Main Menu

News:

If you are having problems registering, please e-mail theconclaveforum at gmail.com

40k Scalel models for Inquisitor

Started by Elva, July 07, 2010, 12:26:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Elva

Hey all,
Just though I'd post a helpful idea that my group has been doing. We  get together at our local Games Workshop, and they don't have any inquisitor terrain so we've been using 40k scale models for our scenarios, and it's been really handy, since its easier to convert and there's a larger range of models. Though, since space marines in 40k are not to scale, plus they're really overpowered, its a good idea if someone in the group wants to include one, that they make it true scale(as well as meet the ready reckoner limit if it's used).

Hope it helps, and if you have anything else to add it'd be much appreciated!
"Nobody expects the Imperial Inquisition!!"

MarcoSkoll

Inq28, as it is normally known, has been a subject of no small controversy over time.

Reasons include cheaper models, a larger range models, more terrain - just about everything. And actually, if you look at most of these reasons, they're actually quite easy to debunk.

Terrain being quoted as a reason is one of my pet peeves. Almost all GW terrain and any homemade terrain that was thought out will be able to accommodate large "infantry" models like Obliterators and Battlesuits with at least some leeway. Hence, the same terrain can be used for Inquisitor models, unless it's "scale marked" by having dead bodies littered over it or something.

I could go over the other reasons, but... well, it's all been said before.

Now, let's be entirely clear, I have no problem with Inq28 (beyond the fact it's more easily abused for powerful characters, but that's more of a flaw with the player than the scale). It's another way to play the game, and ultimately, Inquisitor is about freedom and playing it your way.

What I do however find annoying is that most of the reasons given to play it are poorly thought out and generally indicative that the people making the reasons haven't actually ever played 54mm, and are writing it off out of hand. Look, if that's how you want to play it, play it that way. But please, don't come up with reasons why it's better than 54mm unless you've actually played 54mm - and enough to be genuinely able to speak from experience.

QuoteThough, since space marines in 40k are really overpowered, its a good idea if someone in the group wants to include one...
... that the GM tells them to naff off unless they've got a very good reason. I would say the same thing at any scale.
S.Sgt Silva Birgen: "Good evening, we're here from the Adeptus Defenestratus."
Captain L. Rollin: "Nonsense. Never heard of it."
Birgen: "Pick a window. I'll demonstrate".

GW's =I= articles

Elva

Sorry if it sounded like I was writing 54mm off, I think they are two sides of the same coin and each has its own advantages. Sadly though, I haven't had as much experience with it as I would like, which I'm sure you've already concluded. Though I'd love to try 54mm, the main reasons why I haven't had a chance to, is lack of funds and the fact that 28mm models and bitz were more readily available. It is a good idea to try all aspects of something before one comes to a conclusion, I didn't mean to put 54mm in the dark.

Again, sorry if I overstepped my bounds there, I hope I didn't make too much of a fool of myself.

Kallidor

Quote from: Elva on July 07, 2010, 03:19:02 AM
lack of funds

I'm sure Robey or someone will be along soon to say that lack of funds is a poor excuse (no pun intended). You can get good deals on ebay, an Inquisitor figure is the same price as a box of 40K figures, many 40K weapons can be converted for use in 54mm or you can stratchbuild them and you can convert other 54mm models which are a fraction of the cost of Games Workshop figures; you could get five WWII soldiers for instance for less the five pounds for some kits and a little green stuff and some 40K weapons and bits and bobs and you're done. There's no real reason not to play Inquisitor at 54mm.
Be Pure!
Be Vigilant!
BEHAVE!

Elva

Lol, thanks for the tips, I appreciate it and I'll definitely keep that in mind. Though when I mean lack of funds, I mean about 10-20 dollars(I'm Canadian :)) to my name, though I'm working on remedying the situation(being 17 and unemployed sucks). Also another issue is that everyone in my group agreed to use 28mm scale, so I'm a bit stuck, but I've got some good models to use. Otherwise I'm sure I'd already have some 54mm models in my arsenal by now.  I'd love to try it if I got the chance, I'm just waiting for it to come up, but I'm looking forward to it. In fact, I'm kinda curious now to see what my characters would look like in that scale.:)

Molotov

I have always fought for INQ28 to be considered equal to it's bigger brother. You can't say one is better than the other, just simply that they are different. Both offer opportunities for players and modellers - both can be done well, and done badly. But that's it.

Here's a selection of some of my current INQ28 characters (including a true-scale Space Marine, who has yet to see the field of battle...)

Inquisitor Hoth

Saul Baltasar

Arbitrator Titus Dio and his Cyber-Mastiff

Sylus Tem, Sage

Inquisitor Adorno

Seraphael, Daemonhost

Mourn, Mercenary

The retinue together.

Hierophant.

My true-scale Marine... and a picture of the Marine alongside Inquisitor Adorno

Many of my models are more expensive than some of the 54mm models - I tend to have a habit of chopping up limited edition figures and remaking them to suit my tastes. But yes, INQ28 can be a vibrant and alternative form of playing the game. It should sit comfortably alongside INQ54 - but neither is really "superior" to the other.

INQ28 Thread | INQ28 Blog
INQ28, done properly, is at least the equal of its big brother - and Mol is one of the expert proponents of "done properly".
- precinctomega

Elva

Those are pretty cool, way beyond my skill that's for sure. Like Molotov says, neither is superior, they're just different ways of playing the game, which is what I've been trying to say, I guess it just didn't come out right.

Vladimir

@elva: if your poor, do what I do. Buy a big ol' batch of putty and teach yourself to sculpt. It's surprisingly easy, and a lot of fun... these days I look at figures I buy as just being lazy.
But what if the Emperor could be granted a body that does not wither and die, that could be his vessel for all eternity to come? I believe that such a thing is possible, that the Emperor yet waits for his new body to be found or created. In essence, a new Emperor will be created to lead Mankind to i

Elva

Quote from: Vladimir on July 09, 2010, 06:41:22 PM
@elva: if your poor, do what I do. Buy a big ol' batch of putty and teach yourself to sculpt. It's surprisingly easy, and a lot of fun... these days I look at figures I buy as just being lazy.
Will do! That's a skill I've been neglecting for too long, this will be a  good excuse to work on it.