Main Menu

News:

If you are having problems registering, please e-mail theconclaveforum at gmail.com

Planets

Started by Elva, August 26, 2010, 11:54:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Morcus

biggest problem I see with a Forrest world is Rain fall. Rain fall is determined by the amount of exposed water (I Know theres actually alot more to it than that simplification but its not really my field) so a Forrest world would need to have at least half its land surface as Oceans and large lakes in order to have the weather to support such forrests. You could maybe justify it with underground water or some other complicated explination.

On the other hand, a World where most of the land is covered in Forrest makes perfect sense. I'm under the impression that in the past most of the Earth was covered in Trees and would be were it not for people being here to remove them?

I too was under the impression that alot of planets were terraformed by people and Logically they would create a world simillar to modern Earth?

Koval

Quote from: Morcus on August 27, 2010, 06:27:49 PM
biggest problem I see with a Forrest world is Rain fall. Rain fall is determined by the amount of exposed water (I Know theres actually alot more to it than that simplification but its not really my field) so a Forrest world would need to have at least half its land surface as Oceans and large lakes in order to have the weather to support such forrests. You could maybe justify it with underground water or some other complicated explination.
Or they could just be like present-day Earth, 70% of whose surface is water. Ocean worlds themselves don't happen unless they're about 90%+ made up of water.

Morcus

Which is written in the second paragraph of my post which you haven't quoted.

Koval

And you were implying two different things -- a forest world with more forest than water (which is to say, what you thought we thought we were discussing), and a more sensible forest world that would work.

Also, forest as in trees, not Forrest as in Gump.

Morcus

So your saying because I said that a all forest world wouldn't work but that a half forest half Ocean world would, you felt it prudent to take the first example that I said made no sense, and then put underneath, it would work if the planet had sufficient surface water, which I wrote in a Paragraph you chose to Ignor?

You quoted my first paragraph and essentially Paraphraised the second one underneath. I just don't understand your point or reasoning.

Koval

That's good, because to be honest it doesn't bother me.

Jamas Orian

http://www.latech.co.uk/inq/eritan4.pdf

^ A 'forest' world that I created for a campaign.

Flinty

There is also the point in the planets evolutionary history (all considerably in the past the 41st Millenium, admittedly) determining the type of ecosystem. If a planet had developed a range of plant species but had no large herbivores, trees/tall plants could evolve to dominate any/all suitable land masses. If there had been no subsiquent alien/human intervention and mammalian or reptilian evolution did not produce herbivores or any other environmentally altering species - tall plants/trees might remain the dominant species.

Bit crap and not really useful I admit. Probably easier to go with it being planted and maintained as a Forestry World.
Neanderthal and Proud!

Shannow

Quote from: Flinty on August 31, 2010, 10:00:29 AM
There is also the point in the planets evolutionary history (all considerably in the past the 41st Millenium, admittedly)

Perhaps worth considering that certain events such as the formation of the eye of terror may have caused the creation of relatively 'young' planets where this may be more prevalent, and I'm sure similar powerful and crazy things could also cause mini big bang moments to occur as well (dead scientific that comment, but hey I hat physics and associated stuff unless its been neatly packaged in new scientist :P )

Rob
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tanhauser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain.

Time to die.

Flinty

Yep...Im with Shannow on that having leapt at the first chance I was offered to give up Physics at school - and have I ever needed to know the evapouration rate of boiling ethanol in a vacum ? No. Gin, on the other hand, frequently...

Bearing in mind we are talking about a fictional universe with fictional technology and altered fictional physics, biology and therefore presumably ecology (nevermind palentology) etc, in which things only need to be half believable to us.

Im sure you could have a planet described by the generally uneducated and unimaginative inhabitants of that universe as comprised of one dominant feature/form, ie forest or water; which, if technically assessed by the Ad Mech geologists/astrophysicists or whatever, would probably end up being called something entirely different.
Neanderthal and Proud!

Koval

The main reason I gave up Physics was because my Physics teacher at the time forgot to put my name on a list of people he thought were good enough to take Physics at A-Level, before adding something to the effect of "if your name is not on the list, don't take a Physics A-Level"; my at-the-time 15-year-old self promptly told him to go boil his head.

I received a grovelling apology from him in the corridor one lunchtime but it was too little, too late. Six and a half years on, I'm just scavenging what I know from my mates down the pub (who were actually encouraged to study Physics on a more formal level, but that's not so much the point as you don't really need any qualifications in something to know a few things about it).

Acolyte Havlan Tome

Surely forge worlds have a lot of water on them because all the fumes given off will result in a lot of rainfall won't it???
If you catch sight of me twice your either lucky or not worth exterminating

Shannow

Dependent on the nature of the fumes I would think as well as the proximity to its sun. I would also think that the tech priests, being the clever (if somewhat rude) chaps they are, would probably devise a clever method of venting the gas into turbines and then returning the cooled condensed water to storage tanks for re-use. Just a though anyway, but I agree being a forge world does not instantly make it dry/arid/void/mettalic etc.
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tanhauser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain.

Time to die.

Morcus

It would depend on the atmosphere of the Forge world as well, and the mass of the fumes, and the size of the planet so you could argue it either way.

Koval

Fluff example of a non-dirty forge world: Celare Artem