Main Menu

News:

If you are having problems registering, please e-mail theconclaveforum at gmail.com

A few questions about bodygloves

Started by Gravestench, August 06, 2010, 10:39:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gravestench

From what I have gathered so far, the "Bodyglove" seems to be the preferred working uniform of assassins both of the various death cults and the officio assassinorum. What I'd like to know is: does anybody know what they are made of and how easily they are available ?

My guess is that they are only available on the more technically advanced worlds, but I may be wrong. A death cult assassin living on a feudal world would probably have to settle for something else until he is hired by a inquisitor, who might provide him with a bodyglove to ensure maximum stealthiness.

I know this might seem a odd thing to ask about, but I thought I might ask around as it is revelant to one of the character I am working on.

Thank you for your time ^_^

Shannow

Welcome to the Conclave :)

I would say that bodygloves (which I think can also be called synskins as a broad term), are probably more advanced than a feudal world but only in special properties that might affect light absorbed reflected, toxin resistance etc; as I imagine that on a feudal world a tight leather bodyglove could still be made that maximises flexibility and silence as well.

If it is just that kind of tight minimalist bodyglove you are after than I would say its ok, but obviously an inquissitor may upgrade it to a synskin (which is I think an actual extra layer of artificial skin) which may have inbuilt filter, body temp regulators, light fields and all sorts of wizardry.

Rob

I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tanhauser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain.

Time to die.

Zakkeg

Synskin has very little to do with body gloves (see LRB, p. 80). Body gloves, as I understand them, are simply form-fitting one piece suits.
Only the insane have strength enough to prosper; only those who prosper may truly judge what is sane.

Shannow

Saying synskin could be a broad term is probably not what I should have said...

However I have definitely read of reference to callidus assassins using synskins that are specially modified allowing them to appear as other races and generally blend in and look inconspicuous, so I imagine that a synskin could be used as an upgrade to body glove beyond the very minimalist description that the rule book uses.

Having looked at my post I probably should have made my references clear :P

Now to look for where I read that,,,,and if I am unable to find,,,,slowly insert foot in mouth.....

Rob
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tanhauser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain.

Time to die.

Zakkeg

The Callidus temple may well use modified synskin, but it's got very little to do with their ability to blend in...
Only the insane have strength enough to prosper; only those who prosper may truly judge what is sane.

Shannow

Well I imagine it does if it enables them to look like entirely different people not to mention species. No need to be belittling btw.

Time to die.

Zakkeg

Sorry; didn't mean to come off that way. I only intended to point out that polymorphine has a lot more to do with their disguise capabilities than synskin ever could.

Flinty

Humm...I think bodygloves are preferred as female models always sell better than male ones; Im sure Sevorina etc sold more than (the now admittedly OOP) Callidus assassin ever did. Cynicism aside, as Shannow suggested, Im sure bodygloves could be made on virtually any world; in gaming terms, Im not sure they would necessarily add to a stat line or alter rolls if they are just skin tight clothing.   

Essentially, I dont think there is any cannon that dictates what a bodysuit is/does - leaving you free to make up a set of stats/rules for whatever you had in mind.

(I understand Polymorphine to be a very advanced drug/surgical implant treatment under the strict control of the assassin temples)
Neanderthal and Proud!

DapperAnarchist

Dark Heresy and Rogue Trader both discuss Bodygloves, with specific rules for them, but I think where they first appeared may have been Necromunda (perhaps also WH40K:RT, but I'm certain about Necromunda) - the Van Saars wear them.
Questions are a burden to others, answers a burden to oneself.

The Keltani Subsector  My P&M Thread - Most recent, INQ28!

TheNephew

I'd always pictured bodygloves being somewhere between a Star Trek uniform and Sam Fisher's outfit - really just a functional, close-fitting, probably one-piece suit.
Optional extras include enough clips and slings to carry an armoury with, and room for flak/mesh/ceramic plates to be incorporated.

Xeno Major

Forgive me if I'm wrong or if you all hate Abnett, but aren't bodygloves used a ton in the Ravenor and Eisenhorn books? As in, thugs in the underhive of Eustis Majoris have them?

Given, they are probably way less advanced, but the basic premise remains the same: a skintight unisuit that functions as clothing with optional accessories. Accessories being temp regulators, lights, armor attachments, etc, etc...
_____     _____
        \   /
-------}{-------
_____/   \_____

Lucidum

In Dan Abnett's first Ravener novel, several of his cohort are mentioned as wearing synskin (although i think I remember it being spelled Synthskin or synth-skin instead), that came in a variety of different styles, colours, and textures, and was regarded as a fairly commonplace form of dress on hive and imperial civilized worlds.

Nash

I admit I don't have much to back that up, but I've always been under the impression that bodyglove just meant "tight fitting clothes", regardless of the actual material and/or armor value... It can refer to both "spandex-style" costumes and to close-fitting body armour (for lack of a better example, like those worn by most guys in the horrible movie G.I.Joe)...

However syn(th)skin is a material, with the same general qualities as skin, which is normally used to patch wounds (very likely the reason for which is was invented) and sometimes, in a slightly different variant, to cover one's whole body. It is sprayed on... For lack of a better example, imagine someone sprayed all over with a few millimeters-thick coat of (black) latex, and it'd be what someone wearing syn(th)skin would look like...

Thus the big difference between a bodyglove and synthskin would be the fact that synthskin sticks to one's skin while a bodyglove is merely a tight-fitting costume.

precinctomega

"Bodyglove" = "jump suit"

Like jump suits they come in all shapes, colours and types, from high-tech to high fashion.  The main difference is that a bodyglove is usually seen as only barely outerwear, more normally being worn under additional outer clothing.  Wearing a bodyglove alone would be a bit like going out in a swimming costume or running shorts: not exactly indecent, per se, but a bit odd except in particular circumstances.

Bodygloves may be armoured or unarmoured, colourful or camouflaged, zipped, buttoned or sprayed on from a can.  They may be churned out at three for a penny from the local manufactorum or custom-tailored with a host of additional features.

They are as ubiquitous as underwear and cultures in which bodygloves do not feature as common clothing would be considered as peculiar to the average Imperial citizen as a culture without underwear would to us*.

R.