Main Menu

News:

If you are having problems registering, please e-mail theconclaveforum at gmail.com

Chosen of Isha

Started by Elva, July 07, 2010, 09:27:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Koval

Quote from: Macabre on July 08, 2010, 07:53:48 PM
I think I'm rather more offended by the assumption that I'm male.
To be fair it isn't immediately obvious what gender anyone is around here.  :-\

Macabre

Shannow, a stasis field would work under the principle of quantum mechanics, either by removing or altering contempory time (normally converting a mass into a non-event mass with a quantum probability of zero), now, if a stasis field works upon material physics, and the immaterium isn't subject to the normal laws of time, or indeed any euclidian principles, how would a stasis field convert a non-euclidian mass with an indeterminate chronological progression into a non-event mass with a quantum probability of zero?
++Believe the lie. Trust no one++

DapperAnarchist

That assumes a stasis field works on Quantum Mechanical principles - as opposed to, say, Etheric Technology.
Questions are a burden to others, answers a burden to oneself.

The Keltani Subsector  My P&M Thread - Most recent, INQ28!

Shannow

Indeed as dapper anarchist says you have still made an assumption of what laws a stasis field works under. This is somewhat of a pet peeve of mine when people state things aren't possible based on certain laws, we are however living (at least in our mind) in the 41st millenia with warp travel and such so I think it is not beyond reasonable doubt that these laws may have been proved false at least to the extent that a stasis field with an effect on the immaterium is feasible.

Sorry if that came across as a personal attack Macabre, that isn't my intention its just generally I think a more open mind should be had sometimes.

Peace out :D

Rob
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tanhauser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain.

Time to die.

Macabre

I didn't consider it a personal attack, I'm just curious as to how you would justify using a stasis field (eg, something that by whatever technology, alter chronological progression) in a realm where the laws of time and space are entirely non-euclidian. Simply saying 'Etheric Technology' is just coming up with a name in order to vindicate an impossible action, the Immaterium isn't subject to any laws of time and space as we know them, therefore it would be like trying to trap an oceanic body of water in a jar made up of a single hydrogen atom.
++Believe the lie. Trust no one++

Shannow

For me the most important thing you said there was 'as we know them'. My point is that our understanding is limited to a minute galaxy within the vastness of the universe and in the fantasy realm we play inquisitor in their have been 38000 years or so for greater understanding to be developed and encompass what is currently the great unknown.

Also, though my actual physics if extremely weak (bio-medical sciences all the way!) 'an ocean in an atom' to para-phase, seems piffling in comparison to our current singularity big bang theory?

Obviously what you say is perfectly correct and applicable NOW but that does not mean that it will be in 38000 years, and given the presence of Gods, Psykers, the warp, the eye of terror as it manifestation. and all manner of different things like necron phase technology in the 40K universe I think it requires only a little stretch of the imagination to include a stasis field capable of capturing a whisper of the immaterium and holding it for millennia.

I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tanhauser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain.

Time to die.

DapperAnarchist

Well, I think I covered that, by pointing out that while the warp is not affected by time, warp events and relations in the real world are. I think you could trap a Daemon in a Stasis field, containing it. However, this wouldn't mean you would never see that Daemon again, much as trapping the Doctor in a stasis field doesn't mean you'll never get your a$$ kicked by him... But worse, as the Doctor at least has a singlular experiential timeline, and the Daemon does not. However, that Daemon in the field is still trapped there, though psychic effects, especially from a very powerful being (like a God), might leak out.
Questions are a burden to others, answers a burden to oneself.

The Keltani Subsector  My P&M Thread - Most recent, INQ28!