Main Menu

News:

If you are having problems registering, please e-mail theconclaveforum at gmail.com

Mohauk's OOC Thread

Started by Mohauk, August 16, 2009, 06:55:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mohauk

Apologies for the necromancy, both here and in the IC thread. But I've decided to continue my old solo writing, for a bit anyway.

The Daemonologist was a somewhat rambling look at daemons and similar stuff, built around one story (that of Achan Kolec the daemonologist) but including various scraps and other smaller stories. I actually wrote a second section to the other small story I started in the thread (the one with the mirror-room) which I was quite proud of, but I lost that when my old PC burnt and died. Anyway, at the moment I feel more inclined to focus on the central story.

I'd beg anyone reading this to give it a go. It is wordy and the plot can seem opaque at first, but I count it one of my best 'detective' style plot ideas, and hopefully when all the little pieces of the puzzles (both the short term investigation of the sleep-plague, and the long term mystery about Kolec's recurring vision (see the latest post)) are put together it should be good, I hope.

Anyway, I'm very tired and both this post and the latest installment of the story were written in an unedited blur, so apologies for their wanderingness and possible lack of quality.

MM
And the Raven, never flitting, still is sitting, still is sitting...

Kallidor

The post didn't seem long to me, you could easily have written some more I think.

The process of recalling the vision and how it appears is well described I thought, put in mine of a typical dream where you're in it but it does have a way of pulling you to where it wants you to be, even a lucid dream can sometimes have a feeling or pre-determined action and I liked that the vision portrays that effect, gives it a sense of realism.

The only quibble I have is an entirely personal one. He says the Imperial Guard manuals name the type of daemon but I personally, hold to old background that has daemons and the true nature of Chaos as a closely guarded secret but then so many of the novels et cetera ignore that it hardly seems worth mentioning. Even so, you could say it was tomes or some such held by the Ordo Malleus that name the daemon.

Nice to see you returning to this and I feel your pain about the computer, oura has just developed the dreaded blue screen of death and if I can't fix it all my stuff will be gone too and a lot more besides than just stories. I look forward to the next installment  ;D
Be Pure!
Be Vigilant!
BEHAVE!

Mohauk

Very good point about the IG manual. It was one of those things where I was writing on autopilot and not really thinking, so when the little voice in my head said 'really?' I just ignored it because I didn't have the energy to think up an appropriate alternative.

Perhaps 'Escolus pamphlets' (the Escolus being a previously-mentioned bit of pseudo-terminology for whatever institution trained Kolec as a daemonologist). I'm shying away from 'tomes' and the like because I hate the cliches of Inquisitor fanfic and perhaps my least favourite is that everything is written in huge, dusty, leather-bound volumes. We have to remember that lots of the stuff that is arcane and exotic for us would seem part of everyday life for our characters, and therefore may not necessarily be written in 'ancient books'. In fact, I rather like to think that what we would read from dusty books they read from manuals and leaflets and vice-versa. Technology being the ideal example - computers are as arcane and ancient and terrifying to them as daemons and sorcerors are to us.

Kallidor

That a very good point actually, with crystal stacks seemingly at the pinnacle of data storage so anything truly old and important will be on something like that. Sounds good to me and something I will have to remember in future  8)
Be Pure!
Be Vigilant!
BEHAVE!

Mohauk

New post. Not the most important phase of the plot - this one essentially leads to the next, which is crucial both for the short term investigation and the longer development of Kolec and Tyaernya's personal mysteries.

Sorry I haven't done a lot of reading of other peoples' stuff yet. I will get around to reading and commenting, I promise.

MM

Kallidor

I thin the benefit if the first person can be seen quite clearly in this post, giving us the acolyte's (I forgot his name and couldn't find it skimming the whole thread) perception of other people, it gives a nice insight into him as a person and I find that often a first person narrative doesn't always achieve that. The mix of old and advanced technologies brought out the 40K atmosphere nicely too.
Be Pure!
Be Vigilant!
BEHAVE!

Inquisitor Sargoth

I go and holiday and the Daemonologist resumes? Typical.

I liked the vision of the Bloodletter a lot - they're usually among the least horrifying daemons despite being among the most dangerous, so your blood-slick portrayal was a true pleasure to behold. Glad to see the plot chugging along and I can only hope you're able to continue this, at least until university resumes and steals all our free time once again.
One More Hit - A tale of addiction.