Main Menu

News:

If you are having problems registering, please e-mail theconclaveforum at gmail.com

54mm Terrain Project

Started by precinctomega, August 16, 2009, 01:28:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

precinctomega

The brief here is to build a load of brand new terrain for UK Games Day 2009, where the York Garrison will be running an INQ demo game.  After having a panic because my first idea went completely Pete Tong, my hand fell upon White Dwarf 261 (IIRC), which included a brilliant article on building terrain for INQ out of foam card.

I may be wrong, but I think that this is one of the best terrain-building articles that White Dwarf has ever published.

Anyway, one trip to eBay later, I had a crap-ton of foam card ready for my brand new studio.  I'm off on holiday tomorrow for a couple of weeks, but to tide you over, here's a preview of the first two buildings:

R.

Van Helser

Yeah, those articles were the absolute bomb.  Made a buttload of buildings using them way back whenever the articles came out.  The buildings lasted too - they provided the terrain for the battle report in Dark Magenta Issue 3.

Keep us updated - with the new plastic 40k terrain I can only imagine that the potential for truly awesome buildings has increased exponentially!

greenstuff_gav

be sure to keep us posted   :D

will we be riveting along the edges?
holiday? perfect time to build terrain!  ;D
i make no apologies, i warned you my ability to roll ones was infectious...

Build Your Imagination

catferret

Was that the terrain article that also had the daemony obelisk wotsit chained up in the centre?  The buildings in that article did look quite cool and not stupidly complex to make. 

Enjoy your holiday and make sure to take lots of pics of inspiring real world buildings for ideas. ;)

Colonel Marbi Chora

I've got a copy of that WD that I snagged off ebay myself :)

Buildings are looking cool so far! ow do you plan to do the doors, plasticard rectangles?

precinctomega

I actually managed to take one more pic of progress before I left for hols but... didn't download it.  Sorry.  I'm having a new kitchen fitted along with new floors throughout the ground floor of my house, so I spent the last 24 hours moving everything downstairs, upstairs.

However, to whet your appetites, I have four buildings and two bridges.  The ones you see in the photo above have had parapets added, and there are also two larger buildings done, one of which has two storeys.  There are also ladders and suchlike to make sure the Games Day campaign is a truly three-dimensional affair.

R.

precinctomega

A bit of a double update, here.

Here's the set as built, so far:

Now here's how I've painted it, so far:

I'm particularly pleased with the lighting effects.  When the buildings are on the nice, black board I've built for them, they should lend a pleasingly dark and moody feel to the whole place.

R.

karandras_sh

Looks amazing PO I cannot wait to see it compleated. It looks like it will be a very interesting board.
All Lies Lead to the Truth

RobSkib

Looking good Robey, can't wait to play on it!
An Inquisitor walks into a bar - he rolls D100 to see if he hits it.
                                     +++++++
Gallery of my Inquisitor models here.

psycho

Love it mate, youve lent me "inspiration"!

kerby

Kallidor

Nicely done PO I like the dark and grimey look you've given them and the construction is very neat and clean.
Be Pure!
Be Vigilant!
BEHAVE!

Colonel Marbi Chora

Looks awesome Precinct! Very dark, good for the mood!

Can I ask for a close-up of how an INQ scale model looks on that walkway?

greenstuff_gav

looking good!
i still rekon rivets were needed on the edges  :-[

we going to add posters / graffiti?
i make no apologies, i warned you my ability to roll ones was infectious...

Build Your Imagination

precinctomega

No posters.  These are intended to represent the interior of a space hulk, gantries and internal systems, not buildings.

There may be some bits that show more of the effects of age and corruption, though.

R.

Kaled

Quote from: precinctomega on September 08, 2009, 02:23:02 PM
These are intended to represent the interior of a space hulk, gantries and internal systems, not buildings.
In that case, you ought to see if you can find something like an old motor that you could use to make a generator and add more conduits and the like - at the minute they do look like buildings at night rather than the interior of a ship*.  Maybe find a old washing machine, fridge or TV, take that apart (observing the proper safety precautions of course!) and use it's guts to get parts for a few 'machines'.

* I know a hulk is big enough to have ssections that look like this, but if you want to make it more obvious what it is I'd say it needs more than just 'buildings' and gantries.
I like to remember things my own way... Not necessarily the way they happened.

Inquisitor - Blood Bowl - Malifaux - Fairy Meat