Main Menu

News:

If you are having problems registering, please e-mail theconclaveforum at gmail.com

Shannow's WIPs

Started by Shannow, July 15, 2010, 01:24:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kierkegaard

From what I can tell (the picture is rather dark) One-Eye looks great. The yellow is particularly nice (how did you do that, Iyanden Darksun with Devlan mud wash?)

I look forward to seeing the hooded guy painted.

Shannow

Apologies for the dark light, the natural light in Lancaster is extremely poor and even rarer! Exactly right on the paint front, though need to do a fair bit of touching up I think.

Hooded guy has been started but not sure of the paint scheme yet, so may do over.

Thanks for the comments!

Rob
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tanhauser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain.

Time to die.

Brother_Brimstone

Agreed, I really like the yellow you've got there. It puts me in mind of tau armour and that combined with his advanced technology makes me want to suggest that you perhaps include some element of xenos tech into his background (although that's just a suggestion - i think his technology could pass for Imperial, but seeing as how he is closely associated with B.A.R.T. I wouldn't say that he would be a stranger to xeno tech).

Anyway, another nice looking model, can't wait to see what you do with the Barman. It's shaping up to be a great warband!

Myriad

Those are better pics.  Like the bases - the barman has his own personal bit of post apocalyptic terrain  :).  Pure imperial tech wouldn't (normally) do that to One Eye and leave him with a mind, so clearly he's got an interesting background.  They've got a real 'desperado' feel about them, only the barman himself could walk into a bar and order a drink.
I had better point out, that some of the clubs I represent are of a military bent.

You know what you are?  A plywood shark!

Shannow

Many thanks for compliments and comments :) Background with One-eye is progressing slowly, but after your comments Brother_Brimstone, I'm thinking of creating a heavy Tau influence (Steeaaal!).

The Barman is as below, though I got quite frustrated as i can't seem to get the same coherency of colours and feel for him. As it is I'm making him deliberately grubby and world weary-esque looking, let me know if you think that is coming across and any suggestions either how to finish him other than a black t-shirt would be great!

And with some paint:

Obviously lots to do on him, and he's already had some touching up done. I am quite pleased with the base, but is the orange to much?

Whilst getting frustrated with the Barman, I calmed myself down my mangling the mount of one of my mid 90's undead characters into a Xeno bounty hunter called Nos'tko.

Spray paint gave out sadly whilst undercoating him, but started on his shield. He is carrying a flamer/hand flamer, I've made him very strong (80's) so may make it a full flamer that he brandishes in one hand, the gun on the back of the shield is a laspistol as back up, and the shield is his main combat offensive weapon. Pretty pleased with him for a jumble of tank parts, warhammer mount and greenstuff :D

Hope you like and I've posted background for Nos'tko in my fluff thread!

Rob

I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tanhauser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain.

Time to die.

MarcoSkoll

Someone got a load of spare Chimera parts have they? ;)
S.Sgt Silva Birgen: "Good evening, we're here from the Adeptus Defenestratus."
Captain L. Rollin: "Nonsense. Never heard of it."
Birgen: "Pick a window. I'll demonstrate".

GW's =I= articles

Herald

I really like that hooded character very shady, the base looks good as well. I think a black tshirt would look fine but perhaps a bit dull? Otherwise you could maybe add some colour to him (dark red or orange to match the base?) but i'm not sure it would be entirely in keeping with the character. Otherwise you could do a black or dark tshirt with some kind of logo on it.

The alien is cool as well looks like one of those times when lots of random bits come together really well. I don't know why but I feel you have to have him throwing the missile on his back by hand as a sort of explosive javelin.
"A man who joins the Inquisition a radical has no faith, a man who leaves it a puritan has no sense".

Shannow

@ Marco - Maaaaybeeee.... :P

@ Herald - The missile is there for just that, but I've left it off his stats as I imagine that he is saving it for last stand, all-or-nothing moment, perhaps in the climax of a campaign or scenario where he javelins it into a bloodletters leg blowing a hole in it allowing everyone else to hack him down.....it will be good when it happens :D

Finished the Barman (barring going around touching bits up here and there), fairly happy and feel like I've been more adventurous in techniques and colours as well.

Will begin painting Nos'tko tonight and hopefully have him done before weeks ends, then maybe start on the 'good guys'!

Comments always welcome :)

Rob

Time to die.

precinctomega

Lovely job on an interesting mini, but... Drill out the chimney stacks!!

R.

Shannow

Ahhhhh! Thank you for that suggestion, I knew something wasn't right with them but I couldn't figure out what :P also thanks for the compliments.

Never underestimate the frenzied capacity for work as an insomniac...as my dad always said anyway..... Unable to sleep last night I have nearly finished Nos'tko, and this morning a strange and rare ball of orange appeared in my sky in the North West and so I got a few good pictures of him as well as a couple of group ones. Enjoy!

And the group shots:

Hope you like and criticise away!! (imagine me waving a starting flag, or firing a starting gun, whatever your fancy)

Rob

Time to die.

Myriad

Looking good, the natural light is alot kinder to all of them.  Nice primitive shield there, and great 'junk' backpack.  The grip on the flamer looks a bit funny, though I'm struggling to pin down why.  The red beak adds a dash of colour to th e model, which is good. 
I had better point out, that some of the clubs I represent are of a military bent.

You know what you are?  A plywood shark!

dumdeedum

Wow! I'm really liking everything you've done Rob. Nos'tko is particularly impressive.

Finally got my hands on a few minis plus modelling supplies and paints so will hopefully be able to join you in showing off minis.

James

Shannow

@ Myriad - hmmm I see what you mean about the grip, I think perhaps it gets too thin under his claw, I will probably beef it up with a dab of green stuff. I am very happy wit how Nos'tko turned out as a fairly extensive conversion/green stuff play around :P

@ Dumdeedum - Glad you like and I can't wait to see some of your characters come to life mate! I eagerly anticipate :D

Rob

Time to die.

Shannow

Apologies for the double post, but have made progress on one of my sculpts. I have a feeling many will greatly dislike this idea I  have played with though...

My inspiration came from how Glavian's have been depicted both in the GW article and also in the Eisenhorn novels. So basically they are peacock, showy, dandy and vain people is my basis; however Jon Cade, this particular character, is a very embittered Glavian and so I thought that although he would do away with all the normal pomp and splendour of outfit, he would still find a way to make black, white, grey and a dash of red quite risque :D

That is why I chose this particular scheme, and though it was very much a suck and see idea I like how it has turned out but if it is met with outcry and shouts of 'its sh*t'.....I will probably change it anyway :P

Feel free to react with disdain :)

Rob

Time to die.

Brother_Brimstone

Perhaps it's just me, but my main problem is that the dark wash on the white side doesn't look like dirt; it looks like paintbrush strokes. It doesn't really create a feeling of depth nor a feeling of dirtyness. White was perhaps an ambitious colour; i've tried painting a white armoured model before and it is, in my opinion, the hardest colour to get the shading right for. Similarly, with the black side of the coat, just some grey highlighting (followed by a black wash to help the colours blend) to give a feeling of depth would definitely help. At the moment, the problem isn't the colour scheme per se, but that both the black and the white look rather flat and unrealistic.

Hope that helps and isn't discouraging, it's just how i might try and improve such a colour scheme if it were me.

EDIT: on second glance i think there may be some grey there, but it isn't really in the places i would think should be highlighted. I would give a thin stroke of grey on the top of the cuff and the top of the 'cuff' of the boot, as well as on any raised creases. on the black side, perhaps the brim of the hat and the top of the pocket flap too