Main Menu

News:

If you are having problems registering, please e-mail theconclaveforum at gmail.com

'A Tale of Four Warbands'

Started by Molotov, August 17, 2010, 11:49:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Molotov

Quote(i.e. could end up struggling to fill the last "left over" option).

This was a thought that'd crossed my mind, too.

Quoteactually, this works well from an article point of view; can help explain the factions, gives room to research "average" kit and look at specific sample miniatures

Not that I want to seem like a naysayer, but it seems that this is an idea that could be teased out to form a series of articles on its own. Looking at the different philosophies, providing different characters as examples, that seems like something that could be good for Dark Magenta. Given that the DM staff have been asking for articles, it seems like that would be something desirable!

INQ28 Thread | INQ28 Blog
INQ28, done properly, is at least the equal of its big brother - and Mol is one of the expert proponents of "done properly".
- precinctomega

Kresten

Let's get this ball rolling!

I think that the 'tale of X warbands' would be a great opportunity to show the different approaches to different aspects of making a warband. I think the best way to get started is to decide on some headings for articles and clearly define what is to be tackled in the different sections. In terms of sub-headings etc, well that would be different for each writer I think and adds to the idea of there being differing opinions/methods.

Okay so I think the headings should/could be;

Painting + modelling - explaining why you chose the conversions you did, how the modelling has helped you develop the character, how the colors of the model reflect the character etc

Background - developing realistic characters, avoiding two-dimensional media rip-offs and the desire for your character to be a 'hero' who just kicks ass and takes names. Examining the humanity and therefore flaws of your warband and how to add detail that makes all the difference.

warband, companions meshing separate lives etc - who accompanies your leader and why, tensions between them, setting up internal story arcs that may or may not affect your game/saga, remembering that not everyone is loyal/pious/honest and may have their own motivations.

anyway, just an opinion as to how things could be laid out.
"A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords at dawn"

Molotov

My thinking is that despite the people circling this thread, getting together four people who'll be committed and can produce a decent product will limit the number of people that will participate. A tale of 4 warbands is more likely to work than a tale of 6.

I think what we need are:

- People willing to lend their time to this project.
- People willing to write accompanying text.
- People willing to create (around) 4 figures, and with the ability to document their progress.

With regards to Kresten's points, I imagine that in the first article, the four participants would spend a little bit of time talking about themselves, and then with what they're doing. Some people might have all four characters in mind from the start; some might have detailed sketches, some might not have a clue and might have to start by coming up with compelling characters. I thought what Heroka Vendile said about each participant having a "challenge", trying to do something different, that's good. It might be (like me) that it's the first time working with 54mm. It might be that you've always done puritan characters, and this time you have to do a radical. But something like that would give some interest and some "shape" to the project. In the first article, each of the participants would be able to talk about why it's a challenge for them.
INQ28, done properly, is at least the equal of its big brother - and Mol is one of the expert proponents of "done properly".
- precinctomega

Macabre

How about sculpting the entire warband. That'll be challenging ;)
++Believe the lie. Trust no one++

Molotov

Well, exactly! Marco's shown that it can be done.
- precinctomega

Shannow

I would be interested in being one of the 4, though I would say that I don't think my characters or modelling are the best by a long shot, but if you can't find 4 competent people I'd enjoy participating :)

Rob
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tanhauser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain.

Time to die.

MarcoSkoll

I'll happily contribute to such a project, being the lunatic I am.
S.Sgt Silva Birgen: "Good evening, we're here from the Adeptus Defenestratus."
Captain L. Rollin: "Nonsense. Never heard of it."
Birgen: "Pick a window. I'll demonstrate".

GW's =I= articles

Kaled

I'm curious, is this still going ahead? If it is stalled is there anything I can do to help it along - I'd hate to see DM miss out on what was shaping up to be a promising article.
I like to remember things my own way... Not necessarily the way they happened.

Inquisitor - Blood Bowl - Malifaux - Fairy Meat

Shannow

As I said in the other related article, are there two others conclavers, other than me an marco who would be interesting being the participants? Just thought I'd post in both and covers my bases (pun perhaps :p)

I too would not like to see this sit dead in the water.
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tanhauser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain.

Time to die.

Kresten

Well I've already had a little go at some introductory writing, I think the next step would be to just decide who was doing it really.

(Puts hand up)

Macabre

*shrugs* I'll have a go, its about time I sculpted Kartheim's warband.
++Believe the lie. Trust no one++

Heroka Vendile

i would make the small note that it may well be beneficial to have a "project lead" to keep tabs on everyone and do the collating of the articles? by which i mean a fifth person who takes on the role of "setting the challenge" and cracking the whip to get articles done in plenty time.
It's all fun and games until someone shoots their own guy with a Graviton gun instead of the MASSIVE SPIDER.
The Order of Krubal
Rewards Of The Enemy

Kaled

Kresten

I think with your experience you'd be the perfect candidate Kaled.

Kaled

Okay, well I'll wait and see if the others agree before doing anything more - don't want to impose myself on someone else's project...