Main Menu

News:

If you are having problems registering, please e-mail theconclaveforum at gmail.com

Never Ending WIPs (Random Updates)

Started by Alyster Wick, September 15, 2010, 11:37:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hadriel Caine

The use of Fabius Bile is inspired. I like how many projects you have on the go... its reassuring to know its not just me.
The idea behind the alien commander model is good but the execution needs a bit more thought IMO. The trophies are nice but I think there are too many at the moment and need to be better integrated into the composition. I like the shoulder spikes and the warrior-head gauntlet, the back piece looks odd though. Add some GS straps to the gauntlet and I think you're on to a winner there!
The Fall of Astraea
Astrean OOC- feedback thread

\'You have to lie to keep people happy\'

Alyster Wick

Let's see if this advanced WIP of a Necron Lord gets people talking!

First the weapon:

Lengthy Disclaimer on the body: The arms aren't glued and will be fitted much closer to the torso in reality.  I'm up in the air with the spinal piece as well, as much as I want to make my own rather than using the stock one I dunno if I can pull it off well (it will be physically connected to the back, probably with poor GS work).  Clearly looking at the head tacked on there I need to shorten the neck.  I wanted a longer Egyptian one but it's a little ridiculous.  The other thing up in the air is the use of the 40K scale head.  It seems to work, though I'll probably finish the scratch built one I'm working on just for comparison. Also, I plan to sand down the cloak and ad a thin layer of GS along with guitar wire protruding through to round it all off.

Hadriel Caine

Given all of your disclaimers he's going to look hella cool! I quite like the small head and the protruding spine tbh. The robe legs are cool but I don't like the arms at all. There must be something roboty you could use?
The Fall of Astraea

Stormgrad

is that the water castes arms on the necron lord?

Alyster Wick

Quote from: Stormgrad on March 03, 2011, 02:04:08 PM
is that the water castes arms on the necron lord?

Yes!

Now that that's out of the way, I had my first day off in quite some time (actually got a few in a row so this should be exciting!) and did some work on the Necron Lord and spruced up Gav's techpriest.  Less talk, more pics:

Techpriest with Swiss Army-Hand:

And new buzzy mechandrite:

Necron Lord with Res Ord implanted in chest and WIP on the robes:

His head, I settled on scratch building a completely new one, cookie for the person who guesses what the armature was! It's cursory but my sculpting skills are as WIP as the models in this thread...

His right arm, hopefully this eases fears that the robes will make him less Necrony:

And a bunch of different shots of the robes, going for the extremely tattered look:

Hadriel Caine

Awesome stuff mate! Really like the progress here. The tech priest is cool. Like the overabundance of wiring.
Necron Lord is looking better and better, the weapon just screams necrontyr. keep it up and enjoy the break!
The Fall of Astraea

Alyster Wick

I've been doing some more extensive conversions lately so I decided to do something simple with mostly plastic.  Then I got a little carried away, anyway, here's the hyper-violent barghesi.

Here's his right arm which needs some changes before it fits properly.  It's a Lattarang Stripgun (rules here http://www.darkmagenta.co.uk/articles/Things%20that%20Dwell%20in%20Darkness.pdf), I like the idea of a drugged up beast charging forward, carving armor off of his enemies and then hitting them with a giant buzzsaw.

And here's a scale shot of a techpriest taking on some xenos heresy:

Also, some updates on the Necron Lord, I'm sleeping on some of the changes, not sure how I feel about them:

Shannow

hyper-violent barghesi? NIce chap, but tends to lose it when he's had a few on a saturday night,,,

Very cool model, and looks a lot larger than he is (was very surprised by the scale shot) looks full of character and little gubbins that I'm sure I'll notice more and more of the more I look at him.

Honestly, I'm not a massive fan of the arms for the necron lord, but as I cant offer an alternative.... I'm sure they will look great painted anyway, really great model.

R
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tanhauser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain.

Time to die.

judge-minos

this models are nuts..... I love them

Am I wrong if I say that the necron pose is lightly inspired by the warmachine cryx lich lord Asphyxious ????

DapperAnarchist

oooh, Stripgun!  ;D

I need to get myself a Spawn box...
Questions are a burden to others, answers a burden to oneself.

The Keltani Subsector  My P&M Thread - Most recent, INQ28!

Alyster Wick

Quote from: DapperAnarchist on April 25, 2011, 12:57:37 AM
oooh, Stripgun!  ;D

I need to get myself a Spawn box...

Looks like you found your spawn box judging by the other thread and I'm glad I could bring the strip gun to life!

Quote from: judge-minos on April 24, 2011, 03:59:51 PM
Am I wrong if I say that the necron pose is lightly inspired by the warmachine cryx lich lord Asphyxious ????

He wasn't initially, but I was aware of the cryx line which looked like Necrons.  Ultimately I ended up with a pic of Asphyxious while I was sculpting the robes because he had the look I wanted, so good catch!

Anyway, I've been working with a lot of GS and in the down time I've finished construction of "The Architect" Necron Lord!  Very excited, I still need to tidy up a few bits and do the base but for all intents and purposes the model is finished beyond painting.  The one major bit I'm fretting about is whether or not to add necron doo-dads to his head to give him a sort-of crown (I was just going to do three pieces of cut plasticard that looked like the bits on the ends of his wirey claws). 

Anywho, those who were against the robed sleeves will be happy, here he is! 

Aurelius 12

Loving the Staff!

Although I have to admit when I first saw him I assumed the mechandrity/tentically things were trailing behind him! Oops.

I also really like the GS robes, especially the tearing.

Can't wait to see him/her/it painted.
And the Saint did weep when she saw how lost the people were. Seven tears fell upon Gomorrah. Seven tears to wash away their sin. A deluge of heavenly tears drowned their world in an ocean of forgiveness. The people cleansed in a sea of nuclear fire.

Dolnikan

He looks incredibly good. I love how all the parts fit together so well.
Circles of the wise My attempt at writing something, please comment on it if you have any advise.

Shannow

Really glad you didn't go with the sleeves those arms are fantastic! Really show of your skills. Looks awesome all over really cannot complain a bit :)

R
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tanhauser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain.

Time to die.

Alyster Wick

So a couple days ago I picked up some basing materials and have been on my way. I'm planning to pick up some paints today or tomorrow, do some undercoating and get the wet palette set up so watch out, I may have actual non-WIPs soon (goodness, I'd have to start a new thread in which I actually complete projects...)

Anyway, here's some other stuff I've been working on in the mean time. Some of it is rather old but I'd been holding out until certain articles were finished but I figured what the heck, why not post them now.

Dark Eldar Pain Thief (giving another plug for the Talos, the face masks are great! This should also give you a sense of scale, as an fyi I don't think there's a head in the range that the masks will fit over naturally, I tried with Severina/Sevora and while it wouldn't require too much filing it definite doesn't fit naturally):

side view

Based Necron Lord:

front

side

Frontier Arbiter (very happy with my damnation mini purchase via ebay):

left

back

right

Dandy Shield:

back

Compliance Corps Trooper/Military Arbites

Sycophant Praetorian Servitor (hard to tell what's going with the black basecoat):

side

comparative

Imperial Decreeist (my first real attempt at a mostly scratch built model (minus head, right hand and gubbins), be kind!)

left

back