Main Menu

News:

If you are having problems registering, please e-mail theconclaveforum at gmail.com

Rooftop Chase ("The Rolling Road")

Started by Molotov, August 13, 2009, 02:34:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Molotov

I'm interested at some stage in doing a very cinematic rooftop chase. People often talk about Inquisitor in terms of its cinematic qualities, and that's something I'm keen to explore.

I'd like to have a number of rooftops, with players forced to jump from roof to roof, perhaps occasionally pausing to exchange gunfire or the like.

I'd really like some ideas on rules mechanics for such a scenario. I've been drawn to the "rolling road" rules from the Gorkamorka rulebook. (You can download "Da Uvver Book" if you want to read them in detail - they're in Scenario 5, "Da Chase".)

In the rolling road, after both players have taken their turn, there is a special phase which simulates the effect of driving along the desert at high speed. Everything on the board is moved 6" backwards. Vehicles are allowed to stay in place if they use their engines to keep pace. If a piece of terrain moves off the board, then the players roll off and the winner can place the terrain (something you can use to try to make the enemy's vehicles crash!)

I like the idea of the terrain moving every turn, and players having to elect to either spend an action "running" to stay in place, or get moved back with the terrain. I'd just like some advice and opinions on the mechanics of it for Inquisitor.

Thoughts welcomed,

- Mol.
INQ28 Thread | INQ28 Blog
INQ28, done properly, is at least the equal of its big brother - and Mol is one of the expert proponents of "done properly".
- precinctomega

Darios

jump'n'run in ][ style? sounds cool...
i would do just as described by you... 1 band chasing some nsc (as this is more suitable for a 1 mna szenario) and the nsc is mostly running... if the chars get moved of the table, they're out of the chase... *g*

Charax

The main problem with the rolling road scenario (also used in "Jetbike Chase", IIRC) is that you need to move every bit of terrain precisely, and in a game like Inquisitor that benefits from having lots of terrain, that's going to quickly bog things down.

but as it's a rooftop chase, you don't actually need whole buildings, just rooftop-shaped bits of card at least, or rigid modelled rooftops - preferably divided into 6" or 12" squares.

As for the mechanics, it would seem simple enough - at the start of each turn, before actions are declared, move all terrain back 6". Any terrain completely off the board is removed, as is any unoccupied terrain more than 50% off (saves you having too many pieces hanging off the ends). anyone who fails to make a jump from one rooftop to another falls down and is removed from play (unless you want to use rules for hanging on by your fingertips) - they take a predetermined amount of damage, but aren't automatically killed, except if the damage is also enough to kill them. Anyone who is removed from the table by being on a piece of terrain which is removed also plays no further part in the scenario. Removed terrain can be re-placed at the head of the table during the same pre-turn phase, with the placement of new buildings cycling through the players.

because you're using rooftop terrain, you don't need to worry about moving characters, they'll be standing on the terrain as it moves. maybe use blu-tak to keep them in place but little else is needed. there are already rules for jumping (running or otherwise) in the rulebook and everything else should be pretty much the same.

why, what kind of rules did you think there'd need to be?
(No longer} The guy with his name at the bottom of the page

greenstuff_gav

i planned something similar for a campaign that never ran; involved one character trying to escape while being chased by mercs.. theory being 2 lines of "exhibits" (Random Stuff on paint tin lids!) and then a series of blast templates spread in the centre of the board as spotlights, the rest of the board in darkness.

Scenario:
Search for Ramieres Arc: So Close! Get Him!

48"x 30" board. along the centre line at 12" intervals are spotlights (ordinance blast markers). 12" either side (and offset so inbetween lights) are trophies, again 12" apart.
Players start up to 3" on from corners on a shared short side.

Rules:
Turns: the escapee must be at the far edge at Turn 8

Run For It!: The terrain is all moved backwards 8" a turn on the second turn and then 12" a turn each subsequent turn

Dark and Musty: Anyone on a pool of light, or within 3" of a trophy are visible normally. Anyone else are -20% to be hit (unless they have nightvision etc)

Trophies: If a trophy is inbetween the firer and the target, the target gains +8 armour. If the damage beats this 8, the trophy is destroyed and the target automatically fails their pinning test (unless they automatically pass)
i make no apologies, i warned you my ability to roll ones was infectious...

Build Your Imagination

Heroka Vendile

a useful thing for this is gaming boards built in sections - mine is three 2"x4" boards lined up as a 6"x4" table, so could either lay them out on the floor as a 2"x12" surface, or once all characters have moved off the starting end of the table, lift that section (clear it of terrain first, obviously), shuffle the other two sections along the table, then place the first one at the far end, add new terrain and keep going.

I also think that rooftop chases gain immeasurably for actually having raised terrain, even if it's just blank sheets of MDF raised an inch off the gaming table, it helps the feel and puts people into a better mindset I reckon.
It's all fun and games until someone shoots their own guy with a Graviton gun instead of the MASSIVE SPIDER.
The Order of Krubal
Rewards Of The Enemy

Molotov

Thanks for the input, guys.

Charax: I was imagining some sort of modelled rooftops, even if it's just the tops of shoeboxes. As Heroka says, it helps in a psychological sense. What I was figuring is that there would be some way to stay in place whilst the terrain moves, simulating the fast-paced cinematic nature of things. Perhaps at the start of every turn at "Speed 10", the players must declare whether their characters are "keeping pace" or "dropping back". Keeping pace expends an action (all characters automatically get a single action, so that works out) and allows the character(s) to stay in place, whilst dropping back means that the character is moved back as the terrain moves. Then when players get down to their speed value, they roll one action less than normal unless they dropped back. If they kept pace and get no actions on their roll, they do nothing, as they used their single action keeping pace.

The immediate downside I can see is for those who would've combined actions with their single action, running and trying to fire at others, for example.

@ Heroka: The table this would probably be played on would be 6' x ~3', it's quite a long, narrow table but I think that would probably work. I'd probably experiment with having a couple of different heights of rooftop, just to add some variety and some drama.

Thanks for giving me plenty to think about, guys!
INQ28 Thread | INQ28 Blog
INQ28, done properly, is at least the equal of its big brother - and Mol is one of the expert proponents of "done properly".
- precinctomega

Charax

Quote from: Molotov on August 14, 2009, 11:40:31 PM
What I was figuring is that there would be some way to stay in place whilst the terrain moves, simulating the fast-paced cinematic nature of things.
See, I don't see any reason this has to be done at Speed ten - there's already a system for "expending an action to use a set number of inches" in the game, and it's called movement. It's actually more hassle to take a character off the board, move the rooftops back and then put the character on the board in the same position as before, then do the rest of the turn it would be to just move characters back with the terrain and let them move normally in their own turn. It also avoids the sense of giving everyone a single action at speed 10 and the rest several bands later, so long as they choose to use it running at a certain speed.

After all, if the board moves back 5y a turn, why can't I use my Speed 10 movement to Sprint instead of Run, so while everyone stays in place I move 4y forward, perhaps into some new cover? the whole "staying in place" thing also doesn't really work with a rooftop scenario as you'll end up smashing into terrain or running into thin air if you choose to "stay in place" at the wrong spot.

No, far better to keep the normal turn sequence intact, I think. Less messy, more logical and fewer unintended consequences
(No longer} The guy with his name at the bottom of the page

Simeon Blackstar

Quote from: Charax on August 15, 2009, 12:11:44 AM
See, I don't see any reason this has to be done at Speed ten - there's already a system for "expending an action to use a set number of inches" in the game, and it's called movement.

Well said  ;D

Also, for a chase scenario the table doesn't even have to be moved a set number of inches each turn.  You could just move it so the one being chased never quite gets off the board, and anyone that falls far enough behind to drop off the other side can be deemed too far back to realistically catch up.  For extra jollity, have a set but hidden number of inches the chasee has to cover to reach his extraction point, or just make the landing pad come into sight as things reach the deciding point.

precinctomega

I've done a few games like this.  One thing that surprised a lot of participants is what comparatively short distances their characters managed to actually jump.  You'll need to alter the jumping rules somewhat to ensure that the game lasts a bit longer, otherwise it often just ends with the "fleeing" side plummeting to an unexpected demise within the first three turns.

It could be played well as a game with just one player and a GM.  If the terrain moves D6+2 yards each Recovery Phase, the player's objective is to get all of his characters to the far end (this may seem too easy, but with the right spacing between buildings, there should be lots of delays as characters end up dangling from parapets, being pulled back up by their colleagues).  Once a character leaves off the far end of the table, they've escaped.  If they are caught by the near end, then they've been captured.

Simples.

R.

Ynek

Indeed, the distances between rooftops needs to be carefully considered.... Unless your character has a jump-pack, or his name is morpheus.
"Somehow, Inquisitor, when you say 'with all due respect,' I don't think that you mean any respect at all."

"I disagree, governor. I think I am giving you all of the respect that you are due..."

precinctomega

I have a PC called Morpheus and, yes, he was named after the Matrix character.

R.

O_o

going to  echo a few things  I  read and  a few more  ideas

Buildings  don't need to be  full buildings,  after all its a roof top chase..something  like a small box top will count as a  roof  if your on the table  your on the ground and  OUT  of the chase.

Terrain  on the roof.. there different  levels  to  jump up or  down,  railing to  get over  or  even  vents and pipes to get around  making a straight  line  less likely.

Gaps... the  gap only  need to be a  few yards wide, its an  ally you are jumping  not a major street
  go look at pictures of a shanty town  or warren  the  shacks are really close together, besides if you fall your  OUT of the chase!!

Rolling road... the rolling road from  Gorka was to represent the SPEED of the trukks,  with  running  and  jumping  I  woudl  say  go  with  a random  distance in yards  to  move the  roofs back  like PO  said 

ending  chase.. simple  end it  when  the distance  cant be  closed,  no one is  left to chase or  when the  NPC  gets off the far side or  caught.

think I  will try this  with  my  group  in a couple of  weeks and  tell everyone  how it  worked out 

Heroka Vendile

I have to say I have a scenario in mind for the GT which kind of works on a similar theme, although the players will have a lot less choice when it comes to where they go. Unfortunately my ability to run said scenario relies on the passing of my driving test by then.

Anyhow, I agree with POs line of thinking that the mechanic should be kept as simple as humanly possible.
It's all fun and games until someone shoots their own guy with a Graviton gun instead of the MASSIVE SPIDER.
The Order of Krubal
Rewards Of The Enemy

Holiad

I like the idea, in a large variety of prolonged chase scenarios. A Modular terrain board would seem like a nice way to simplify the problem of moving everything backwards-simply remove the rearmost board section and add it to the other side.
Poor noble Marech
Noone 'till the end could see
Your brave heart of fire