Main Menu

News:

If you are having problems registering, please e-mail theconclaveforum at gmail.com

The Price of Devotion OOC - New RP RECRUITING

Started by Fallen Angel, August 12, 2010, 09:27:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fallen Angel

Ahh Koval and his obsession for funny links that confuse me for hours at a time :-) . Don't worry buddy I was only joking, as I said, there will be time for tangents if you want them, you could easily even tie them into the main plot. Seriously though what's with the 40KO stuff? Is it good on there I heard much of the writing was pretty dubious at best...suppose I should check it out for myself though.

Koval

I'll say nothing for the quality of other authors there, but it's just another forum I frequent, and it's somewhere I felt I'd get a readership above and beyond the usual suspects.

Fallen Angel

Yea true the I suppose new eyes on the material is an advantage! But anyway we digress!  :)

Everyone's brief should be with them by Monday evening. If characters do stray a bit to far from the plot I will PM them a reminder.

Heroka Vendile

I'll first note that I can't have any real involvement until the end of next week or so, far too busy with real life. After that should be clear to participate fully.

Name: Solios Sabrataur
Affiliation: Ordo Hereticus

Appearance:
5'10", lanky build. Stern features with a number of old scars on the right side of his face, his right eye has been replaced by a bionic situated wholly within the empty socket. He has electoos of tribal patterns on the backs of his hands that can change into imperial eagles, skulls, or a copy of his rosette on mental command. Short brown hair and clean-shaven face.

Beliefs:
Pious and devout, but not an idiot or a puritanical firebrand.
Holds true to the Inquisitorial principle of being able to give orders to anyone and sequester any items - people are just tools to get the job done, and if they aren't up to the job, then they get replaced.

Personality:
Cold, brutal whenever necessary, but generally calm and quite, observing from the background whenever possible, trying to ensure anything he says is perfectly pitched to the situation.
Will readily use the approach best suited to the situation, be it subterfuge or blowing things up dramatically.
A man of few words unless provoked. Most of his team are little more than assets to be used, although he does ensure to develop a report with each of them - finding it helps ensure loyalty.
Originating from a mining colony on a dead world, he still finds large bodies of water an unsettling sight.

Attire & Equipment:
Has a white half-face mask for the left side of his face that he sometimes wears - to give the impression that if he is willing to show the many scars and replaced eye on the right side of his face, then the left must be even worse (when it in fact unharmed).
His formal attire is typical of many imperial high societies galaxy-wide, being a form of officers uniform styling with added gaudiness and the addition of a hooded Sabretusk fur cloak.
His combat clothing is similar to that of an Arbites Judge, but in all white with bare metal carapace armour and armoured gauntlets. The exception being the chest piece of the carapace armour, which is in a Romanesque style and blue & black colouring.
Favours the use of a bolt pistol, mostly because of it's devastating impact and also the shock effect when drawn in polite company. Keeps a backup laspistol and has a shock maul.

Associates:
Maj Or'Dorious
Former guardsman, mercenary, pirate and penal legionnaire. Or'Dorious is a man with the luck of the galaxy on his side, at least when it comes to fighting. Has a habit of introducing himself to strangers by his fully name, resulting in most people misinterpreting it as "Major Dorious", an assumption he does nothing to prevent, resulting in the nickname "the Major" from colleagues. Grim, determined and good with any gun, Or'Dorious is the Inquisitors muscle.

Lex "Runty" Noris
A former acquisitions auditor in the Administratum, Noris is the man the inquisitor employs to acquire anything anything they need to source locally, as well as being a useful foot in the door with any administrative officials they deal with. Despite having been in charge of precisely 372 other officials during his Administratum days, has the curious habit of calling everyone Sir or Madam. His nickname was give to him by Or'Dorious due to his hunched posture and wiry body, hidden by bulky robes.

Jalia Pessil
Actress, con-artist, charlatan, socialite and Sabrataurs on-off lover. Stunningly beautiful, well busted, trim figure and with long blonde hair. A match in height to the inquisitor, Pessil is as devout a worshipper of the Emperor as him, yet has a charming and roguish streak to her that counterbalances his often cold and ruthless manner. She is perhaps the only person in the galaxy in whom the inquisitor confides, perhaps because of their chalk & cheese personalities.
Generally ensures she has the latest couture fashion of their current location to wear. She is also able to parrot accents and learn new languages with great ease.

Tobias "Gramps" Flint
A former fighter pilot who slipped through the gears of the imperial war machine to find himself in early retirement at the age of forty, despite having been a good pilot and on the cards to join his old academy as a trainer. Eventually found his way into the Inquisitors employ, Sabrataur finding that having your own dedicated pilot to call upon being very useful. His nickname of Gramps is another given by Or'Dorious, this time due to Flints' head of grey hair and weather-beaten features.

Vern & West Brenholm
Originating from the upper classes of the planet Yanola, these identical twins were trained from a young age for life as officers in the planets imperial guard regiments - but instead ended up running away for adventures of their own.
Now 27, the pair have experienced plenty of combat since first joining the Inquisitor and have put their prior training to good use. They're handsome men and average height for their planet at 5'4", West chooses to have a neatly trimmed beard to differentiate between them, although Vern has a long scar across his forehead, so it is hardly necessary.
Despite their luxurious past lives, they now both favour highly practical unmarked military attire, while both tend to carry lasgun, autopistol and chainsword in combat.
It's all fun and games until someone shoots their own guy with a Graviton gun instead of the MASSIVE SPIDER.
The Order of Krubal
Rewards Of The Enemy

Jarrik32

Ah the sliding scale of mortality, one of my favourite pet hates when watching action movies...
On a serious note please no (obvious) forced deaths or mortality scales please, I don't mind either my (or others characters) being whacked if it serves a purpose e.g. dying in the middle of a firefight from a (un)-lucky shot is fine with me, being ripped in half by a lictor which promptly disappears never to be seen again is not... Seriously for example Sgt. Jarrik is a veteran with decades of experience under his belt and has personally dispatched everything from Chaos space marine to a tyranid warrior as well as somehow survived massacres where casualties have hit 95% it's a bit of a let down if he gets whacked by the scourge of the underworld. On the other hand it only takes a single bullet to make that all moot.

Another question is when is this RP set? 233.M41? 899.M41? or is it indeterminate?

Also how much flexibility is there going to be when it comes to individual concerns e.g. Inquisitor Devis is fairly well known for his radical streak and more puritan characters aren't going to like having him around, especially as he has something of a reputation for fratricide (Devis has already 'dealt' with one particularly narrow minded monodominist who objected to his methods, as well as a pair of Horusians who were 'irredemably tainted'). About the only thing that has kept him from being excommunicated out of principle are his results and the fact that nobody really liked Cyrus anyway.

It'd be hilarious for example for example if Inquisitor Johms response to him walking into a is to pull out a shotgun.

P.s. Koval, what is 40KO?
We stand as one.

MarcoSkoll

Actually, as this has been kicked, my reckoning is that it's Friday evening*, so my brief was supposed to arrive four days ago. Has the astropathic transmission been lost in the Warp, or has it not been sent yet?

*I live two days in the future. This way I can surprise people on forums by telling them tomorrow's news.

Quote from: Jarrik32 on August 18, 2010, 10:59:55 PMAnother question is when is this RP set? 233.M41? 899.M41? or is it indeterminate?
I've assumed "Standard Conclave" - which is determined by adding 39000 years to the real world date, so currently M42.010

If not, then as this is a one off character, it's not too bad, I can shift the dates I used in the background.

QuoteP.s. Koval, what is 40KO?
40K Online. It's another forum.

Using another forum of course makes him a heretical radical, but it is the Inquisition's diversity that gives it its strength, so he can live... for now.
S.Sgt Silva Birgen: "Good evening, we're here from the Adeptus Defenestratus."
Captain L. Rollin: "Nonsense. Never heard of it."
Birgen: "Pick a window. I'll demonstrate".

GW's =I= articles

Inquisitor Kravin

For your consideration please find enclosed, Inquisitor Kravens one time only, two for the price off one deal!

Names: Inquisitor Curtes and Simo Grim
Affiliations: Ordo Hereticus
Ages: 112 and 117 respectively.

Appearance.

Curtes Grim.
5.10, strong build but not bulky. Curtes has a handsome, though somewhat weathered face, with deep set eyes, and defined cheek bones. A constant five o'clock shadow decorates his face. Appearing in his mid thirty Curtes face is constantly adorn with a playful and some might say quite annoying smirk. Curtes appears to sweat self confidence and a rather interesting aura of boredom, even when at the heart of a gun fight.

Clothing wise Curtes is always clad in form fitting black combat trousers and top, black gloves also, the only skin visible is on his face. This outfit is designed to keep the wearer cool, it is also highly flame resistant. Over this Curtes wears a dull grey flak jacket of high quality, able to turn back most projectiles, similar flack also protects his shines, thighs, wrists and upper arms.

Wears a very long, black leather trench coat, with a dull grey pattern around the edges. Useful for hiding his weapons.

He is also very armed.

Simo Grim
6.3, tall but slender, Simo appears almost Serpent like, made of wiry muscle normally moving with a slow deliberate manner that betrays his ability to move with complete suddenness. Simo's head is completely covered by a black gas mask with large, glass, rounded, black tinted eye guards, making seeing his face impossible. This is a good thing to since, unlike his brother, years of combat and rebuilding his damaged body has caught up on Simo Grim. His face is pale, chemical wash white and covered in scar tissue, both his eyes have been replaced with implants, making them appear as round, red glowing orbs. His noise has been destroyed, replaced by two slits and his ears removed and replaced by small golden augments.

Dressed the same as his brother only without the trench coat, his outfit is more form fitting, revealing tense, defined muscle.

He always carry s a very, very large rifle, easily almost as long as he is tall, normally loving wrapped in leather and strung on his back.

Personality's/Combat Prowess

Curtes
Cool, arrogant and cunning. Curtes tends to walk into situations of intense danger with the same attitude one might walk into his living room. Curtes is no fool however, careful to tip every situation to his advantage before combat is joined and always prepared with a back up plan. Curtes enjoys the thrill of the chase, hunting heretic through great hives is his pleasure, the final confrontation his climax.

Devout in his belief to the Emperor but rarely vocal on it, Curtes believes that carrying the Emperors words in his heart and doing his will, is enough and view Puritans as foolish.

Curtes has a liking for combat and violence, in the same way he has a liking for the occasional drink or bad story. Enjoyable, yes, but something to be enjoyed in moderation, as such he normally opts for quick and decisive assassinations over drawn out encounters.

In combat he favours pistols, able to draw faster than most Guardsmen can pull a trigger and enjoys the spray and pray approch to combat, his two custom fully automatic Las Pistols are attatched to a battery pack hiden behind his large coat. When theses are completed he tends to uses a large, single action revolver, devastating and accurate.

Close Combat Curtes is a master with the power knife. Easily finding his way into most foes guards, even those with long swords. Normally aiming to wound and disarm, Curtes has been known to show some over confidence in this area.

Simo

Simo rarely speaks and when he does, its normally a threat. Often described as his brothers shadow Simo gives the impression of a cold and calculated killer, which is exactly what he is. When he does speak his voice is deep and threatening, gruff to a default. He likes to hang back during meetings and let Curtes speak and to not be seen at all in combat.

During combat Simo is rarely seen, normally he is gracing a high building some distance away, watching over his brother as he hunts, vigilantly watching over his brother. His accuracy with his long rifle is unmatched and can kill moving targets through windows with little difficulty.

If forced into close combat, Simo normally opting to uses his devastating Plasma pistol to end combat quickly and leave any survivor's in such a state of shock and awe that he can pull back and disappearing, using his impressive climbing skills to gain the high ground again.

In Close Combat Simo needs no weapon, his body has been augmented so often his strength is truly terrifying, able to pull men apart if they get into his grasp.

Background

When there home world off Termata Beta (A small barren world, with little resources fell) the brothers Grim, at the time only 10 and 15 respectively, set about fighting the chaos forces that had over run there world. Join the guerilla fighters who faced down the invading chaos forces with hit and run attacks and startling brutality. The two quickly gain the nickname “The Grim Reapers” as they racked up kills with vicious speed, taking to collecting teeth as trophy's. Both raised devoutly faithful to the God Emperor but with a common sense that defied Martyrdom, the two became experts at doing maxim in killing there hated enemy and living to tell the tale. Throughout this time, Simo protected his brother aggressively.

Due to the low priority of Termata Beta the chaos occupation continued for 10 long years. When Imperial forces finally freed the plant Inquisitor Kraven was so impressed with the deadly pair he took them into his unit. The two having lost there parents where quick to join and embraces the life. Soon Kraven took them both under his wing as Interrogators. By the age off 35 and 40 respectively they where both named Inquisitors in a joint ceremony. Since then the two have become effective tools of Inquisition. Especial effective at hunting down fleeing foes and dealing with them quickly and ruthlessly.

They now travel together, on the small, light frigate named “The Killing Dawn”.

Weapons

Curtes
Two Custom Master work fully automatic las pistols attatched to a battery pack.
Mars Pattern Revolver, heavily customised and one off a kind, named “Heather”

Power knife

Simo
High Power, Semi Automatic Sniper Rifle. Heavily customised, with a site that links with Simo's fake eyes. Uses 7 50cal solid rounds. Armour piercing, Explosive or anti personnel options.

Plasma Pistol

Heavy Augmentations, greatly heightened strength and vision, hearing normal. No sense of smell.

Quotes

Curtes

“I have a guardian Angel, one with a sniper rifle”

“I've been hunting you for months and you aren't even armed? Disappointing.”

Simo

“The last man who swore at me had his teeth removed. Bare this in mind before you continue talking”

“Boom...head shot.”
Redemption can be found at the end off a bolter pistol.

Inquisitor Kravin

Wow, thats long...appologies, I need to make my writing more snappy, but yeah theres my pair. Thought I'd try something a little different, they work together, no backing staff, sept a skeleton crew on there frigate. If you dont like the double Inquisitor idea. I could maybe dream something new up.

MarcoSkoll

Quote from: Inquisitor Kravin on August 18, 2010, 11:52:45 PMWow, thats long...
Pah, you call 1100-1200 words long? I posted that much about one character further up the thread (even if you don't include the section where I describe her allies), and I consider that pretty short for one of my characters.

GW's =I= articles

Inquisitor Kravin

Oh...well...urrrr...its long for me and my rather simple mind.

MarcoSkoll

Anyway, I feel inspired to write some critique, so...

Quote from: Inquisitor Kravin on August 18, 2010, 11:46:14 PMIn combat he favours pistols, able to draw faster than most Guardsmen can pull a trigger and is quick to empty any clip. As such he carry s multiple duel pistols, stropped to his body. Its faster to draw new guns than reload.
Two things. Firstly, my standard clip =/= Magazine pedantry.

Secondly, I have to admit to hating the "throw-away guns" thing with an absolute passion. Mostly because the cost and weight of another pistol is hugely more than that associated with another magazine. Yeah, I suppose an Inquisitor can get away with the cost, but the weight remains an issue even for them.
In my mind, it's a particularly silly trope with laspistols, as they could easily be fed by a power cable not unlike a smaller version of what you get with Storm Trooper hell-weapons.

Also, an important question. Duel (as in a fight normally portrayed in media as two people, ten paces, turn and fire), or dual (as in a pair/brace of pistols)? Two very different things.

QuoteWhen theses are completed he tends to uses a large, single action revolver, devastating and accurate.
Well, that seems... very contradictory. He's gone from weapons which he's emptying so quickly that he throws them away to save time over reloading - to a much slower to fire and reload weapon.

It's a pretty jarring switch to suggest, the idea he goes from being "Trigger Happy McBlamBlam" to taking carefully considered and precise shots.

Quote"Boom...head shot."
Oh, come on. How horribly cliché a sniper archetype are we going for here?

GW's =I= articles

Fallen Angel

Hi Kravin,

I like your characters very much, there are some interesting quirks that Marco has constructively pointed out. However I'm not one to get down to fine detail at this time of night. The overall feel of your characters is overwhelmingly combat heavy, although there will be combat in this RP, there will be equally as much intrigue. Could I suggest toning down the combat side. I've got short mission briefs written up for the other guys which I will send out in the morning. If you could tweak your characters then I can get on yours ASAP.  8)

EDIT- In reference to briefs for tomorrow I will be adding more detail to locations on Siwa as this is where the first phase of the RP will take place.

2nd EDIT- Jarrick, good question! Don't worry your characters are not going down the drain, wounds and even possibly deaths in firefights or even outside of combat will only occur realistically according to the situation. I have tried to take into account the individual concerns of your characters in my guidelines. Feel free to develop characters and rivalries as you wish! I'm just sending these briefs so the RP moves towards a fairly unified objective.

Inquisitor Kravin

MicroSkull
Hmmm I did mean dual, it had been getting a tad late and to be honest, my command of spelling did become a little suspect. I suppose a battery pack would make a little more sense, I've just always had a soft spot for quick draw dual firing desperado and wanted to transfer that into an Inquisitor. He never actually threw away the guns in my mind but rather quickly holstered and drew two new ones. The idea behind this is that its is very difficult and awkward to reload to handguns, as both your hands are not free.

The reason for the strange switch of style from spray and pray to pick them off, with his revolver is pretty simple. If Curtes sprays a room with bullets and then still finds he is overwhelmed, he likes to pull back, take cover and play it smart, taking out his foes with a more carefully.

And as for Simo's little Boom head shot quote...well, that's a personal joke I just through in at the end. Perhaps in bad taste, but I was tired and wanted to brighten it up a little with something amusing.

Fallen Angel
Hmm, I did write quite a combat heavy two didn't I? Though that really wasn't my intention. I wanted to make a pair who would watch over each others back jealously and have some actually compassion for one and other, brothers always an interesting thing to write I feel. On top of that, I though a pair of expert hunters would be useful to the story overall. When I say hunters I mean the the type who spend there time speaking to contacts, chasing up leads and following every possible lead in hopes off finding there target. A missing dead Inquisitor would be something they'd perhaps enjoy chasing.

The two know how to be subtle and Curtes especially is fine example of sneaky back stabbery.

MarcoSkoll

Quote from: Inquisitor Kravin on August 19, 2010, 11:15:58 AMMicroSkull
*Facepalm*
I've had MacroSkull before, MarkoScoll, and just about everything except MicroSkull. I seem to have a horrible habit of picking usernames which get horribly mangled.

For my own amusement, I've started taking MacroSkull to be a Freudian slip that people think I'm big-headed. Is MicroSkull implying I'm a peabrain?  :P

QuoteThe idea behind this is that its is very difficult and awkward to reload to handguns, as both your hands are not free.
Nah, that's just an excuse to write some cool machine to help him. Refer to the corridor shootout in Equilibrium, where he's got a mechanism up his sleeves for reloading or, if you can stomach it, in the Live action movie, Lara Croft has holsters which also hold spare magazines in such a way that she can reload both pistols at once.

I nicked a combination of the two ideas for the one dual wielding character I have got (there's only the one, as most of my characters aren't idiots*). In her case, she's got a back mounted "dispenser" which automatically supplies her with reloads.
She does normally just discard the empty magazines (which in its own right is bad practice), but even in the event she can't recover them later, she does work for an Inquisitor, so supply issues are fairly unlikely.

*Normally, my kind of character would go for a submachine gun. More accurate, throws just as much (if not more) lead downrange, allows you to fire from behind cover better, and has no reloading concerns.
Jax has reasons for not doing so, but if you're interested in those, it would be better to read her thread than discuss them here.

QuoteAnd as for Simo's little Boom head shot quote...well, that's a personal joke I just through in at the end. Perhaps in bad taste, but I was tired and wanted to brighten it up a little with something amusing.
I'm not thinking bad taste. This is after all a universe where people who kill for the thrill of it are an accepted part of the background. (Refer to just about anything to do with Khorne, Orks, Dark Eldar... although the Dark Eldar do have other reasons to as well, but they certainly enjoy it).

No, characters with bad taste don't concern me. What I'm thinking is that it's a really hackneyed thing for a sniper character to say. It's one thing when you don't intend the character to be taken seriously (so something like the TF2 sniper quoting it is one thing), but quite another when you do.

I have no problem with references being made - but if you do make them, it's worth thinking about what exactly it says to the reader... both as far as the character and you, the author.
In my case, what it normally says is that I like Pink Floyd.

GW's =I= articles

Inquisitor Kravin

Ahh Microskull, for the simple reason....I sort off love the word Micro, its just fun to say...Micro. Infact...I might stick with it.

And Eqiulibrium, you glorious mass off bullets, bless you. Shame Curtes aint so stylish.

Also...I love Pink Floyd