Main Menu

News:

If you are having problems registering, please e-mail theconclaveforum at gmail.com

Inquisitor Elva Mark III

Started by Elva, July 30, 2010, 11:32:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Elva

I was trying to aim for the fact that over time, what started as a mere interest is developing to a full blown obsession. Though it's not to say she isn't cautious, it's just that she is easily caught off guard by them as her fascination with the xenos overrides most of her logic.

Or there is option B, which is to re-haul her and make give her a different position. One idea that occurred to me, was if I really need to play an Inquisitor, I could easily make Elva the Eldar(give me an excuse to draw her with pointy ears  ;D), and have another Inquisitor entirely. Though that brings up the issue that she won't be the main character anymore. Option B2 is to have her as an Eldar leading the band, however I would have to find a good reason why an Eldar would lead a band of humans, which I'm sure could be done, I just need to really do my research and stretch my brain.

Any thoughts on this random brainstorm? :P
"Nobody expects the Imperial Inquisition!!"

Flinty

Possibly not a welcome comment, but sometimes it can happen that one ends up going through so many twists, turns and aboutfaces that the original idea either gets buried or a round peg is forced into a square hole - it may be better to scrap the idea and start again.

I'd say the concensus on the Conclave is that pretty much any Inquisitor will eventually end up being a pawn of thier Eldar ''ally''; which seems a viable plot line to me, as long as the Eldar don't suddenly start showering them with goodies, advice or help, beyond making sure the puppet does what its supposed to do.

No reason why Elva would not have some delusion that she has a connection or otherwise imaginary empathy with the/an Eldar, and should add a little spice to role playing those encounters where one might be present. Presumably she will be able to function perfectly normally when dealing with day-to-day non Eldar related Ordos investigations, it will just add a nice flaw or hook to the character.

Given the powerful impact of an Eldar in game terms, I dont think they need a warband (I seem to remember one idea that was just two Eldar directing thier nefarious plans where humans were concerned) as they are entirely capable in themselves - as long as thier actions are suitably rp'ed of course. 

I personally doubt that an Eldar is going to put up with a bunch of clunky, stupid Mon-Kieghs (sp?) stumbling about cocking up thier plans, and is more likely to be teenage in not wanting to be seen/associated with humans - surely that would be far too obvious and unsubtle - definately an antithesis of all things Eldar.

Neanderthal and Proud!

Jamas Orian

An exceptionally easy way to have an Eldar working with a warband is to have a common enemy. Set yourself up against Tyranids / Orks / Slaanesh and you've instantly got an excuse to work together

Elva

Nah, its okay. I'm welcome to all thoughts as long as they're constructive. However, I think that this helps evolve the character/idea, and if I want to go back to the base I would. Sort of like choosing between a plasma gun and a musket, yes the musket is pretty cool and was were firearms started, but a Plasma gun is generally better. But there are situations were archaic firearms would be a better choice.

Sorry for the bizzare metaphor :P 

I also seem to be getting a bit of a whiff of how the Xenos' minds work by everyone's statements. Basically they are the superior race and their survival is at the top of the list. Not to mention being extremely powerful even in their weakened state(would hate to have had to fought them at their empire's peak :o).

I am pretty warmed up to the idea of an Eldar leading a band of humans, despite the fact that it is pretty implausible even if they are just cannon fodder. Maybe its a squad of guard that have a particular part in the fate the Eldar, though that would warrant subtle manipulation, rather than a more direct approach. I just need to figure out how a reason for an Eldar to have to constantly be with these "creatures".

Now that I think of it the common foe would be good, but I want to try my hand and see if I can go a level or two higher, just to see if I can.

Aidan

Well, I do have an renegade Eldar pirate who regularly employs humans as flunkies - I mean, you've got to get them somewhere, and when there's not enough of your own kin who are on speaking terms with you... The fact of the matter is that - for all their primitiveness and flaws - Humans are relaible mooks and the only kind in ready supply in the galaxy. Just don't expect the Eldar to find them endearing (except, perhaps, as pets).

For the more well-placed Eldar, reasoning might be harder to come up with. But I'm sure you can come up with something. Just don't disregard the fluff, and I'll probably support your ideas.

-A.

Elva

Will do. I think the issue is just not having a good enough understanding of the fluff, rather than disregarding it. But that's steadily improving as I learn more from talking with experienced 'clavers. I'll try and sit down and brainstorm when I get some free time.

MarcoSkoll

Quote from: Elva on September 02, 2010, 10:47:49 PMI just need to figure out how a reason for an Eldar to have to constantly be with these "creatures".
In a similar way to Aidan, a loooooooong time back (and it's somewhat canonically dodgy), I had a character called Eclipse who was an Eldar who had been completely outcast by Eldar society.
With no other options for his own survival, he hid himself in amongst the depths of human society, making contact with humanity only so far as he needed to in order to keep himself alive. His only real companion was an Alien bounty hunter, of a race he felt wasn't quite as detestable as humans.

You might be able to work that idea, but I'll be honest, I'm not sure you're going with quite the right basis for this character. Now, I apologise in advance - I'm not looking to cause offence with what follows, but I recognise that my opinions have proven unintentionally inflammatory in the past.

I take it that this character is used in other fictional universes as an Elf? The problem is, there just aren't Elves in 40k, and the closest equivalents are not very amicable to humans - so you can't really port that across. You're really trying too hard to do so, and what I'm seeing here is a lot of good ideas thrown away in the pursuit of something that hasn't really got a place in this particular setting. In my opinion, you should really reserve the idea of Elva as an Elf for the universes where it doesn't conflict quite so heavily with the canonical background, and work on developing a variant for this universe.

Now, I don't know exactly what it is about elves that appeals to you, but ultimately, what does Elf boil down to in most fantasy universes? Long-lived individuals who epitomise some human traits (usually intelligence, attractiveness and grace/agility) and who are almost entirely human in appearance - but for their pointy ears.
And, largely, that's what an Inquisitor is*. It's possible for Inquisitors to live hundreds of years with the aid of technology, and they are most certainly prime human specimens. Unless you're set on pointy ears (which really only serve to set Elves visually apart), an Inquisitor can easily neatly match almost all the traits normally assigned to elves in fantasy universes.

So I'd go back to the idea of her as an Inquisitor. If you want to keep some connections to the Eldar, then make her an Ordos Xenos Inquisitor with some sympathetic leanings for the Eldar - although I would stay clear of her mindlessly helping them with anything - and perhaps a few connections in the craftworlds that she can make use of at times.

Sorry to be quite so disapproving, but I honestly do think you're discarding good ideas for some rather out of place ones.

*I have also been known to describe them as "What you'd get if you mixed The Doctor and Indiana Jones"
S.Sgt Silva Birgen: "Good evening, we're here from the Adeptus Defenestratus."
Captain L. Rollin: "Nonsense. Never heard of it."
Birgen: "Pick a window. I'll demonstrate".

GW's =I= articles

Elva

I take no offense, in fact, I'm glad you're trying to save me from going down a wrong path  :). I do use Elva in a lot of my writing/drawing, and replacing her has been a fruitless task. In most settings, she is a half elf(most notably, my D&D bard that doesn't suck in any way), though she can vary. The best conclusion I can figure out for as to why I use her so much is that I can never get any conclusion, everything involved with her I either loose interest in or some other issue comes up. However, I try to match that with persistence, and am using her every chance I get, hoping that I can get some form of satisfaction. However, I have wanted to use her for Inquisitor for some time now.

Onto the Eldar part of the issue. I figured that they were different from elves as I got more and more experienced in the forty first millennium. What appeals to me, is not just the pointy ears and elven like characteristics, but the confidence, and manner in which they carry themselves. They once ruled the universe, and that sort of appeals to my Imperialistic side. I'm not the strongest willed person, so I guess I admire them for completely disregarding anyone who gets in their way and treating them as a bug under their foot.

I'm also kind of interested in learning their psyche, it would be a fun and rich roleplaying challenge. And I think Elva would make a good Eldar, I just get a good mental image when I envision her as such. Even if it means tweaking her a bit(or a lot), I would be willing to give it a shot.

Shannow

Quote from: MarcoSkoll on September 03, 2010, 01:50:17 AM

*I have also been known to describe them as "What you'd get if you mixed The Doctor and Indiana Jones"

Sheer genius Marco, genius!!
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tanhauser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain.

Time to die.

MarcoSkoll

Quote from: Elva on September 03, 2010, 02:15:14 AMI do use Elva in a lot of my writing/drawing, and replacing her has been a fruitless task.
Well, given the considerable number of (rather different) drafts, I'm a little confused as to quite how much continuity there can be between the different versions.

But that aside, I'll say it's a good thing for a character to have that kind of rooting in your mind - it's a sign that something is working. Still, it doesn't mean you should try to shoehorn them into places they don't quite fit.
Feel free to use her if you can make enough adjustments for her to fit into 40k, but as has already been said, square pegs don't fit in round holes (unless you shave off the corners).

QuoteI guess I admire them for completely disregarding anyone who gets in their way and treating them as a bug under their foot.
Again, this is an entirely feasible (and indeed, common) trait for an Inquisitor. Confidence and conviction should be expected in such a person. Admittedly, man has never ruled the galaxy but many, if not most, Inquisitors believe that humanity has the right to do so.

The fact is, it's pretty easy to create a human character who possesses the appropriate parts of the Eldar psyche, but leaves out the less suitable parts. I'd also note (again) that an Eldar would still be much more dominating on the table than a human.

Quote from: Shannow on September 03, 2010, 02:54:17 AMSheer genius Marco, genius!!
Why, thank you. ;D
S.Sgt Silva Birgen: "Good evening, we're here from the Adeptus Defenestratus."
Captain L. Rollin: "Nonsense. Never heard of it."
Birgen: "Pick a window. I'll demonstrate".

GW's =I= articles

Elva

The trouble is getting what's in my head out on paper, which comes out oddly sometimes. To be honest, until i got on the 'clave, I never really sat down to write about what she was like, and now the original idea is muddled with variations, but I've learned for next time, now I never play a character unless I have written down notes. But now that you mention it, I probably should come up with another character design, one specifically made for Inquisitor, though it'll be a toughie to break out of the Elva archetype. 

That is a good point, I could make my character very elfish and aloof, though the Eldar armour and tech is pretty cool. But I see your point.

All these mistakes I'll hopefully never make again, I usually don't. I'm glad though I've got guys like you to steer me in the right direction, your guidance has proved invaluable in my learning process.

Sadly, for now I must take a break from working on Inquisitor, as school is almost here and I've got preparations to make before Tuesday, not to mention two D&D characters by Monday and still find time to goof off and sketch. I'll still be on the forums and respond, just don't expect any more character sheets for awhile.