Main Menu

News:

If you are having problems registering, please e-mail theconclaveforum at gmail.com

Necron Character Concept

Started by Alyster Wick, August 28, 2010, 02:05:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alyster Wick

On a lark I started bulking out the torso of a destroyer I had and slowly began affixing random bits until I created a monster (or, rather, half a monster, it's still far from complete).

Anyway, here's the concept.  Many millenia ago a Necron warhost set about destroying an advanced civilization (as is their way).  As they lay siege to the final city, they found it mysteriously empty, the inhabitants dead and the buildings slowly corroding.  Not long after entering, they realized that it was a trap.  As a final act of rebellion, the civilization released a deadly tech-plague which broke down the physical structure of certain elements and caused them to disintegrate into nothing (in addition to eating metal, it also destroyed key elements necessary to the survival of organic life as well). 

The Necron invasion force immediately phased out in an attempt to stave off the infection.  However, the virus began spreading throughout the tomb city, destroying the warriors first and spreading throughout tomb spiders as they vainly attempted to repair their brethren.  Soon only a core group was left within the radius of the Necron Lord and his resurrection orb, but slowly they too began to see their silver skin slough away.  In a desperate gambit, the Lord fused the resurrection orb with his own power source, leaving the others to waste away while be bought time to try and defeat the virus.

Over seemingly countless ages the Lord studied the virus that was slowly eating away at him.  While he never found a cure, he was able to stave off the infection by improving his body's connection with the resurrection orb. With scant resourced left to rebuild, the Lord left himself to slumber, perhaps for the rest of eternity, until...

Fast forward to the current age.  Humanity has landed on the tomb world and begun to prosper.  Along with the humans comes their technology.  Through a combination of barter (with the Mechanicus, some of who suppose he is a nomadic hand of the Machine God) and the ransacking of caravans, the Necron Lord sets about the long process of rebuilding his army.

Basically I liked the idea of this bastardized metallic beast which is a Frankenstein cluster of Imperial and Necron parts randomly appearing in his patchwork monolith, seemingly at random (to the Imperial observers), sometimes to reverence and sometimes to hysteria.  Yes, it may be out of character for a Necron to not kill everything it sees, but it's not without precedence for them to have diplomatic relations with humanity.  Plus this one is a little crazy after centuries of isolation, and he sees his only means of resuming the destruction of the universe as duping techpriests into giving him enough raw materials to rebuild his army (or some semblance thereof) while taking what he needs/can from random travelers and poorly protected settlements.

Anyway, a little crazy, I know, but too far fetched?

Elva

I don't know much about the Necrons(apart from their relations the the C'tan and early history), however its a great idea, maybe with some more work it won't sound so far fetched, but the potential is there. Just a thought, maybe his orb got attached somehow, or something like that, to a tech priest's body, and now he controls it and is attempting to reach his goals with his puppet as his leverage. 

Great idea :) this might just have helped me get thinking enough to break out of my own writer's block.
"Nobody expects the Imperial Inquisition!!"

Zakkeg

Seems to work. Lords represent those few Necrons who have retained individual identity, after all. I'd say there's a lot of mileage in this idea.
Only the insane have strength enough to prosper; only those who prosper may truly judge what is sane.