in general. I suppose you could justify the lower incidence rate of female navigators in the background by saying that many of them are simply kept back for "breeding purposes", although that argument works less well for other classes of character.
S.Sgt Silva Birgen: "Good evening, we're here from the Adeptus Defenestratus."
Captain L. Rollin: "Nonsense. Never heard of it."
Birgen: "Pick a window. I'll demonstrate".

GW's =I= articles