Main Menu

News:

If you are having problems registering, please e-mail theconclaveforum at gmail.com

Scenery Project

Started by Shannow, July 27, 2010, 06:36:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shannow

The inside is far from done Rob you'll be glad to hear :), but Gav has promised me some goodies to go in there, so I don't want to progress till I get my hands on those!

Similarly I plan to have various bits of metal bolted to the outside my the gang that uses it so I will probably add some at the top for cover (though gangers are not notoriously smart I would assume :P), and I'm planning on painting the front a rusted blue, but then having the gang graffiti it, perhaps with a Joker style smile or something similar. Or is that too cliched?

Its also good incentive to make a gang for generic use! Hmmm plan...plan...plan...plan....

Rob

Ps - @ Myriad - the bulb doesn't I'm afraid and even then it just attached to a beam in my attic!

EDIT: Having had a play, a thought that popped into my head would be to cut the battlement for the top into the shape of a jagged crown, sort of a 'we are king here' statement. Too much? Too silly? Answers on a postcard! Though they'd be more useful on here...
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tanhauser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain.

Time to die.

RobSkib

Gang for generic use, you say?

I direct lift from the joker's smile would be a bit cliche, but there's no reason why you can't be inspired by it to do something similar!
An Inquisitor walks into a bar - he rolls D100 to see if he hits it.
                                     +++++++
Gallery of my Inquisitor models here.

Shannow

I was meaning more like white teeth on the vent at the bottom with maybe a light red drybrush? Any particular suggestion you have for the rest of the head would be great, not really done scenery before so ideas are not coming easily or quickly!

Rob
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tanhauser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain.

Time to die.

RobSkib

Best thing to do then is not worry about excess decoration. Speaking from experience, as soon as you have a piece of scenery, it gets written into EVERY game you ever have until you grow bored of it and make some more! With this in mind, you might not want to paint it to look like an inflatable clown head and go for a more contemporary colour scheme.

You will however, find the whole thing a lot easier to paint the more details you have on it. Seems counter-intuitive, but when you come to paint it, it'll make sense. The more rivets, supporting beams, pipes, dials, switches, knobs, plates, do-hickeys, spikes, wires, levers and what-nots you have glued to your central structure, be it a piece of interestingly-shaped polystyrene, cardboard packaging or in this case, motorbike helmet, the easier it'll be to paint.

Ask anyone who has slaved over mountains of scenery, having different textures and pieces under the brush makes the whole drybrushing experience a lot easier and enjoyable, as drybrushing a perfectly sheen surface in your case is going to be a total headache. Rivets, beams and supporting do-dads will break up the surface and give you a much more pleasing finish.
An Inquisitor walks into a bar - he rolls D100 to see if he hits it.
                                     +++++++
Gallery of my Inquisitor models here.

Shannow

Thanks for all the pointers Rob, appreciate them a lot :) have added some cover to the turret as well as some chain and a few other bits to the overall head to give it a less flat appearance, haven't finished but I have run out of bits that would look good stuck to it!

Rob

Time to die.