Main Menu

News:

If you are having problems registering, please e-mail theconclaveforum at gmail.com

Inquisitor Devaki

Started by Whiley Burp, September 18, 2010, 03:25:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Whiley Burp

Howdy there fellas

Here is a very brief background for an inquisitor who has been floating around in my head for the past week or so, and wanted to see what you guys thought about him. I apologize ahead of time for the names of planets and people, as my brain kinda freezes whenever I try to think of one, and it sometimes takes me hours to come up with an acceptable one, so for the time being they are just stupid names which pop into my head. I also apologize for any major spelling/grammatical/or just plain weird sentences, my brain is kinda comatose at the moment, being sick at the moment and trying to write three essays as well as this... ;D

Aerchus Devaki was born on the newly colonized world of Ferix Six, to Gaius and Babette Devaki. His father was a retired Imperial Guard officer, probably a colonel or something along those lines with his mother being a daughter of a petty noble family.  The newly colonized Ferix Six was allotted for Imperial Guard veterans and after his retirement from the services Gaius moved with his wife there. However six months after Aerchus' birth the planet was struck by a Night Lord raid and nearly the whole planet fell to the traitorous scum, with the torments and agony of the populace being vox casted across the whole world. In this raid both of his parents were ruthlessly cut down by the traitor legionnaires under the command of one Ramachiel Bloodstar. After that long night ended the legionnaires melted off the planet and out of the subsector with the rising of a blood soaked sun. It was a terrible scene with bodies and remains that could no longer be called human scattered across the colony. When the Imperial relief finally showed up, and the survivors rounded up, the babe, Aerchus, was tallied as one of the few. With the death of his parents and no real kin to take him, the authorities decided to gift him to the local systems Schola Progenium, Hilaria's Hope, on the planet of Diometes Prime.

At Hilaria's Hope Aerchus found consolation in the Imperial Creed, and the Hymns of the Emperor and with righteous zeal he would rely on his faith in the Emperor to get him through the harsh realities at the Schola Progenium. After reaching the required age limit, Aerchus volunteered to join the Commissar Cadets, hence the next portion of his life was spent with the strict and hard training of the cadets. He first saw battle on the planet of Laurus' Reach in a brutal trench warfare campaign. However after the first and subsequent battles of the campaign Aerchus began to lose faith in the divine strength of the Emperor, he had seen too many of his colleagues die, in useless assaults which gained mere feet only to be repulsed again. His faith as such wasn't strong enough to shield his mind of doubts. However he learned to control the fear and his doubt.

After being promoted to full commissar, Aerchus was stationed with the 82nd Coras Guard.   In the next decade or so in which he was attached to this unit, he became soft, and became attached to the men and women of this regiment. And in the heat of battle he would be seen to try lead by example instead of by fear, and wherever possible he would try to save the lives of the troopers under his charge. This all came crashing down however on the ice world of Karax Primus. The entire regiment was nearly wiped out in front of his eyes, due to the incompetence of the planetary governor. In this action Aerchus also lost his left arm in brutal combat to one of the xenos scum. The loss of his whole regiment and his left arm pushed Aerchus over the edge. He blamed the ineptitude of the planetary governor for the loss of his regiment, and began to look upon the Imperium in a different light.

He was then decommissioned from active duty and from the commissariat and was sent to serve under the arbites at Hive Perseus on the planet of Orion. His charismatic ability and skills gained from the schola progenium and serving under the commissariat made him an ideal investigator. With recent rumors of a planet wide cult originating from Hive Perseus Inquisitor Cyrus Diomedes was brought into to investigate. Upon his arrival, Diomedes requisitioned the use of the planets best investigator, in which Aerchus was put under the direct command of Diomedes. The cult it was discovered had infiltrated nearly the entire Imperial government, with the planetary governor as the head of the leader of these depraved zealots. This further reinforced Aerchus' contempt for the noble class of the Imperium, where men were elevated due to family and contacts and not personal skill.

With the successful purge of the government and the destruction of the cult, Diomedes put it in motion that Aerchus be placed under his command as an inquisitorial acolyte, for Diomedes saw great potential in this uncommon man. By the time the Inquisitor had brought Aerchus under his fold, Aerchus had already formed his prejudices and he would continue to be blinded by his hatred for the corrupt hierarchy that was existent on most planets within the Imperium. After years of study and guidance under Diomedes, he was finally put forward by Diomedes to become a full fledged Inquisitor.

Under his own guidance Aerchus was pulled toward the radical sect in the inquisition known as the Recongregators, who shared many sympathies and ideas with the new inquisitor. Over the years Aerchus formed around himself a loyal key group of contacts and henchmen.

Wow okay, so not so brief, I apologize for that...

I haven't really come up with a stat line for him yet, but he would be more of an investigator than a hack and slashy inquisitor, with high sagacity and leadership around seventires, and fairly low weapon skills and ballistic skills like around fifites. Anyway let me know what you dudes think and so on and so forth.

Edit 1:
Alright here is a quick mock up of his stat line and some other goodies I forgot to mention

Appearance:
   Aerchus is reasonably well built, although years of working behind desks and not leading a very active life style means that he isn't as fit as he once used to be. He stands just above 6 foot one, with a wide build. He keeps his hair, which is starting to turn gray at the sides, short cropped, and usually can't be biffed shaving his face every day, and so is most commonly seen with a nice layer of scummy stuble. He has a bionic arm which was supplied to him after his left arm was mauled by xenos scum on Karax Primus, however he very rarely uses it, as he hates the cold feeling of the steal upon his shoulder and the clunky nature of the arm. And for other more personal reasons, such as in remembrance of the men of the 82nd who fell at his side. So most of the time it is kept tucked away somewhere.   
   Some would say that Aerchus Devaki looks more like an ex-commissar who had fallen on bad times, than a member of the inquisitorial order. Although his contempt for the commissariat and their blind devotion in the will of the Emperor, he still chooses to wear his old commissar outfit of a black dusty trench coat, which has seen the better part of a decade of use, and his commissar's hat, bearing a skull motif. He also carries around with him one his most prized possessions, his old bolt pistol which he was granted at becoming a full grade commissar. This ornately forged weapon is however not as practical as it once was, with the detriment of time slowly wearing away at it.   

Ws.    Bs.   S.   T.   I.   Wp.   Sg.   Nv.   Ld.
53    59    58   55   50    63   75   59   70

Equipment:  Bolt Pistol* one reload, Chainsaw Sword. Combat fatigues and Commissar overcoat – AV 3 on all locations except head.

*Due to the many years of service his bolt pistol isn't quite as effective as it once was, and so will jam on the hazardous action role, from RIA

Flinty

Ach, names are always a problem, what sounds neat to me one evening can sound like a reject from Hello Kitty Online  the next; personally I see nothing wrong with your efforts at all. I have to say the orphan, shining student, embittered cynic route is a tad stale, but each to thier own.

Stats look good, perhaps drop his physicals a little if he's turned into a porky desk hound (I sympathise with him there); stat lines can be a really effective way of showing a PC's past, as well as enforcing ''realistic'' play on the table top. Ive seen ancient intellectuals in all sorts of games suddenly put in a 10 second 100m when it suits and then find out that thier stat lines match those of much younger action orientated characters...
Neanderthal and Proud!

Whiley Burp

Thanks Orian, I will put them to good use!

Thanks Flinty, I don't know why names are such a pain in the arse. Yeah I was a little unsure about his physical stats, what do you think low 50's mid 40's? Unfortunately the whole routine kinda had to be the route for this dude, as from some of the research that I did into commissars it said that they mostly came from orphans, so I had to pop the parents, unless...I brought in some kiddie abuse by the parents or something and he ran away and became a sewer rat or something and then got picked up by the arbites or whatever the police are called and shipped to a Schola Progenium. Or I could have had him murder his own parents...but anyways I just went for the easiest option and popped the parents. But I could have done a whole bunch of things differently, and probably should have. But he is my first real Inquisitor character so I thought to play it on the safe/dull side and go with what I knew...

Flinty

Of course you are correct; virtually all Commissars are orphans who show a particularly enthusiastic grasp of parts of the Schola curriculum, and all orphans have lost thier parents. Schola entrants could also be illegitimate or otherwise ''embarassing'' to one or both parents, be sent as a punishment or accepted as a favour to a valued Imperial servant, and so on.

Two of the joys of Inquisitor that I rather like are:
a) The Universe is a big place - and within justifiable reason, anything can probably have happened somewhere, somewhen.
b) WYHBTIAL.

Combined, these allow for a fairly broad personal interpretion within the framework of the cannon to fit the character you want, and thats the third best bit of Inquisitor - the PC you want and not what a collection of self-appointed beardy obsessives (Lord of the Rings anyone?) claim are allowable.
Neanderthal and Proud!

precinctomega

Whiley Burp

My knowledge of abbreviations is pretty limited, the heck does WYHBTIAL and EYHBTIAL mean? I am at a complete loss...

Molotov

EYHBTIAL = "Everything you have been told is a lie!", the signature line to the Inquisitor game. I'd presume that WYHBTIAL means "What you have been told is a lie!", though it could easily be a mistake.

:)

INQ28 Thread | INQ28 Blog
INQ28, done properly, is at least the equal of its big brother - and Mol is one of the expert proponents of "done properly".
- precinctomega

Shannow

This explains a lot! As I too have previously had no idea what that meant :P
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tanhauser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain.

Time to die.

DapperAnarchist

You've been told that the abbreviation is EYHBTIAL - that too was a lie. Mu-hahahhahaha.
Questions are a burden to others, answers a burden to oneself.

The Keltani Subsector  My P&M Thread - Most recent, INQ28!

Whiley Burp

Of course what else.... Thanks Molotov...

Flinty

Ah... just proving the truisim of the acronym, it should of course be EYHBTIAL.

Serves me right for showing off, I only twigged the meaning a couple of weeks ago myself
Neanderthal and Proud!