Main Menu

News:

If you are having problems registering, please e-mail theconclaveforum at gmail.com

Interrogator Brennus von Theastalos

Started by 1337inquisitor, July 28, 2010, 02:28:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

1337inquisitor

the finding the model is still a WIP but i have found a good looking 65mm model http://www.fantization.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=7189
No honey, the true moral of the story is never put down your weapon.

Homer Simpson

Zakkeg

Interesting choice. I've always liked the model, but I'd be afraid that at 65mm he wouldn't look "tall" so much as "out of proportion." (Though of course it's impossible to tell without actually having a scale comparison shot.) Have you considered basing him on this chap instead? With a bit of putty those enormous muscles of his could be quite convincingly turned into an anatomically formed greco-roman style breastplate, I reckon.

And of course there's the additional upshot that he fulfills my criteria for S/T in the 80s, for whatever that's worth.
Only the insane have strength enough to prosper; only those who prosper may truly judge what is sane.

1337inquisitor

How would that be out of proportion? Ok so the Artemis model is said to be 67mm and while this one 65mm, 102mm including the banner on his back. It's possible that he is just a very tall man but while i admit that it's hard to have someone very tall in a medieval society where there is no proper diet there can still be very tall people. Pier Gerlofs Donia, a medieval pirate who raided Holland was around 7ft tall and is said to have wielded a sword around 7ft tall and weighed 6.6kg. But even Robert Wadlow, the recorded tallest man had an amazing mesured height of 8ft 11in just before his death. so as a model he would be like 80 to 90mm in height? So how would it really be out of proportion?

Homer Simpson

Zakkeg

All I said was that I'm afraid he'd look out of proportion. I'm by no means certain - it's just that those who are 7-8' tall tend to be built somewhat differently from the average person. So when you've got a mini of ordinary proportions that's just scaled up from all the others it's standing next to, the tendency is to trigger an "uncanny valley"-type effect, and the character will often end up looking out of place.

Note that I've deliberately shied away from making absolute statements above - we can't know for sure without a side-by-side comparison. And even if he does end up looking a bit off, you may be okay with that. I just wanted to point out the possibility and offer an alternative. If you don't share my concern, though, then by all means go with Sumothay. It's a great model; there's no denying that.
Only the insane have strength enough to prosper; only those who prosper may truly judge what is sane.

1337inquisitor

well anyway here me third char

Sergeant Morris "The Immortal" Zeist

Born in a middle class family on the world of Rarik, his life was mostly uninteresting until by imperial decree ordered for the making of an imperial guard regiment. He, his older brother Rikk and his father Cyrus who was already the head of PDF were all called for service. When he and his brother got to training they found that their drill instructor Grigor was nothing less than sadistic. He would constantly beat and berate cruelly the trainees particularly Rikk who would always fumble. They tried to tell their father but he would always be busy with preparations.

Morris then tried to make Rikk learn better but even though Rikk was making progress it still wasn't enough. One day when Rikk was field striping his lasrifle one of the parts went missing and the drill instructor then punished all of the trainees by making them march fifty kilometers in a particularly heavy rainstorm with full gear on.

After the march Morris then found his brother being beaten by the other trainees but did nothing to interfere as he didn't want to risk standing out. After that incident the drill instructor didn't even yell at Rikk anymore which Morris found to be odd. One night his brother got out of his bunk, Morris who was still awake followed him to discover his brother's dark secret. He found instructor and Rikk together having sex which only infuriated him. The next day he asked his brother what that all about and Rikk said "that it was the only way". Morris then viciously attacked Rikk beating him to near death before the instructor came in and the two began fighting.

Suddenly there was a shot fired and Rikk was lying dead with a laspistol in his mouth. A commissar with a section of troops broke up the fight. A disbelieving father kept Morris from being shot by a firing squad. After that incident Morris was sent to quagmire of different battlefields with each worse than the last turning him into this almost cold automaton who expresses no emotion. Now entering eightieth year of service to the guard he was nearing his retirement when he came onto the world of Cithon which was infested which daemons. One of the few to come out of the conflict with no mental issues. He was picked up by Inquisitor Rooklord who has since then pledged his service to.

WS    BS     ST     TG    IN    WP      SG      NV     LD      S
62    74     56     58    60    69      58      82     63      4

Equipment: Lasrifle with 3 reloads, Disposable Rocket launcher with Super Fragmentation missile and bayonet

Morris is Right handed

Special abilities: Force of Will, True grit, Rock Steady Aim

Homer Simpson

Flinty

Minor fluff quibble over Sgt Morris (nice background story); not sure that IG grunts serve for 80 years. I can imagine the odd vetran reaching retirement after 25 years or so, but it could only be the rear echelon types who could rack up more than that. I imagine rejuve treatments are strictly reserved for upper rank brass hats, war heros on recruitment campaigns and those dodgy Corporals who seem to get hold of everything.

But heigh ho, its a big universe.

Bit of a necro response, but..

QuoteA spear is good at dismounting a charging horse and keeping people at distance

Have I stumbled into a Witch Hunter thread?  :)
Not seen many mounted characters in Inquisitor (but, of course, they are out there somewhere), you can also dismount a rider and keep the (admittedly more sensible and lightly armoured) at bay with a las pistol. Im not entirely sure the close combat rules in Inquisitor are adequate at representing fending people off with a spear. Whilst I agree with your concept, I think the game mechanics might frustrate your execution - Id be interested to hear how it pans out in game play.

Neanderthal and Proud!

1337inquisitor

Quote from: Flinty on July 29, 2010, 07:40:47 AM
Minor fluff quibble over Sgt Morris (nice background story); not sure that IG grunts serve for 80 years. I can imagine the odd vetran reaching retirement after 25 years or so, but it could only be the rear echelon types who could rack up more than that. I imagine rejuve treatments are strictly reserved for upper rank brass hats, war heros on recruitment campaigns and those dodgy Corporals who seem to get hold of everything.
I wanted to base the character off of The Sergeant (yes that is the character name) from the film Big Red One who was played by Lee Marvin. Even though this is off topic a bit i suggest you watch that film it's really good. So my character as you could say is one of those emotionless old blood and guts army bastards.

But heigh ho, its a big universe.

Bit of a necro response, but..

QuoteA spear is good at dismounting a charging horse and keeping people at distance

Quote from: Flinty on July 29, 2010, 07:40:47 AM
Have I stumbled into a Witch Hunter thread?  :)
Not seen many mounted characters in Inquisitor (but, of course, they are out there somewhere), you can also dismount a rider and keep the (admittedly more sensible and lightly armoured) at bay with a las pistol. Im not entirely sure the close combat rules in Inquisitor are adequate at representing fending people off with a spear. Whilst I agree with your concept, I think the game mechanics might frustrate your execution - Id be interested to hear how it pans out in game play.

This is why armour and lots bravado was created

Homer Simpson

Flinty

Lee Marvin - you can't go wrong!

Now Ive got his version of ''I Was Born'' stuck in my head (which did add a wierd twist to my viewing of the Big Red One a bit ...)

And for our younger members who are not au fait with 70's musical westerns;
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XuEiwrISIiU&feature=PlayList&p=5F460AFA9CD68EE8&playnext=1&index=18

Im sure there's a version where he sang it less than sober...but I cant find it.

Edit: !&*%? link...
Neanderthal and Proud!

1337inquisitor

now fer me last char

Inquisitorial Operative Marius Rooklord

Born to Inquisitor Hastus Rooklord with his mother still remaining unknown to him and growing up in the arms of his father, Marius has only recently begun serving the Inquisition as an operative. Like that of his father he was also a latent psyker who is mastering his gifts under his father tutelage. In his first operation of infiltrating the dictatorship of Shangso he managed not only to gain their trust but steal many important documents which would be vital to the investigation and the capture of Shangso. His talents were then further noticed when he destroyed an expansive chaos cult on the world of Perigan Heights single handedly by killing leader and his cohort through well placed explosive charges that buried the traitorous men and women alive in their caves. Due to these actions Marius has attracted the attentions on several Inquisitors who see a promising acolyte in him.

WS             BS            ST          TG            IN          WP          SG          NV         LD          S
57               62            58           61              62           69           73           66           65           4

Equipment: Autogun with range finder and two reloads, Sword, Flak armour on all locations, Knife

Abilities: Gaze of Death, Telepathy, Distraction

Homer Simpson

RobSkib

How was he able to avoid detection by the Black Ships and other authorities who would want to kill a Rogue psyker on sight? Why does he use an autogun like an average thug when he appears to have above average powers? How does he avoid daemons from the warp pouring into his undereducated brain and ripping his soul out?
An Inquisitor walks into a bar - he rolls D100 to see if he hits it.
                                     +++++++
Gallery of my Inquisitor models here.

1337inquisitor

Quote from: RobSkib on July 30, 2010, 10:20:58 AM
How was he able to avoid detection by the Black Ships and other authorities who would want to kill a Rogue psyker on sight? How does he avoid daemons from the warp pouring into his undereducated brain and ripping his soul out?
I stated that he is the son of Inquisitor Hastus Rooklord (who will be a shadow character for now) who is also a potent psyker and he is training him how to control his powers and manipulate them.
Quote from: RobSkib on July 30, 2010, 10:20:58 AM
Why does he use an autogun like an average thug when he appears to have above average powers?
What kind of question is that? Like oh gee why not just give him a multi melta, power armour, frost blade and give him a special rule that says that he will not use any weapon that he deems to low class. but that might be a bit overpowered. (Five morphine shots later) Well to answer your question constructively why not? Also he is an operative who will go and infiltrate into hostile territory. i feel las weapons give off too much of an "Imperial" feel to them which would mean the difference of keeping his head on his shoulders.

Homer Simpson

MarcoSkoll

Quote from: 1337inquisitor on July 30, 2010, 10:39:16 AMWhat kind of question is that? Like oh gee why not give him a special rule that says that he will not use any weapon that he deems to low class.
No, that's not what Rob means.

He means: "Why does he use an autogun when he is a talented psyker?"
Why would someone who can kill people with a glance decide to encumber themselves with carrying an unnecessarily large and heavy weapon? Sure, a compact pistol for backup maybe, but why a hefty rifle?

Personally, my opinion is the more effective a character's psychic powers, the more they should be reliant on them.
That was the primary mistake I made with Renatus at the 2009 IGT - he wasn't dependent enough on his powers, meaning if you took them away, he was still a reasonably effective character. And that's why he got a complete rewrite/retcon/replacement into Maya.
S.Sgt Silva Birgen: "Good evening, we're here from the Adeptus Defenestratus."
Captain L. Rollin: "Nonsense. Never heard of it."
Birgen: "Pick a window. I'll demonstrate".

GW's =I= articles

1337inquisitor

But again that still like asking the question which was said before "Why use melee when you got a gun." but what i'm getting at is still, why not have a gun like how librarians have bolt/plasma weapons when they could just use their psyker skills? Anyway he isn't a fully trained psyker so still he could use a gun.

Homer Simpson

RobSkib

True, but librarians also wear full suits of power armour, weild bolt pistols and plasma weaponry and are, above all else, Space Marines. For the same reason that 99.9% of 40k archetypes shouldn't be used in Inquisitor as they belong on a battlefield, we'll leave the reasoning of "I'm doing it because a Space Marine does it" behind.

What I'm saying is that Gaze of Death and the Autogun are functionally identical. I don't have a problem with characters using weapons that break the mould, but why give him two weapons that are so similar to each other? It would be like giving him a hand flamer, a flamethrowing psychic power and making all his melee attacks flaming - it might be characterful, but it doesn't give the model a lot of tactical flexibility on the board.

How about looking into some other Telepathy skills instead of Gaze of Death? Enforce Will would fit him very nicely, and gives him plenty of scope for interesting outcomes on the tabletop - making characters throw their weapons off buildings, shoot their teammates in the back, shout really loudly to make their presence known to the large angry mutant, the possibilities are limited only by your creativity. I would also give him a definite 'acolyte' feel to him, rather than 'grunt with psychic bolt attack'.
An Inquisitor walks into a bar - he rolls D100 to see if he hits it.
                                     +++++++
Gallery of my Inquisitor models here.

MarcoSkoll

Quote from: 1337inquisitor on July 30, 2010, 11:59:47 AM...why not have a gun like how librarians have bolt/plasma weapons when they could just use their psyker skills?
Space Marines are made up of massive redundancies. Two hearts, three lungs, several weapons. Take away an item from a Space Marine, and they can find another way to be (very) dangerous. As RobSkib says, a character class (even without introducing Librarians) that is known to absolutely dominate Inquisitor is hardly a good precedent.

Inquisitor characters shouldn't really include redundancies unless you can explain why they're justified - they remove potential weaknesses, and those are an important part of the game.

Simple example of a redundancy: Lyra Rhodes carries both a magnum revolver (her main ranged weapon), and a concealable stubber (the redundancy).
Reason for redundancy: She's an Inquisitor. Most Inquisitors are paranoid enough that carrying a small "emergency" weapon is probably the norm - small both so that it's less likely to be found and that it isn't such a hindrance that it's no longer worth carrying for the small chance that it'll be needed.

It is also a minor redundancy, as the stubber is a considerably inferior alternative to the revolver. The end result (at least in my opinion) is a characterful and well reasoned addition that is unlikely to detract from gameplay.

In my opinion, "why not" and the similar "because he/she can" are pretty poor answers for why a character design choice was made.

As RobSkib suggests, I'd either replace Gaze of Death with more indirect telepathy, or swap the autogun for something that conflicts less with the power.
S.Sgt Silva Birgen: "Good evening, we're here from the Adeptus Defenestratus."
Captain L. Rollin: "Nonsense. Never heard of it."
Birgen: "Pick a window. I'll demonstrate".

GW's =I= articles