Main Menu

News:

If you are having problems registering, please e-mail theconclaveforum at gmail.com

Saint Luthor Dewemann, the kindest heretic

Started by Sperry, August 14, 2009, 04:24:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sperry

Saint Luthor Dewemann, or the most pleasant possible heretic

It's been a while since I've posted here (or in the last generation of this), and I've restarted being the GM of Inquisitor games, albeit at my college.  I've also restarted what I call the "JRR Martin GM'ing technique", which entails killing off support and main characters left and right.  Besides this I've continued to make the campaigns more and more morally gray.  I then came up with an idea inspired by reading about the Reformation, and the possibilities that the Catholic church had to reform itself--why not have a villain who is trying to help fix the Imperium, and seems like he's actually blessed by the Emperor, though how questionable this last claim is (compared to being blessed by a Chaos god) depends on the GM.  Feel free to add or remove traits if they seem to lean too far on one side or the other of the 'who's this guy working for' question.  

However, the general feel of this guy should remain as a pacifist boss, who won't kill characters unless they're deamons but will likely result in a great deal of damage to your equipment.

Luthor Dewemann

The hiveworld Sommia [in the system Scales] is covered by Administratum offices and temples of the Imperial Cult.  It's widely known as one of the most devout planets in the Segemtum Tempestus, besides Sanctus Prima.  Besides this, it is known for the Libercity, a library the size of a small city, roughly 50 square miles.  However, the Libercity had been bogged down by mis-filing and red tape for several centuries, keeping it's knowledge untraceable besides to the most devoted searchers.  Dewemann was, as the post-Dewem reform files show, born in this city, and was raised in it.  However the first files (pre-reform) show a young man at the age of 15, intensely religious and intelligent while going through the Universities of the Hive planet.  Besides this, his teachers noted his fantastical kindness and charisma, such that any aggression aimed at him seemed to dissipate in his presence.  He swiftly moved up the ranks of the Adeptus Ministorum, until he became the man in charge of the Library at the young age of 48.  With a streamlined system and the help of hundreds of thousands or autosavants, he managed to organize the library within a mere 15 years, such that a STC detailing a more efficient bolter that was .0004% cheaper to produce was discovered, an STC which has since then saved billions of man hours.

More and more, the Library gained prestige and power within the hierarchy or the system.  Archeology sites in other continents and planets were diverted to send their information to the great halls.  Soon the schools and universities were under the control of the Libercity as well, and this is where troubles arose.

Luthor Dewemann is of the opinion that any measures taken to destroy Chaos, and the knowledge of Chaos, should be taken, even when one has to ally or gain knowledge from aliens.  However he was also a massive oddity in the Imperium, in that he made all attempts to protect human life.  Rebels who didn't have chaotic influences were captured, converted, and sent into penal legions.  Over his de facto control of the system, millions were saved due to his methods.  Once the archeology site of Sancta Lunar uncovered a small genestealer cult, several tyranid specimens were caught and research into a method of replicating their acidic weaponry was made.

This was around the time when the Inquisition took an acute interest in him.  Members of the Ordos Hereticus had already started investigating him, but with this heresy, the Ordos Xenos sent Inquisitor Albus Bardus to the planet.

Now, Bardus was not an intelligent Inquisitor, nor was he particularly experienced.  This mission was meant to be a test of his ability.  That such a low-rank Inquisitor was assigned to such a high ranking possible Heretic has been considered by some as a result of meddling on behalf of one of Luthor's many friends.  

The moment Bardus met Dewemann, any suspicion he had quickly disappeared.  Luthor seemed legitimately blessed, as multiple exorcisms done on Bardus' behalf showed.  However, every time he left the immediate vicinity of the so called Saint, his suspicion piqued again.  Right before going back to Terra to request reinforcements that weren't indirectly controlled by Dewemann, the system was isolated by a warp storm that kept the area inescapable for 50 years.  

It is unknown precisely what occurred during that period, but the tales that came out of the Scales system were epic, tales of the Saint and the Inquisitor joining together to vanquish Hordes of Chaos Demons and cultists.  By the end of the Storm, the upper levels of the system's government had disappeared.  Dewemann and his followers were at the head of the entire system, and with the alliance of an Inquisitor, gained after proving his faith sufficiently to the oddly open minded and accepting Bardus, meant that Dewemann is now a candidate for Cardinal.  But his perhaps heretical views and tendency to control everything worries the High Lords that he might be a second Gore Vandire.  This, as well as his increasingly powerful position, means that the best Inquisitors are now investigating him.  Is he the Saint his followers claim he is?  Perhaps.

A note on all of the weapons used by all weapons used by Dewemann and his followers (with the exception of the Holy Gladius)--Dewemann has an intense love of human life, and the weapons and bullets he blesses have an odd tendency to avoid organs, but instead hit nerves.  All damage that Dewemann weapon does will be halved, however for shock purposes they deal double damage.

Also, it would be suggested that you don't inform your players of his Deathly Holy, Quick Exorcism, and Blessed traits, or at least don't tell them what they entail.

Luthor Dewemann

WS-60
BS-45
S-40
T-60
I-60
Wp-150
Sg-80 (110)
Nv-60
Ld-150

Luthor is Left Handed

Equipment-Flowing silk robes (defence of 1) on all areas sans head, the Holy Gladius (with attached Exterminator), Advanced Bionic Brain, Pentagrammic Wards, Hexagrammic Wards

The Holy Gladius-

"The ability of the blade, the ability of the user, the ability of the enemy--all these are nothing.  Faith is everything."

The Holy Gladius seems like a simple short sword with an Imperial Eagle on the hilt.  However, when used by Luthor it becomes a terror, and it is said that it has the blood of a million cultists on it.  The Gladius is a short sword that cannot be blocked and ignores armor.  In addition, he is considered to have the Bladesmaster trait with this weapon.

Abilities-Word of the Emperor, Amazingly Pleasant, Deathly Holy, Blessed, Quick Exorcism, Heroic, Force of Will

Amazingly Pleasant-Luthor is a rare thing in the Imperium, in that he is a fanastically good man.  Any interaction any person has with him will be as if he was their immediate superior, regardless of the occupation of the person themselves.  All characters on his side will use his Leadership trait instead of their own, and will use his Leadership trait instead of their Nerve trait.  Beyond this, a character must pass a Wp check with a -75 modifier to maintain any ill will towards Luthor in his presence outside of a combat situation.

Deathly Holy-Luthor may be one of the greatest enemies that a deamon can have up close.  His very flesh is painful to them.  Luthor's unarmed attacks against Deamons deal 4d10 damage, and besides this any deamon weapon that hits him melts, and is considered unusable.  In addition, his Word of the Emperor skill deals 1d10 damage to deamons.

Blessed-Luthor has been confronted by many an assassination attempt, and his attempted assassins (as well as Inquisitor Bardus) were surprised when their bullets managed to consistently find a better place to be (that being away from Luthor).  Before a character, besides a non-human, even tries to hit Dewemann with a ranged weapon they have to pass a Wp test.  Besides this, any ranged weapon that is Alien, Deamonic, or blessed in any way (this includes Bolters, who's bullets are generally carved with Imperial runes) will always miss.  A close combat weapon used against Luthor will require a Strength check by the user, minus how much damage the weapon is dealing, as the blade attempts to turn itself away from his holy form.  He is also treated as having the Magic Absorption ability.

Quick Exorcism-If Luthor confronts a deamonhost character, he can attempt to exorcise the deamon from the human's body.  It requires a Ws check, and then 5 uninterrupted actions.  If he manages this, the deamon leaves, and what ever abilities that were gained from the deamon's possession are eliminated.  Beyond this, there is a 10% chance that the deamon is destroyed, or otherwise weakened for the next several centuries, but regardless, that deamon is is considered unusable for the rest of the game.

Inquisitor Albus Bardus

WS-72
BS-84
S-42
T-75
I-73
Wp-20
Sg-38
Nv-90
Ld-80

Albus is right handed

Equipment-Bolter with 1 reload, Carapace armor that covers all areas but the head, 2 psych out grenades, 3 plasma grenades

Abilities-Leader, Spineless, Quickload, Force of Will, Heroic, Rock Steady Aim, True Grit

Spineless-Albus would not be able to function as an Inquisitor if they were aware of how deeply in Luthor's thrall he is.  He manages, however, to seem normal (or the level of 'normal' an inquisitor is) when not in Luthor's presence.  When Luthor is not on the battlefield with Albus, he gets +50 Wp.

In addition, Luthor has under his command thousands of Adeptus Sororitas, millions of Guardsmen, and trillions of minor secretaries who will influence matters in any way possible.

What are the motivations of Luthor Dewemann?  Is he being manipulated, by aliens, or Tzeentch perhaps?  Or is he the genuine article, and any suspicion against him is misplaced?

You decide, though I'd suggest deciding away from him because his influence tends to bias you.

Inquisitor Cade

A very interesting premise.

I think you've over done the Gladius, and the automatic misses of the blessed, xenos and demonic weapons.

The advanced bionic brain might warrant a mension in the background, and do you mean a highly advanced bionic brain. Advanced bionic brains confer no Sg bonus and have a 1% chance of malfunctioning.

I'd suggest a rosarus (conversion field) for Dewemann.

Dewemann is suprisingly competent with a sword and is very tough! I'd tone these stats down a bit. And surely Wp and Ld 90 odd would be enough.

Bardus is a bit too good a shot if you ask me. I'd take 8-10 off his Bs. Also, unintellegent for an Inquisitor he may be, but nobody could become and Inquisitor with an Sg of much less than 60., and even then there would have to be a reason.

I'd take away heroic and force of will when he is away from Dewemann.
*Insert token witticism*

MarcoSkoll

Dewemann's profile:

His characteristics are mostly reasonable. Questionable, but reasonable.
His Wp and SG need to come down though. 100 is considered the maximum attainable by a human in any stat.

His skills however... You can't hate him*, approaching half of attacks will bounce off**, he melts daemon weapons***, and he can depossess daemons in seconds**** ... and this is supposed to be sensible?

* If you're keeping this, tone it down, with a much lesser penalty, and add immunity for psychic nulls.
** Perhaps a fixed -20% penalty to hit him instead. (Also, most bolters are not blessed.)
*** Give him an equivalent of the anointed weapon rule instead.
**** What's wrong with giving him something based around the Banishment power?

And his sword?!?! Unblockable*, ignores armour** and confers the blademaster trait***? What the hell?****

* No, just no.
** No, just no.
*** No, just no. (Blademaster only works with mundane knives normally.)
**** Write a different sword. Blessed in some way. I would suggest with the Master crafted special rule, auto crits characters considered of evil intent (GM discretion), and immunity to being destroyed by power weapons.

To get away from talking about that insanity, I'll talk about Bardus' stats:

The combination of that WS and that BS is unlikely to say the least. Both are levels of practised mastery.

Also, a lot of skills, and some powerful ones amongst them. There's something of a clash between "Spineless" and "Force of Will". One says he folds under almost no pressure, and the other says... well, quite the opposite really.
S.Sgt Silva Birgen: "Good evening, we're here from the Adeptus Defenestratus."
Captain L. Rollin: "Nonsense. Never heard of it."
Birgen: "Pick a window. I'll demonstrate".

GW's =I= articles

Tullio

Love the background, it was a real joy to read. The only real criticism I have is really a spelling issue - I think you mean "Gogel Vandire" rather than "Gore Vandire"

The rules I'm not so hot on. Silk robes conferring armour? Well, admittedly I never liked the "Heavy robes AV2" thing anyway, but I agree with Cade insofar as a Rosarius would be highly appropriate. So too do I feel you've overdone his special rules. What I suggest is that he has a Banishment equivelent, and also ditch the holiness rules you've given him. The reason I say this is because -

a) If he can be harmed just as easily by the faithful as by the profane, it makes morally grey games truly morally grey.

b) His holiness affecting daemonkind is quite adequately represented with the Wards you've given him - quite enough to give the diabolic some trouble, he doesn't really need much else

c) Word of the Emperor is a good way of showing his odd effect on others. You might also want to consider a variation of the "Innocent" rule from "Love in the time of Heresy", or perhaps one of the "Word of the Emperor" variants from the Thorian Sourcebook

Have you a model in mind for him?

Tullio

Sperry

In the defense of Bardus, he's meant to be the Dragon of Dewemann, and both he and Dewemann went through a 50 year war.

However, knowing that makes me realize that having a character to do the fighting for Dewemann would mean that Dewemann shouldn't be good at fighting.

So yeah, the Gladius should be replaced, perhaps with a normal sword that has the "Magic Absorption" trait.  And the ability to straight up murder daemons would put a damper on the "Is he being manipulated by chaos" question.  Perhaps it'd be a better idea to have Blessed and Deathly Holy replaced with

friend of the Bureaucracy-Besides being a key figure in the Ecclestiarchy, Dewemann is intensely popular in the Ministorum.  Expect your characters luggage to arrive on another ship, any of your most questionable warband characters being curtailed, and several other bureaucratic mishaps.