Main Menu

News:

If you are having problems registering, please e-mail theconclaveforum at gmail.com

Inquisitor Thaddeus M Morgathikhai (Currently just ideas for modelling)

Started by Ynek, August 14, 2009, 12:56:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ynek

Some of you might remember that a few months ago, I posted the first draft of my Ordo Astartes inquisitor's rules and background on the old conclave.

Well, I've finally been freed from my broken-wrist cast, I'm beginning to get the dexterity back in my right hand, and I'm feeling that it's about time that I made a start on this Inquisitor.

However, I'm not sure exactly what path I should take with this idea.

The idea that keeps coming into my head is of a man dressed in simple, but very formal clothing, with only the subtlest of iconography. Perhaps a singular purity seal (probably written/signed by a very high ranking member of the ecclesiarchy or a famous inquisitor lord) and perhaps a small Inquisitorial "I" symbol embroidered into the breast of  his shirt. I'm imagining something similar to the Star Trek uniforms (in the fact that they're very simple. I thought that I could gothic it up a little by raising the collar, dulling the colour scheme and adding a traveller's cloak). However, in spite of their apparent simplicity, these clothes would be lovingly cleaned, ironed, and kept in mint condition. This would present the Astartes with an image of a man who was not so absorbed in his own vanity as to clad himself in the finest of clothes and dress like he was better than everyone else. Also, the fact that he kept his clothing in such good condition would show a more dutiful and meticulous side. The simple icons on his uniform would show that he defines himself by his office, not by any other factor. Also, the icons would help to remind people of the order he represents, and would make them think twice about doing anything foolish to him. His armour, of course, would probably be concealed beneath his clothes, but it would probably be custom-made, lightweight, thin armour designed to go unnoticed beneath an apparently normal garb. The idea behind this is that if he wore the armour on the outside, a marine wouldn't look at him and think: "Why's he wearing armour? Does he expect a fight?" And then immediately go on the defensive, which would not do any favours for negociation or diplomacy. Similarly, if Thaddeus went in wearing baggy clothing to conceal armour, the marines might think: "What's he hiding?" Again, not good. The idea behind this lightweight, thin armour would be that it would offer him acceptable protection, whilst at the same time, remaining virtually unnoticeable beneath his clothing.

The mental image I have is of an aging, but still viable man immaculately dressed and standing in an appropriately formal stance.

I was just wondering what everyone else thought of such an idea? Am I going in completely the wrong direction in this, or do the above ideas sound appropriate for a member of the Ordo Astartes? The existence of the OA is debated fiercely in various forums, but the particulars of how they would act, dress etc are rarely discussed and I thought it might be a good idea to get some input from the other conclavers before I started on anything concrete.
"Somehow, Inquisitor, when you say 'with all due respect,' I don't think that you mean any respect at all."

"I disagree, governor. I think I am giving you all of the respect that you are due..."

Kaled

Spock does sound like a good option, he has the uniform and pose you were looking for, and he's easy to 40k-ify.  When I used that model I ended up cutting about 4-5mm out of the top of his legs as he looked very tall alongside my other characters.

Andrea also do Picard and Kirk models if you fancied a different style of Star Trek uniform...
I like to remember things my own way... Not necessarily the way they happened.

Inquisitor - Blood Bowl - Malifaux - Fairy Meat

Molotov

Thanks for pointing those models out, Kaled. Some interesting food for thought there!
INQ28 Thread | INQ28 Blog
INQ28, done properly, is at least the equal of its big brother - and Mol is one of the expert proponents of "done properly".
- precinctomega

Inquisitor Cade

Is he ageing because he is getting too old for rejuve treatement, because he doesn't use it or because he only uses the performance restoring side rather than the cosmetic side, in order to apear vunerable and unthreatening to marines. What does he carry in the way of weapons if he has nowhere to hide them?
*Insert token witticism*

Ynek

Quote from: Kaled on August 14, 2009, 03:35:27 PM
Spock does sound like a good option
Hmm. The idea of using the spock model does sound tempting. It would certainly be a lot easier than the scratch-sculpting route, which I seem very keen on using these days. I guess I'm just itching for the practice after being released from my plaster cast.

It's certainly something for me to ponder on...

Quote from: Inquisitor Cade on August 14, 2009, 06:14:23 PM
Is he ageing because he is getting too old for rejuve treatement, because he doesn't use it or because he only uses the performance restoring side rather than the cosmetic side, in order to apear vunerable and unthreatening to marines. What does he carry in the way of weapons if he has nowhere to hide them?

The main reason that he's aging is because he's over 250 years old, meaning that he's now at the stage where old age will catch up with him regardless of rejuv techniques. He's probably middle-aged, by the standards of the Imperial elite.

As far as weapons go, his primary weapon was an implanted micro-needler, which was surgically implanted into the flesh of his left hand. It fires little slivers of adamantium that are impregnated with a powerful anti-marine toxin called X3, which circumvents normal detoxifying methods. When exposed to detoxifying catalysts, the X3 toxin molecule simply splits into two and then regrows the missing part in a manner not unlike that of DNA multiplying. Therefore, it is incredibly potent against Space Marines, but virtually harmless to the average man.

He also carried a small, ceremonial powerblade and laspistol, but these would be courteously handed in to the relevant individuals before any negotiations would actually take place.
"Somehow, Inquisitor, when you say 'with all due respect,' I don't think that you mean any respect at all."

"I disagree, governor. I think I am giving you all of the respect that you are due..."